Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Excal II, DP GG Amphibians, 10x12 SEF

Suncoast Kid

I solved some wiring issues by adding some mods to the Excal II. The Grey Ghost Amphibian headphones are a great improvement (Thanks OldBeechnut). The Volume knob allows you to turn it down to a comfortable level while turning it all the way up on the detector giving max sensitivity. They fit great also. The 10x12 SEF replaced a 10" Tornado which is a very good coil, but the SEF is noticeably more stable, has greater depth and sensitivity, and incredible depth in the Pinpointing/All Metal mode. The pinpointing mode has its own language and reaction to the target. The tones seem more distinct, fantastic sensitivity to very small gold targets. Rust-oleum truck bed liner was applied to the bottom of the coil to eliminate the need for a coil cover, carbon-fiber straight shaft This unit runs hot, if there's something there, it will find it. Seems about the same swinging it in the water, maybe a little more effort, but not a problem as I keep a slow sweep speed anyway. By far the best set-up I have used at the beach, in and out of the water. It has the ability to make some great finds, I can't wait to have some time and get out there and use it. HH :beers:

Personally I think Minelab cheated the Excalibur II and the consumer with the Headphones. Since mine has 11 months to go on the warranty I will have to suffer with them for a while.

The headphones, problems with the wires, and knobs that easily break, seem to be the most common complaints with the Excal. I've been through all of it myself, but It's still my favorite detector. I was in the process of doing, you know, the Pel%@* modification when I discovered the DP GG Amphibian headphones. For beach/underwater use, these are great, and the volume knob was exactly what I was looking for. They effectively block out the noise, produce great sound, and fit so well that you almost forget that you have them on.

NIce Looking setup Suncoast Kid! Love those Gray Ghost Amphibians..:thumbup:

Anyone interested I will have sets Ready to install for the Excalibur's and CTX starting this week....

Suncoast Kid said:
I solved some wiring issues by adding some mods to the Excal II. The Grey Ghost Amphibian headphones are a great improvement (Thanks OldBeechnut). The Volume knob allows you to turn it down to a comfortable level while turning it all the way up on the detector giving max sensitivity. They fit great also. The 10x12 SEF replaced a 10" Tornado which is a very good coil, but the SEF is noticeably more stable, has greater depth and sensitivity, and incredible depth in the Pinpointing/All Metal mode. The pinpointing mode has its own language and reaction to the target. The tones seem more distinct, fantastic sensitivity to very small gold targets. Rust-oleum truck bed liner was applied to the bottom of the coil to eliminate the need for a coil cover, carbon-fiber straight shaft This unit runs hot, if there's something there, it will find it. Seems about the same swinging it in the water, maybe a little more effort, but not a problem as I keep a slow sweep speed anyway. By far the best set-up I have used at the beach, in and out of the water. It has the ability to make some great finds, I can't wait to have some time and get out there and use it. HH :beers:

The only thing missing is the remote pinpoint/disc mod.............

AH. I've been thinking about it. That mod would be the icing on the cake. I'm sure I'll get around to doing it before I wear the pinpoint/disc knob out. Hopefully.

If you want to know what breaks and why ask me lol. The Xcal II just isnt the quality of the blue. The SEF coils are great coils but ive pushed the 13" around down here in the water and its work..... but then im old. If Joe did the GGA for you, you are good to go..... anyone else buying them to hard wire even needs to talk to him. There are a couple of things he does that HAS TO BE DONE or they could go south fast.

Dew

Yea, Joe (OldBeechnut) did the work on the Amphibian Headphones. He did a fantastic job with the wiring, sealing, all the way to the connector. The end cap is precision made, and even includes the O-Ring installed with Silicone Grease. All you have to do is plug it into the board, put the end cap on, tighten the two set screws, and you're back in business. Highly recommended and a big time saver for me. :thumbup: