Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Excal NIMH battery pack

JohnA

For those of you wanting to switch to NIMH easily, Onlybatterypacks sells a 1500ma pack for 45.00. I didn't find out about it until I had all ready gone the Batteries Plus route. A pain, since my local store didn't even have the 2/3 NIMH batteries and I had to order from a separate vendor.

Ya , and I got 1 ordered off of Ebay .Im thinking about a newer battery pod to go with it (if anyone wants to sell one , let me know )My next thing to figure out is what charger to use for the nimh battery pod ? Will my factory nicad charger work ,how long would it take ,if so ? Or could I use my battery tender that I have for my 12 volt Harley battery ?

The Batteries Plus guy told me the Minelab charger will work, but it charges at 60ma, so it would probably take all night. I am going to have my pack made next week.I didn't find out about the onlybatterypack until after I had ordered the 2/3AA NIMH batteries. I will also use a 900ma charger, but monitor how hot the pack gets. It seems the higher ma chargers heat the batteries up and that could be a problem in the plastic housing.

Im gonna try to use my RC helo battery charger when I get my NIMA pack, Its a Watt-Age PF-12, says 4 to 12 cell charging 250 to 2000 MA, computer controlled, think it was about 40 biucks at hobby shop, its 110 or 12 volt also.

I have a 500mah charger, but, I intend to do some more homework first. It seems that there is less chance of excessive heat buildup if you charge them longer. I may lean towards that, especially if I don't want to have to babysit it while it's charging.

Go and buy a PRO-PEAK PRODIGY from a model shop
Digital charger and discharger
Battery type nicd/nimh/pb/li-lon
Bttery cell 1-10 cell nicad and nimh
3.6-11.1v li-lon
2v-12v pb
charge rate 0.1a-3a 100ma step
Discharge rate 10ma-500ma 10ma step
Cycle Dischg to Chg to Dischg

No more hot batterys
Les

The Duratrax Intellipeak is the bomb. Also purchased it from a hobby shop.Will do both the NICAD and the NIMH packs in less than 2 hrs at 500 mAh. No more overnight hassles. Has all the advanced charging circuits so you don't have to worry about the overheating issues and it charges the packs correctly. About 100.00 but has a 5 year warranty. I tried one of the 30.00 cheapos that lasted 3 charging cycles. Classic you get what you pay for. Good luck.

Intellipeak Digital Pulse Charger. I no longer use the Minelab charger. You will have to use the plug off the Minelab charger though.

it's been two weeks now waiting for the new one. That would have been five weeks of no detecting. Thank God I have a backup battery. Not a very good way to do business.

I got one of those battery packs too. They sell a smart charger and adapter on their website to charge the pod which I also purchased. I think it will charge the pod in like 3 hours.

Hopefully they haven't hit a bad stretch. I got my pack in less than a week and no problems so far after at least 10 cycles. My first El-Cheapo pack charger lasted 3 cycles. Another story. Maybe your charger could be the culprit. Good luck.