Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Excalibur questions

artman60

Hi, I got my Excal II on Friday, took it out Sat and Sun. I loved it, am a believer in learning by doing, but reading and video can be educational. So first question to anyone who feels like answering, what books/dvds ect do you recommend for a quicker level of learning? second question, but most important, I am short, stock shaft is too tall, I have to hold coil up off ground, instead of letting my arm hang down. This is only a matter of 2-3 inches, but is enough that my arm is getting sore way too early. With the Fisher 1280, i have gone 5 hours with no problems. Which shafts would anyone recommend that will go shorter than stock? or I could easily modify to go shorter? The dive shaft, ( lower end) is too short for me to use on land, i'm not quite that short LOL. Thank you, Artie

The book they should give out with every new Excalibur, comes with a 30 minute audio CD. Covers from A to Z....I've used excaliburs for 7 years now, and I learned from the CD. CJC has several other books for the excalibur and sovereign..but this should be the very first one should own.

Sounds like you are using the dive shaft setup it comes with. If you ae then in my opinion you should invest in a straight shaft, Chuck of Indian Nations (a forum sponsor) sells some fine straight shafts which have an adustable clamping setup to allow you to slide the bottom coil shaft section in and out as needed to get the height just right. He is a fair man to deal with and gives great service in my opinion.

if you have enough of a gap left between the upper and lower shaft it might be just a matter of drilling another adjustment hole into the upper shaft ...however if your machine is new this could affect your warranty .... my excal has the S shaft and my sov gt has the staight shaft.... i and most people find the straight shaft is more ergonomically friendly ..... if you by an after market shaft just make sure it has extra adjustment holes so you can adjust it to your liking....

Thanks for all the feedback, I will be ordering the book soon. The shaft issue is, there is no room to go up the inside of the top shaft anymore, because of the holes with the springclips in them for holding the control unit, and battery. I am already in the next hole down, and about 2-3 inches less would be great. I am looking into an aftermarket shaft which I can cut, drill, to my hearts content without worrying about warranty issues. didn't know if anyone recommended, or had a preference, with the aftermarket shafts. Thank you, Artie

cut it to a shorter length & redrill the spring clip hole.......then if you decide later to sell the Excal you still have the original lower rod to put back on it.....HH...Tab.

That's not a bad idea either, good thing it's winter, and I've got all this time to get it right.Thank you, Artie

Artman60, I've been using EXCALS' for going on 13 yrs. with AFTERMARKET Straight Shafts from the VERY START!! The choice is you Buy It NOW, or you Buy It LATER after you go through SEVERAL HOURS of Unnecessary P-A-I-N (Sore Wrist possibly CARPUL-
TUNNEL SYNDROME)!! This is a Definite NO BRAINER, unless you want to HIP or CHESTMOUNT!! Not my cup of tea, but to each their own!!

1st Choice: PLUGGER'S EXCAL STRAIGHT SHAFT with a FANTASTIC SHAFT- LOCK ; Adjustable and MOVABLE HANDGRIP for
IDEAL COMFORT based on Individual Arm-length in RELATIONSHIP to ARMCUFF LOCATION and finally MORE LOWER
SHAFT Adjustment HOLES based on an Individual's Height!! INDIAN NATIONS DETECTOR SALES has fantastic pictures on
his website, and CHUCK MARCUM is a GREAT DEALER to deal with!!
2nd Choice: The EXCAL SHAFT sold by DEMARCO'S Detector Sales & REILLY'S TREASURE SCOOPS!! I'd personally stay away
from the ANDERSON'S EXCAL SHAFT (More EXPENSIVE & LESSER QUALITY, my Personal Opinion)!! You can see pictures
of the DEMARCO/REILLY Straight Shaft on their websites!!
Hope this helps you, BEST of LUCK, Les Robinson

Thank you al,l for the advice, I got a straight shaft from the place I bought the Excal from, I don't think he's a sponser here, so I probably shouldn't mention his name. It works great. I was at Cranes Beach yesterday for 4 hours, and today for 4 hours, didn't have to switch arms once. I think this issue is solved, now I just gotta get me a couple of books, and think about a chest mount. the Minelab hipmount is fine with me so far. Oh yeah, Knob Guards have been vehemently recommended. Artie