Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Excalibur tones cd

ARAWORN

Hey all, just got an Excal 1000 with the Excal 2 coil. Have been hunting in All metal and checking in disc when possible, seems to be working. As I'm new to the Excal would it be worth the cash to buy the Tones CD that are available? Or any of the books or are they just a re-hash of the other Beach an shoreline books. Any help would be appreciated. Particularly of interest is if thetones CD is worth it.

I think that 'new to the Excal' folks will benefit from Tony Diana's audio CD. And congrats on the new machine!

Having the Cd can not hurt anything. But at the beach I do NOT leave any target in the sand that shows up in DISC. Yes I scoop up quite a few bottle caps and pull tab and on occasion a ball of foil but Gold Rings can sound like about any of those trash targets. Unfortunately my hearing is such that I have problems sometimes in hearing the difference in various targets. Other days I know its a zinc penny before I dgd and am surprised when it turns into something else in the scoop.

Experience is the best teacher... take a few clad coins and a piece or two of gold and silver into the backyard and take mental note how each item sounds...you could also watch a few of old beechnuts videos that he is in disc mode if you want to hear different tones.. it would give you a good benchmark .... spend a day in the sand..it will come to you quicker... enjoy ...

Im just a put in the hours and half the fun is learning those tones. Machines very....so of course so does tones. You can get tips out of books.... but ive never been found short cuts... since gold is where it found especially recent drops. U will learn water movement, tides and how wind may move things. DONT expect to be a lunch time hunter .... read a beach and always bring how gold.

Back when I got my first Excal (original sword model, bought used) I got the audio CD. Practiced calling targets to myself, but could only really call between zinc and copper pennies when they were fairly shallow and in clean conditions (not partly masked, not black sand and not eaten by corrosion where the zinc's sound like tab, nickle or foil). Then I got a blue tube with DetectorPro headphones. It sounds different. More recently I got an new Excal II and it sounds different than either of the other two. The detectors basically react the same, but enough of a difference in tone between the three that I don't try to call targets with any of them. I just determine if iron and how big. Huge targets I may not dig; iron nulls I may not dig.

It is nice to hear that lower nickle / tab tone and hope it is gold and not nickle or tab. Then again, last year I got a good sized wedding band that sounded like a quarter. I was very pleasantly surprised to find 14K gold in the scoop.

The audio CD is an interesting exercise, but my opinion is that time learning the detector is better spent in actual hunting conditions. If you like interesting exercises, go ahead and get a copy of the CD ... and put in your time hunting.
Cheers,
tvr

Thanks for all the replies. Think I will skip the CD and continue without it and dig anything that gives a response in Disc.

I like the surprise of a gold ring or Silver so I try not and guess anymore, anything that beeps in PP I dig until I get a good solid ID in Discriminate. After that If it gives me a tone it's coming out of the hole.

Wow, surprised you guys don't like the CD. I found its value in learning how to listen to the sound and hear the various components of it, not hearing a sound and relating it to what I hear on the beach. I couldn't agree more that experience = learning but I do think folks new to the Excal can benefit from studying various sources when they cant be on the beach. (and popping in a CD on the drive to the beach instead of listening to the 'news' or some headbanger has got to be more productive!). Good Luck!

Never have used that CD, I hunt the beach and dig up all targets in disc, also hunt in PP but use disc to check out, have gotten pretty good at guessing what I'm about to dig up but I have been fooled before, best to just hunt, listen to the signal and dig it up, don't leave anything behind that disc says it's good. I do have Joe's PP mode on mine so makes it alot easier to switch.... HH

I have the CD, and do listen to it on the way to the lake sometimes. It helps to refresh your memory a bit, when starting out the season. Another valuable tip that I gained from it, is attaching a couple different targets to your water shoes as a sound check, for when your ears get fatigued. I used gorilla glue to adhere a dime on one water shoe, and a nickle on the other. You will be surprised how far off your hearing can get through out the day. Deeper targets also start sounding different.

(I have found a few targets that were good, when they had the exact signature as a bottle cap.)
Not very often though. Usually the other way around.- Sounds good at first, then it works in that warble sound as you are rechecking the hole while trying to recover the target.

Note: The SUN RAY shoes are the best thing I ever bought for water detecting. These are going on the 3rd season, and still are very good condition. All the cheap water shoes wear the bottoms off right away, and fall apart. I can scruff the gravel/rock bottom, and not tear the rubber off. We have a lot of broken glass and sharp objects in our lakes, so I feel it is absolutely a must to have a well built water shoe for protection and comfort! I think I paid around $60-$70 for these- Worth EVERY penny!