Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Excal II Question

Yankees

Hello All, Updated to the Excal II and after a few hunts realized if unit is not fully charged im getting lots of falsing. I also experienced today that in discrim. she worked fine but as soon as i went to pp it was falsing each sweep. Is this something that you guys rhat have sent machines in were experiencing? Thanks

n/t

Also, PP uses no form of ground balance, so expect an unsteady threshold if you hunt in that mode as you pass over minerals and such.

I am thinking more info would sure go along way. How about your settings and where your hunting.

Critter you've got it backwards. PP is a smooth steady threshold until the coil goes across a target. Disc. is when the threshold changes. YANKEES try Disc. 0 Sens. 11 to 1 o'clock Volume as loud as you can stand it and Threshold barely audible hunt in Disc. put a nickle in one shoe and a dime in the other to check target sounds. Nickel sounds very similiar to gold and Dime for silver. Don't laugh you won't be digging a bunch of %#$@&* targets. HH :minelab:

I also agree about the threshold being smoother in AM not discriminate.
I used to hunt with a nickle glued to a boot. This was a good way to see if your detector was still tuned correctly. But since I got an Excalibur that all when out the window. While what hershey1 says is very true and will work very good for most. I hunt in AM 90% of the time now and that coin on the boot will sound of all day long on each sweep. But if you are going to hunt in discriminate go ahead and use that tip. It will certainly help you out.

If the threshold isn't super smooth in AM then the sens is probably way too high, i run between 1.5-2 numbers less in AM than disc, any slight repeatable change is usually a deep target.

I too hunt in AM a lot especially where there is not much trash as it will locate a lot of targets you could miss in disc. The best way to learn the Excallibur is to get out and use it trying different settings and figure out what works for the user at their location. HH :minelab:

hershey1 said:
I too hunt in AM a lot especially where there is not much trash as it will locate a lot of targets you could miss in disc. The best way to learn the Excallibur is to get out and use it trying different settings and figure out what works for the user at their location. HH :minelab:

Thats it:thumbup:

The fact remains that PP mode has a non-existent ground balance. Minelab even states that. As a result it will rise and fall over changing ground matrix and minerals. I can't even PP targets in PP mode some times because of it sounding off to nearby mineral content, and I'm not talking about iron or hot rocks being present. If I switch to AM fixed no target is present.

Critter if your machine does'nt work in PP as well then don't use it but just like you said you can't argue with results. HH :minelab:

If his machine doesn't work in PP/AM why use it. Your missing alot of deep targets?

Thank you all for the info, I guess I was use to using older Excal and ran it wide open on the Jersey Shore. Never had a problem need to do some experimenting wit the new machine.

Yankees said:
Hello All, Updated to the Excal II and after a few hunts realized if unit is not fully charged im getting lots of falsing. I also experienced today that in discrim. she worked fine but as soon as i went to pp it was falsing each sweep. Is this something that you guys rhat have sent machines in were experiencing? Thanks

I have noticed falsing at some beaches where there is wave action and current. However it seems to vary and I was wondering if it might be related to current charge left in the battery. Some one else suggested to me that with their Excalibur 2 that once voltage in the battery drops to a certain level they get falsing. When I do get excessive falsing it is always in the water, not in the wet or dry sand. And like I said it is typically at a beach with wave action and current. When this happens I wind up setting the sensitivity to the lowest point but even this may not be enough to compensate. Does this sound like your issue?