Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Excalibur for land hunting?

hrefab

I have a White's V3I and while it's quite a machine, I'm thinking that I'm limiting myself with the fact that it's not waterproof. I Do also have an AT PRo and contrary to what all the "experts" around here tell me, it works pretty well in the ocean.. Just not too deep!

I was looking to trade my V3i for a 3030, but then thought that the Excalibur II might be a better choice. My real question is, does the Excalibur also have good performance as a land detector or is it really just primarily for the water?

Thanks in advance.

The X-Cal will work anywhere. But you would have to be able to recognize what tone each metal other than iron and steel makes. I have been using one for four years and I still am not absolutely certain what is under the coil. Changes in depth can slightly change the tone that the machine gives.

So I use my X-Cal at the beach and dig everything that does not get discriminated out.

I like your idea of using it on land, I'll have to give it a try but I have to wait for rain.
I did use a whites beach machine on land a few years back when I forgot my sand scoop and it did find coins - no problem.
I would love to hear about others who have done this.

I like using the Excal. on land. Gets a little heavy when using the stock rod though. I recommend using one of the carbon fiber over/under shaft offerings.

Why would u when ther are a ton of machine better suited. Will it work yes.... but it would be a ways down my list. Its designed simple which I like on the beach... but I prefer a TID for dirt hunting. Even some of the older used models have a lot of advantages over the Xcal as a dirt machine.

I agree with dew, I tried and did not like for I was use to land machines.

GeorgeinSC said:
The X-Cal will work anywhere. But you would have to be able to recognize what tone each metal other than iron and steel makes. I have been using one for four years and I still am not absolutely certain what is under the coil. Changes in depth can slightly change the tone that the machine gives.

So I use my X-Cal at the beach and dig everything that does not get discriminated out.

That's pretty much how I use my AT Pro.. The V3i will tell me what's down there, but I'm a little paranoid about getting it close to the ocean!

BigTony said:
I like your idea of using it on land, I'll have to give it a try but I have to wait for rain.
I did use a whites beach machine on land a few years back when I forgot my sand scoop and it did find coins - no problem.
I would love to hear about others who have done this.

I'm pretty sure that the WHITES Beach machines are all PI so you have to pretty much dig everything. I did see a WHITES that has three LEDs that are supposed to give you a clue, but Not 100% Certain.

dewcon4414 said:
Why would u when ther are a ton of machine better suited. Will it work yes.... but it would be a ways down my list. Its designed simple which I like on the beach... but I prefer a TID for dirt hunting. Even some of the older used models have a lot of advantages over the Xcal as a dirt machine.

Well, my first choice was to trade the V3i for a 3030, but I heard such glowing reports about the Excalibur that I thought I'd see what the fuss was about. I like my AT Pro because it does double duty. True that I could just get the Excal for the ocean and leave everything else at home, But if you can get double duty out of a machine why not?

I may be spoiled though with the screen on the V3i telling me a lot about what's under the coil!

As a WATER machine it excellent..... but the CTX is hard to beat as an all around machine. Its equal to the Xcal in the water and has everything u want for dirt digging..... that the Xcal just wont match with its salt setting. Use the right tool for the job. If I were still dirt hunting id have a CTX..... or maybe a dues.

Took the excal farm field hunting a few times and even found a half cent with it but i much prefer the sov gt for this type of hunting.. the mediocre factory headphones and minimal abily to make many meaningful adjustments to the machine make it just an ok machine for dirt hunting in my opinion...

dewcon4414 said:

I agree. Too many good dirt machines out there. The Excal is great in the surf, but man oh man what a beast to be lugging around in the dirt. But hey whatever makes people happy is OK by me.

dewcon4414 said:
As a WATER machine it excellent..... but the CTX is hard to beat as an all around machine. Its equal to the Xcal in the water and has everything u want for dirt digging..... that the Xcal just wont match with its salt setting. Use the right tool for the job. If I were still dirt hunting id have a CTX..... or maybe a dues.

Yeah, I am kind of drooling over that 3030, but now that you've brought it up, What about the Deus? It seems to me that the 3030 and the Deus are often put in the same category... The 3030 is along the same weight a the V3i (roughly 5 lbs) while the deus is at best what? 3 Lbs?... Comparing the three machines I think they might all be in the same ballpark.. The Deus just looks so minimal compared to the other two (3030 and V3i)