Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Excalibur Knobs very stiff

smkunder

Seems like each year my knobs on my Excalibur are very stiff and hard to turn, I usually break at least one to two knobs a year. I know these are considered sacrificial, but it seems that they break a little too easily . What are others doing to remedy this or is it just my machine. In 7 years I have gone trough 3 complete sets, so this tends to add up.

Maybe Beechnut will chime in but what I do is remove the knobs, spray silicone spray on the top O rings followed by electrical grease. Been doing this about every 6 months n it really helps n protects the O rings.

I agree with John, it is something one must do along with keeping up the cables also..saltwater or just dry and time will kill these parts.

So how many have switched to the aftermarket knobs?

I went with larger knobs just because of that. Yes I use spray or plumbers silucone..... but the larger knobs allow them to move smoother. When they are hard to turn you get to the stop and tend to give it that extra twist that breaks stuff. I also can feel it click out of auto and know when I reach the stop. The ones I use I got at radio shack with set screws. I replaced those wirh SS.... otherwise brass reacts to salt water causing corrosion u have to keep cleaning.... and its just softer metal.

Got my knobs at radio shacks, the ones about the same size as the originals. The big ones will cause u to go past the stops.

John..... i cant agree with you on that. I use two fingers and feel those stops MUCH better than with the smaller knobs and they move easier. I dont have to remove my headphones to hear when it clicks out of auto sensitivity, i can feel it click. I do something im sure most dont since i hunt in PP mode only. I turn my machine on AUTO sensitivity before i turn my machine on. Once its on i move the sensitivity just out of auto. I find it the best way to properly set your threshold with less knob movement. Since ive switched to these larger knobs ive not damaged a switch.

OldBeechnut, can you contact me regarding another issue. In need of a toggle switch hand grip and parts for my Excalibur 2 this is j8356ndj I am new this forum. Thanks!

Dew, With the bigger knobs u will have a tendency to go beyond the stops, that has been my experience. Good hunting.

John ive broken so much stuff that for me the large knobs have eliminated that. I couldn't feel the small knobs. Broke several as well as the switches. Started using the larger knobs few years back and havent had a problem since. Could just be im more aware and careful. Ive also been hunting with Joes PP switch tha helps.... since that and the threshold tends the be the ones that get broken.