Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

excalibur cable length: information wanted!!

darkmark1967

Hello all,
recently I converted my old excalibur 1000 to take the 15" WOT coil, hardwired onto the circuit board, but now I want to use some waterproof connectors (probably Bulgin) so I can swap back to the stock 10" coil. However I was told by an engineer (supposedly trained by minelab) that cable length is very important as it will alter the resistance on the coil, and therefore sensitivity and depth. Does anyone have any info on this?
happy hunting
Mark

Yes if you added 100 feet it would make a difference. Go ahead and add your bulgin connectors, you will not have any problems at all. Depth and sensitivity should remain the same.

Bob

How is that WOT treating you? Stable? Fresh or salt water? HH an GL -Joe

darkmark1967 said:
Hello all,
recently I converted my old excalibur 1000 to take the 15" WOT coil, hardwired onto the circuit board, but now I want to use some waterproof connectors (probably Bulgin) so I can swap back to the stock 10" coil. However I was told by an engineer (supposedly trained by minelab) that cable length is very important as it will alter the resistance on the coil, and therefore sensitivity and depth. Does anyone have any info on this?
happy hunting
Mark

Like he said, length won't matter unless in huge quantities. Some on this forum have shortened their cables, while others have added extension cables on their Sovereigns for various reasons. The stock meter adds a hefty amount of extra cable length without issues too. In the coil sticky towards the end somewhere there are links posted for various waterproof connectors, including the ones you plan to use, and show even the right color codes and wiring to a WOT and such.

Thanks all,
it's as I thought but its always worth checking. Makes sense when I think about adding a meter. I hunt mostly in salt water and find that the 15" WOT can be a bit over sensitive especially operating on the waters edge, but the coverage is great. The coil is also very slim which makes it ideal for pushing through the water.
Thanks again,
Happy Hunting
Mark