Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Excaliber II eight or ten inch coil

Nock

I am considering getting me a excal some day and was woundering which coil is prefered ?

I have the 10" and like it very much. I've never used the 8", my friend has the 8" and likes it better than the 10" he used to have. He says it hunts better in the water, less drag and easier to pinpoint. If I ever have to change my coil I will probably go with the 8". The 10" will cover more ground in the dry/wet sand but if you're only hunting in the water, the 8" may be the way to go.....Either way, you will find the good stuff.....HH

While many feel bigger is always better that's not always true. 10 in is a huge coil compared to when we started hunting way back. That being said the 8" coil on a Minelab detector is a power full coil that can be tamed! Much easier to tune and retune durring the hunt.The 10" coil in the hands of a hunter that feels bigger is better is most often a problem. Because if bigger is better that more is better and the urge to pump up the sensitivity is present. The bigger the coil the less you need.This can't be expressed enough and I see it all the time.Hunters with the sens cranked to 8/9 and complaining its sanded in! So it comes down to discipline.All the other post are also very true so its a choice you make for yourself. Hope these post help you deside.
BCNJ

There is a lot of beach out there and i guess im one of those guys who wants to cover as much as i can. I get my share with the 10 inch. The 8 inch may be a little more sensitive to smaller targets and in trash. Its choice.... some like a PI some like our Xcals. Each of these machine have to hunted differently as will the 8 and 10 inch. Personally during those quiet days i switch to PP mode. If you have ever used a DD coil you shouldnt have an issue with PPing. Just get the right scoop the first time.... BIG.

Dew

THE 10 IN.. WORKS GREAT, BUT I BELIVE THE 8 IN.. COIL HAS LESS RESISTANCE IN THE WATER AND IS EASIER TO SWING. I RUN A GT, BUT CAN FEEL A LOT OF DIFFERENCE IN THEM, ESPECIALLY IN RUNNING WATER IN A RIVER. AS FAR AS DRY SAND, I WOULD SAY IF THE WEIGHT DIDN'T BOTHER YOU, USE THE 10 IN. OR GET A S-12 WHICH IS LIGHTER. HH-MARK

Obvious you have a lot more resistance nearer the longshore drift and shallower water..... but deeper out the 10 pushes along great. On the beach.... you really have to have your straight shaft ballanced or it can get heavy. Sometimes just moving your handle a bit closer to your arm cuff makes a world of difference.

Dew

Which you purchase should be based on where (conditions), time of year and what type of hunting you do, check out the locals and see what they use. I have a few water machines, I perfer the 8 (7.5 excal) in the water (calm & ruff) and the 10 for wetsand & occasional water. Have a WOT, good for winter sanded in Beach's for my area. If you do get the 8 on the Excalibur, you will aways think you are missing something, I grab the 10 most of the time and if it is the wrong choice due to the condition, I adjust and deal with it....

I've got a friend who uses the old 8" (7 & 1/4") BBS coil on his Excal and he does very well. Swinging my GT in the water the stock 10" Tornado is perfectly fine to me resistance wise even near shore with wave action moving a current in and out. I found the 15x12 was too much drag for my tastes in the water and wore my wrist out. Always seemed to be trying to force it to swing a little faster than the resistance would allow me to push. The 12x10 for sure is more resistance in the water than the Tornado. Probably why the S-12 seems more popular among guys using aftermarket coils in the water, as it ain't squarish in shape like an SEF.

Far as hunting the dry sand the 12x10 without a coil cover is lighter than the S-12. I think from memory the 15x12 without a coil cover is lighter than the 10" Tornado with a coil cover (weights are in the coil chart in the coil sticky).

If I was buying an Excal my personal choice would be the 10" Tornado on it, just because that 8" Tornado is so tiny at only 7 & 1/4" in true size, but like I said my friend does very well with his on his Excal. If your beaches are heavily mineralized or contain a lot of iron then the 8" would probably be the better choice, not just to see between the iron better but also because in some mineralized soils or sands a smaller coil will see deeper than a larger one due to a larger one sucking up too much ground matrix. My 15x12 didn't get as deep on coin/ring sized targets in my soil than the stock 10" coil, but it did get deeper in my mineralized beaches for some odd reason.

So far as your beach/water. if there is a ton of iron around or the sand is badly mineralized I'd lean towards the 8" coil, but if you are one who likes to move and cover ground faster, or hunting where a bigger coil should give you more depth, then lean towards the 10". I personaly couldn't stand trying to grid the water with a tiny coil not being able to see the coil to insure I wasn't missing spots during my grid, so that's one of the reasons why if I was to buy an Excal I'd get one with the 10" on it.

Yes - One of each would do you just fine!

My solution to that problem was to buy one of each. I use the 800 mainly in the water and the 1000 on the beach. good hunting, James