Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Excal knobs...

fishandchips

Hello everyone ,just came back from Atlantic city today. I lost 2 knobs from my machine. Can anyone tell me if they had any luck with the ones being sold on ebay. Thanks

I would recommend staying with the stock knobs as they are designed to slip and possibly fall off. My experience with the after market knobs is that they do not slip, in other words when you turn the knob to hard it may go past the physical stop and break the switch, then your looking at over 100 bucks in repairs at Minelab.

HH

I installed a set of the ebay ones. They work fine. As was mentioned, they do not spin on the shaft if over-turned. I don't worry about me turning them too far, but will never let anyone else use the detector because of the possibility. I have been considering getting some stock replacements though.

i bought a used excal 1000 .it works great, the only problem i had so far were the cheap aftermarket knobs on it. inside the knob are 4 little plastic pieces,they break easily. didnt come with the stock ones.

Call Minelab and they will send you replacement knobs. I had one stripped and ML sent me two. If you use the other kind and strip the pots it voids your warranty. Call 888-949-6522 or 877-767-6522 and someone will help you. HH :minelab:

fishandchips said:
i bought a used excal 1000 .it works great, the only problem i had so far were the cheap aftermarket knobs on it. inside the knob are 4 little plastic pieces,they break easily. didnt come with the stock ones.

The stock knobs have what looks like four little blue plastic pieces (it's actually one piece) inside. The nut under the knob cap pulls it upward when tightened too compress the four "legs" tighter against the potentiometer. This design allows the knob to spin infinitely without damaging the pot. The ebay ones use a set screw which won't allow any slippage.

is it that often people damage the pots. i just want a good set that wont fall off or break when i turn them. i am the only one the uses this machine and im pretty gentle with it.

If you have a shred of common sense you will not over torque the aftermarket knobs.
Use caution if you are detecting in cold water with gloves - losing feeling/dexterity of the fingers could cause you to crank too hard on them.

You may want to consider warranty issues before putting them on if your machine is still under warranty.
Of course it should only be n issue if the damage was caused by incorrect knob.
One note on the aftermarket (Anderson) knobs : They have a nice brass dome on the underside which rides nicely on the additional o-ring that I install on each shaft.
I grease an o-ring with silicone, put it on the shaft, then press the new knob gently a little before tightening- to pre-load the o-ring.
This helps, in my opinion, to prolong the life of the original o-rings by sealing out dirt and sand.
Also, you can get the knobs in different colors to make the threshold knob and the sensitivity knobs stand out from the rest, if you are one who constantly tunes while hunting.