Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Experiences on Iffy Signals

earthmansurfer

What have your experiences been thus far with the CTX and Iffy Signals?

Initially I was finding that the CTX rarely gives up good targets on iffy signals as it seems to have better signal processing. But that said, I am still digging some good targets on tough signals (albeit much less than on the E-Trac). Generally these signals are deeper and around iron, no shock there. I've had three good silver targets on iffy signals at 7" - 9" and maybe 3 iffy signals on other coins at 8" - 9". (All in the last week).

I have found running my sensitivity hot in manual often makes the signals jumpier but, it gives me just a bit more depth than auto.

I find that 50 Conductive (minimal disc) in ferrous coin falses much more than Combine with ferrous coin (in my somewhat iron mineralized ground). I generally use an open Combine as a check for 50 CO. But, I still dig those I think might be good, even if they give an iron sound in Combine as sometimes combine is wrong (but it's right much more than wrong). Just learning the machine so digging extra.

In my ground, high trash jumps around a bit on deep targets of zinc, but not so much on coins in better shape. The E-Trac jumped around like mad in high trash, but it was a very decipherable language.

So, you can watch this video (which is in the classroom forum but I want some discussion, so it's here too) and tell me what you think and what you have found out.

Thanks,
Albert

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIEieKy2Ghw[/video]

This is not that iffy of a signal except from two directions (one plane) due to some of the iron. But, I think it is a great example of comparing the occasional nulls in 50 CO to Combine and it's low grunt iron sounds. You really have to listen when in Combine so as to not miss a target via audio masking. (Hopefully in an update they add some iron volume control to make that less likely).

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSePgXAA_7A[/video]

Thanks for taking the time to show us the differences in modes

:minelab:ctx3030
:minelab:Etrac
:whites:m6
:garrett:pro pointer
Ulster county ny
http://www.youtube.com/user/firefighter2542005

I would say that my experience has shown that "iffy" signals that are below the 6-inch mark and exhibit a 4-way tone are worth the time to dig them. By "iffy" I mean you get a solid audio tone but the VID bounces. For example, I dug a 7-inch deep Buffalo nickel yesterday in heavy iron that threw out a solid audio tone, but the VID bounced from 12-09 to 10-22 to 12-39 (iron falsing). I dug it because the audio response was solid two ways and again two ways after turning 90 degrees over the target.

I have not had luck when digging iffy 1 or 2 way audio tones, regardless of depth. These have ALWAYS been rusted iron for me. Not to say that it will never be a good target at the bottom of the hole. I think the added stability of the CTX lets us know a good target from falsing.