Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Exciting new Whites detector huh!

SNOWY

I have a detecting buddy who has Parkinsons...
He has a deep brain probe to control his Parkinsons, and has to avoid strong RF like microwave ovens, welding etc.
He can't use Minelab broad band spectrum detectors because of the RF they put out, worse still are the full band spectrum Explorers/E-Tracs;
they put out extremely strong RF fields.
He is currently using a Garrett GTI2500, ~ and the RF of this is fine...

Anybody here know if the Vision puts out fields as strong as the Sovereigns or Explorer/E-Tracs ???

He and I are VERY impressed with the Vision, we are in Australia :ausflag:, and they haven't arrived here YET !!!

I reckon we both want one....

I KNOW WE BOTH WANT ONE !!!

Thanks __ Snowy :detecting:

Hi,

I'm going out here on a limb because I have never seen this question asked, much less answered. I therefore must disclaim this with a statement that "I really do not know".

That said, the V3 is different in that you can choose one of three frequencies instead of running all three. I would have to think that if there was an issue in three frequency mode, choosing one of the single three frequencies would solve the issue.

But then why have the V3? Check out the feature list. Even in a single frequency mode it is impressive, but only if it offers something your buddy desires. Like the ability to design custom tone schemes.

The GTI2500 is a good detector. I cannot swear the V3 would do better if the GTI2500 is PROVEN to work well for your detecting buddy. I can only speculate that if your buddy sees features in the V3 that he really wants that it may be a pretty safe bet.

Sorry to couch the answer in such wishy-washy terms. But the question is a very difficult one to answer.

Steve Herschbach

Thanks for responding Steve, I appreciate it...
My buddy has a US built RF meter and he takes RF readings for his protection, he has had some surprising readings!

The Minelab sovereign, and Explorers drive his meter into the red zone while reading from the handle area.Hi faithful old GTI2500 is AOK...

He is like me, ___ stirred up by Whites amazing Vision!!! :jump:

I guess he'll have to wait until the Vision hits our shores...

* RF is a concern for anybody who has a deep brain probe.

If you could tell us what meter he has, one of us might might have or have access to one and run some tests Snowy.

Thanks Larry,
I'm heading off for a weeks trip to the Victorian goldfields in a few hours, and won't be able to respond any time soon...
It's somewhat late to give my buddy a call right now.
I have sent him a link to this thread, ___ hopefully he will post while I'm away...

I appreciate your response, thanks again. :cool:

Snowy

Snowy I have been concerned about rf output for some time.
I found a web page with "Free Cell Phone Radiation Shield" that is supposed to block cell phone and computer radiation. It is a free download from: Sacredgperiodcom or Freeshieldperiodnet. I printed the pattern out and put it in a sandwich bag and have it on my control box on my detector. I also have one on my computer. I have nothing to do with these web sites.
I would like to know if you guys would download the pattern and put it on your detector and test it with the meter your friend has to see if it does work? I have no idea if it works or not. It would be kind of nice to know if it does work.
Good luck in the gold fields..... Z

Thanks for that Zeekeys, I'll pass this on to my mate ! :super:

Gotta go and pack for the trip, ~ have a nice Easter everybody !!! :)

Dont know if this will help but have been using the DFX for several yrs and just got the new V3 .I have a (ICD) implanted cardio defibbrilator.It is located in my upper left chest. It is made by medtronic. They have told me so long as im not putting the detector or other RF emmiting devices with in 6 inches of my ICD I am fine.Would think the manufacturer of his device would know best. Yazoo

Steve, I got back from my weeks break last night, and see that my buddy hasn't posted yet,
so I rang him and got the details of his meter, and some of his findings...

My mates meter for measuring electromagnetic fields is a USA built "Trifield" meter.

The measurements he was interested in were magnetic field measurements.
The units were in magnetic fields are measured in milligauss, the range he was using was 1 - 100.

His deep brain implant is a "Medtronic Neuro stimulator" Model 7428...
Readings below 3 milligauss is considered to be a safe level for this stimulator.

My buddy took his readings at the control box of some detectors, the Minelap PuIse inductions ( GP extreme
3000, and 3500 ) measured around 100 at the control box, __ as did both the Explorer and Sovereign.
The X-Terra 70 measured only around 40 ~ 50...

His beloved Garrett GTI 2500 measured only 4 !!! ~ He did get a reading of 100 at the coil.

The Garrett GTI is really good for this situation,
~ he will have to get hold of a Whites V3 to do some measurements before he buys one.

People fitted with these stimulators are instructed not to get within 10 feet of an arc welder,
also to avoid airport walk thru detectors, to be careful about being too close to microwave ovens also.
CB/Radio transmitter antennas, electricity sub-stations, generators can also be a hazard.

This is why he is concerned about his detecting.

Thanks,

Snowy

Content Types
All Publications Journals Book Series Books Reference Works Protocols Subject Collections
Architecture and Design Behavioral Science Biomedical and Life Sciences Business and Economics Chemistry and Materials Science Computer Science Earth and Environmental Science Engineering Humanities, Social Sciences and Law Mathematics and Statistics Medicine Physics and Astronomy Professional and Applied Computing 中文(简体) 中文(繁體) English Deutsch 한국어 日本語 Fran

Very interesting Sweepdog...

Thanks for that !!! :)

He's truly concerned about the possible problems, this guy and his wife both love their detecting.
They've been hunting for over 20 years, and wouldn't mind 20 more !!! :cool:

Tanks,
Snowy:smoke:

Most manufactures make modifications "only for their models they sell in UK" to reduce Electro Magnetic Interference (EMI) output. UK has strict laws requiring low EMI, and requires a significant testing / certification process prior to commercial sales. Added costs doesn't justify the modification for all models as countries outside the UK do not have strict EMI requirements.

White's, having a factory in UK, makes it simple to keep such minor model differences transparent to Distributors, Dealers, and Customers.

White's Spectra V3 units soon to be sold in UK, are now certified for low EMI output. These EMI modifications do not effect detector performance in any way, simply better disperse extraneous EMI. Metal detectors are held to a higher standard for low EMI output as they are considered recreational. Medical electronics/equipment and automotive alternators can have up to 1,000 + times higher EMI output compared to a commercially sold metal detector.

Models made for low EMI (UK) and those made without EMI concern (USA and Australia) usually look identical and few even realize their is any difference. However, any manufacture's models sold in UK are likely different, having lower EMI output.

Chances are, the same model purchased from Australian or USA Dealers, will have a much higher EMI output compared to the exact same model purchased from a UK Dealership.

It is easy to mistakenly consider, model "X" is certified low EMI, when only the versions of that model sold in UK are actually modified for low EMI output. In other words if you telephone a manufacture and ask, is model "X" certified for low EMI output, they will likely say, "YES, we sell that model in UK". However, to get one that is actually low EMI, you would have to buy it from a UK Dealership.

If your friend wants to work with White's Australian Distributor / Service Center, they can arrange a special order, or add the low EMI modifications for him.

Gold Search Australia
Tony Mills Distributor
76 Broadway, Dunolly Vic 3472
Telephone: (+61) 03 5468 1877
Fax: (+61) 03 5468 1667
info@goldsearchaustralia.com
www.goldsearchaustralia.com

Steve, thank you so much for your response...

Tony Mills knows me, ~ he's a great guy...
And once more Steve you have helped us greatly !!!

Thanks again....:smoke:

Snowy

snoopy1.gif

The reply from Steve Howard answered a lot of questions.

That "Trifield" meter of my buddys has been a very interesting instrument for him...

I work in a metal detector dealership, he brought his meter to the shop, and
the Minelab Sovereign, and Explorer nearly blew his needle off the scale !!!
He took all his readings at the controlbox/handle zone, as in his case his implant
is under the skin of his chest on his right side, close to the control box.
He is particularly aware when he gets down to pinpoint/recover a target...

He has even gotten high readings from inside :wacko: some automobiles......

But hey; this RF issue is only a possible issue for folks with stimulator implants,
I believe those of us who are not fitted with these implants, should have no worries.

But those who have an implant ought to consider any warnings issued with these implants.
As said below ~
"The situation is more complex, however, for active implants like those used in cardiac or neurostimulation therapy, where the electronic, conductive, and typically elongated nature of the implant increases its overall susceptibility to EM fields."

That last line to do with the elongated nature of the implant refers to his situation, as he has a cable running from the implant directly to his deep brain probe.
I'm guessing a heart controlling probe would have a shorter cable...

Anyway 'nuff said on this issue, and thanks to all you people for your answers and inputs...

smokin.gif

Snowy