Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

EXCAL V'S EQ800

mrcolin2u

I took my excal and my eq800 to the caribbean to do some underwater hunting.

Long story short, I found the EQ to chatty despite playing around with GB, noise and sensitivity. Maybe I'm just more familiar with the excal but it was more stable but it found 5 out of the 6 rings.

I still like my EQ800 it has worked wonders in other locations where others have failed .

A lot of people get used to the almost stable silence of the Xcal so yes the Nox can appear to be chatty especially out there deep where things can really change. Hard bottoms can contain a lot more minerals that the fluffed pushed up sand. Seems the Xcal is always going to be the one most compare their machines ....... especially new ones to. In the water the Nox could make you loose some depth (reduced sensitivity) or targets if ran to hot........ BUT if could get you some smaller gold the Xcal cant see. That would have been a good opportunity to ...... hunt an area with one machine...... then follow it with the other........ never know. BOTH machines are top notch water machines...... out of the water thou you have to give it to the Nox for depth and its TID screen

You didnt say where in the caribbean. Some places are rock, some places are deep shell-sand, and others are volcanic islands. You also didnt mention mode, IB, or recovery.

For most places in the carib, you don't need any GB. Noise cancel is damn near useless (needless) hunting in the water because the EMI doesnt go through water. Sensitivity should be the last thing to adjust, and it should need much change if everything else is set right.

dewcon4414 said:
A lot of people get used to the almost stable silence of the Xcal so yes the Nox can appear to be chatty especially out there deep where things can really change. Hard bottoms can contain a lot more minerals that the fluffed pushed up sand. Seems the Xcal is always going to be the one most compare their machines ....... especially new ones to. In the water the Nox could make you loose some depth (reduced sensitivity) or targets if ran to hot........ BUT if could get you some smaller gold the Xcal cant see. That would have been a good opportunity to ...... hunt an area with one machine...... then follow it with the other........ never know. BOTH machines are top notch water machines...... out of the water thou you have to give it to the Nox for depth and its TID screen

I hunted a swimming area with the Nox for 6 hours and found one tungsten ring. I went back to same area with the excal for another 6 hours and found 2 gold and 2 more tungsten.
The Nox has found things in my front yard that others have failed but maybe it's because I'm new to the machine but I am more comfortable with the excal underwater.

I think the excal is superior in salt water to the equinox. It should be costing new almost double the price of a equinox.

The excal is a silent machine not a lot of falsing or chattering and it finds everything, I havent had any issues with it except on chain jewelry. But thats okay minelabs are known for that.

Zinc Penny said:
I think the excal is superior in salt water to the equinox. It should be costing new almost double the price of a equinox.

The excal is a silent machine not a lot of falsing or chattering and it finds everything, I havent had any issues with it except on chain jewelry. But thats okay minelabs are known for that.

I bought mine slightly used with an Anderson shaft for a great price and it paid for itself first time out !!

mrcolin2u said:
Zinc Penny said:

I bought mine slightly used with an Anderson shaft for a great price and it paid for itself first time out !!

I have a Anderson or comparable shaft on my excal gotta go look at it again but it's amazing makes the machine so much more manageable. I've got 2 excals a Irish manufactured unit and a Malaysian unit and the Irish unit performs better, I've noticed a distinct quality difference.

I've paid off both machines by now. I paid off the CZ I used to have with a gold ring first time put with it.

I'm also curious about which caribbean country. I hunt throughout the Caribbean and have found that there is a extremely drastic difference in minerals among them.

mrcolin2u said:
I took my excal and my eq800 to the caribbean to do some underwater hunting.

Long story short, I found the EQ to chatty despite playing around with GB, noise and sensitivity. Maybe I'm just more familiar with the excal but it was more stable but it found 5 out of the 6 rings.

I still like my EQ800 it has worked wonders in other locations where others have failed .

This was covered in my post "salt water report card". My GT is an Excal with a few more options. In water, and especially moving salt water there is no comparison. Glad you had both machines there side by side!

Dave

romanceferris said:
I'm also curious about which caribbean country. I hunt throughout the Caribbean and have found that there is a extremely drastic difference in minerals among them.

I was hunting in low mineralized sand , I know there are some islands such as St Lucia have a lot of black sand in some areas.