Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Excalibur Threshold

otlew

Well after two hunts, my "new to me" Excalibur 1000 has a constant high threshold, it cannot be turned down and it is loud. The switch must be bad because it will spin 360, how big a deal is it to replace the switch? Can you get the things? Of course I could be wrong, but the switch definitely is broken, cause it didn't spin all the way around when I got it a couple of weeks ago :ranting: :minelab:

is the knob loose maybe??does it spin all the way around??may need to tighten set screw on side of knob??
hope this helps out
hh
john

Unless U have aftermarket knobs there are no setscrews to tighten. Take yellow cap off and see if it is the cap or the knob that is turning 360. If it is the knob it needs to be 1: sent to Minelab or 2: another repair facility for repair

It is very important to know if it is just the knob or the whole switch. If it is the switch you are going to have to send it in.

OK well I took the knob off and turned by hand with pliers. No go, it looks like a trip for repair. The switch is rotating 360 past the detent, so it is toast. It still goes off and on, but I am not sure the wipers in the pot are moving as nothing I do will change the threshold volume.

Since it has no warranty is there an alternative to using Minelab for the repairs? Please PM if you don't want to post comments here.

Thanks for the pictures OldBeechnut,

I think we are talking about one of the switches you have labeled "Just hope its not one of these". I almost afraid to ask, but is it that these cannot be replaced?

Nothing that a Nice Big Honker Gold Ring won't cover when you get back out there, that's one of the perks of this Hobby.

So we are talking expensive then, but not impossible?

OldBeechnut said:
Nothing that a Nice Big Honker Gold Ring won't cover when you get back out there, that's one of the perks of this Hobby.

From what I have heard they can fix just about anything, very fair in pricing and fast service...........keep us up on this, there's alot of Old excal's out there.............Good Luck .Joe

Interesting pictures thanks OldBeechnut. The same happened to my New Excal II 6 months old. It's now 11 months old and going back again. For a threshold problem?
Is that roll pin a mechanical stop? They should have a fixed Mechanical stop set at 0 and about 270 degrees. That would surly prevent over traveling the end point!
On a side Note My brand new GT fell a part in 2 hrs hunting. The coil attachment point came out of the bottom tube. This is a fairly common problem in a detector as they age, the glue just fails. Facing sending the Excal going back I chose to re-glue it myself.
Poor quality control?

I have emailed the outside repair concern and I am waiting for an answer. I hope to get it shipped and back before I start a job in mid-January. I still have my dig it all Sea Hunter and a Sovereign so I'm not out of business. Its good to have backups. The sad part is that I was just getting to understand the Excalibur when this happened.

OldBeechnut said:
From what I have heard they can fix just about anything, very fair in pricing and fast service...........keep us up on this, there's alot of Old excal's out there.............Good Luck .Joe

When I realize that Minelab has less than a fair reputation for getting work done promptly, and done well , I really think I would opt for an outside repair person to do the job if you are out of warranty anyway ..... Look at it this way ....Minelab is the one putting in these failing parts to begin with ..... I'm just waiting for a failure on mine !!.....There MUST be a better way of controlling an ongoing issue on the same detector ....not to mention that somebody must make a better pot to put in it's place ..... The machine that you will be using in the roughest conditions seems to be the most fragile , and then to have to depand on a company that is going through repair and quality control issues has me thinking about going elsewhere for my next water machine ....When my Excal breaks and it's going to be a costly repair , something else will take it's place .....or , as much as I didn't want to have to waterproof something myself, it may be a better alternative !!.....GraveDiggerMax has the right idea with his SE Pro waterproofed !!.....Jim

Jim,

While it may be a bit of upfront trouble and expense to waterproof a land use detector, that may very well be the better route.

synthnut said:
When I realize that Minelab has less than a fair reputation for getting work done promptly, and done well , I really think I would opt for an outside repair person to do the job if you are out of warranty anyway ..... Look at it this way ....Minelab is the one putting in these failing parts to begin with ..... I'm just waiting for a failure on mine !!.....There MUST be a better way of controlling an ongoing issue on the same detector ....not to mention that somebody must make a better pot to put in it's place ..... The machine that you will be using in the roughest conditions seems to be the most fragile , and then to have to depand on a company that is going through repair and quality control issues has me thinking about going elsewhere for my next water machine ....When my Excal breaks and it's going to be a costly repair , something else will take it's place .....or , as much as I didn't want to have to waterproof something myself, it may be a better alternative !!.....GraveDiggerMax has the right idea with his SE Pro waterproofed !!.....Jim

OK i just gotta chime in here, by outside repair your talking other than min lab repair right??? if you choose to send off to anyone other than min lab service make sure you right down all your PC board numbers down and battery pack numbers and all serial numbers down as i did, i got back a completely different machine after a huge expense of sending next day air to get serviced quickly then it was over a month after the promise date, still i got back another machine, Ive not tested machine out yet. just sending out a warning here, i didn't get my machine back mine got switched, why?? lots of excuses were given after i confronted said person about this, so beware....
just thought id post this
good luck
john

otlew said:
Jim,

While it may be a bit of upfront trouble and expense to waterproof a land use detector, that may very well be the better route.

synthnut said:

As you probably remember I was less than complementary about Minelab service several months ago. I finally did get my excal 1000 back after 2 months and to be fair-it is working properly, they addressed all my issues, bent over backwards to get it back to me (same day air) and waived the charges due to the time element) I have been using that machine almost exclusively since it's return 4-5 days a week before this cold front hit with no problems. Granted I have 2 other excals to fall back on in the event one or possibly 2 should need service but in MHO they will go back to Minelab should that happen and not because they did not charge me for the repair but because they made them and they fixed it-simple as that

Errik,

If this is truly, meaning as a consistent policy, the response that Minelab has adopted, then I say, finally someone in management has put the customer's expectations to the top of the list of priorities. Good report thanks.

otlew said:
Errik,

If this is truly, meaning as a consistent policy, the response that Minelab has adopted, then I say, finally someone in management has put the customer's expectations to the top of the list of priorities. Good report thanks.

IMHO Gary Schafer, VP Minelab America is bending over backwards to get Minelab back on track after the big move both here and abroad. I am sure things will get better as time goes on

You put up with a lot of crap from this guy and you spent a ton of money and he lied to me also.