Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Expert tips on settings

Hello

Was watching a vid on the Equinox and some well known users were saying don't ground balance use the pre-set O, iron bias on 4 to stop iron chattering, and keep the recovery speed on about 6. What are your thoughts on this? https://www.facebook.com/joan.allendetect/videos/1593447717442305/UzpfSTE1NzYzNTQ0ODE2NDA1MjoyMTEzMDU2OTYxMzAzNjA/?q=joan%20allen

Stop worrying about what settings another person uses in a different site and possibly a different country. There are no magic settings. Change things to match your ground, your site, your targets.

Faster recovery lets you find mixed targets better. Slower recovery gives you more depth.
More iron bias gives less falsing. Less iron bias lets you find conductors closer to iron.
The manual says not to GB unless the ground is actually causing problems. I am beginning to falter on that; maybe slightly adjusting it to fit your ground would help. I have been playing with it and in MY GROUND it at least hasnt hurt.

Yep, what Jason said! :thumbup: HH Randy

I would agree to not worry about others settings. My other suggestion is to pick a mode that looks like it matches where you are hunting and just noise cancel and use some factory presets for a while, they are well thought out combinations that work well out of the box!
After a few hunts when you get more comfortable start with a few adjustments.

Laplander

I think a lot has to do with the term AUTO GB. ML really hasnt said...... but it seems like manual, auto is a FIXED GB which doesnt adjust once set. If you want an adjusting GB you would need to go to tracking which is more aggressive than most needs. I did read an article in Searcher where Gordon said to use default 0 GB PERIOD. But like you said Jason..... we are here and he is there. Not certain if you are getting an AUTO GB that is really high that a 0 GB IS best. BUT.... is a high GB designed to run smoother...... loosing depth to weak targets?

dewcon4414 said:
I think a lot has to do with the term AUTO GB. ML really hasnt said...... but it seems like manual, auto is a FIXED GB which doesnt adjust once set. If you want an adjusting GB you would need to go to tracking which is more aggressive than most needs. I did read an article in Searcher where Gordon said to use default 0 GB PERIOD. But like you said Jason..... we are here and he is there. Not certain if you are getting an AUTO GB that is really high that a 0 GB IS best. BUT.... is a high GB designed to run smoother...... loosing depth to weak targets?

When I have messed with GB on mine, I set it manually. pump the coil up and down and listen to the threshold. If you get that iron grunt, bump it up a number. Continue until you you start getting a conductive response then back it off a few numbers until reach a neutral area. So far, my setting has been around 6 or 7. When I did a garden test, my max depth dime at 0 GB was no different when setting the GB to its neutral point (I think it was 6). No better response, but no worse, although I realize this was a very tiny change for my dirt.

I agree with Jason you have to find what's right for you. I read a lot of posts and only apply what may help me. I mostly learn from experimenting on my own and see what works best in any given area.

I can say this unless you are an expert the out of the box settings on the Equinox will serve 99% of the people that use detectors well. The folks at Minelab know detectors better than any of us.

My past experience with using settings from the top experts on three different detectors was the basic settings would find 95% of what the experts find with highly modified settings. You must remember these experts are going deep and have a trained ear to listen for signals we blow off as nothing. One more thing most of these guys are paid consultants.

My advice is use it and learn it.