Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Explorer SE Problems

Hi everybody,
I am wondering if anyone else is having problems with instability, falsing, and general poor performance on their Explorer SE. I bought the SE last September, as soon as it was introduced. Work and home life kept me very busy and I was only able to use the SE 2 or 3 times before the snow flew and the season ended here in Massachusetts. I was having these problems but chalked it up to it being a new machine and a little different than the EX2 I was used to, so I figured I needed to learn it a little bit. Well, the weather was nice yesterday and I went for my first hunt of the season. Still having the same problems. It doesn't operate smoothly at all, even when the gain and sensitivity are dropped way down. Also, the high tone falsing is enough to drive you crazy. I use ferrous tones, so these high sounds are what I am looking for. It's constantly falsing high, and I am constantly resweeping only to find there is no target to be detected. I also noticed that if the ground isn't completely smooth and flat, the high falsing will occur. That is, if I bounce the coil on the ground, every bounce will give a high false tone. Detecting in the woods or any at all uneven terrain is impossible with the machine as it constantly falses when bumped. The general performance is lacking as well. When I do get signals, it doesn't lock on like Explorers of the past. I do like the faster processor.I am thinking that I may have a coil problem. I checked all my connections and they are good and tight. There is no dirt between the coil and the cover. I tried it with and without the X-1 probe. I also tried it at multiple site using multiple programming scenarios. I am going to try my Platypus coil and Stealth X-8 coil on it and see if that makes any difference. If not, I am going to have to send the whole machine into Minelab. It's my vacation week this week so I had planned to do some hunting. I am disappointed to say the least. This is my 4th Explorer. I had a used XS, which I sold to buy a used EX2, which I sold to buy a new EX2, which I sold to buy this new SE. I have been using the Explorer for a few years now and have become adept with the machine. These problems am having are not user error. If anyone else out there has a similar situation please post back here or e-mail me direct at TPRaymond@msn.com with info.

Thanks in advance,
Todd

I bought an SE last fall and had similar problems only my High tone falsing was all across the top from right to left. And yes I am not new to the explorer either.
At the time I thought it was just a very sensitive machine. Then I decided to trade it off for an XT70.
Well I always liked the explorers so I bought another SE this last week. I hat to say this but this new machine is 100% better than the other one. It is a dream to run.
I would first call Minelab and do some intense questioning and get answers the you agree with. Second step of course is to take advantage of your Warranty. I know from past experience that they will make it right.

Thanks for the reply Bob. Yes, it does high tone false all across the top. I did get a very early production model. Maybe some of these early units are defective. It's good to hear that you got a new unit and it's working properly. I was looking for some input before I went ahead and contacted Minelab. I know Minelab has a reputation for great customer service and hopefully my issue will be resolved quickly.

Hey, Todd--
I know what you're talking about.. I had about 2 1/2 years on the Explorer II before I bought the SE. Something doesn't seem right to me either. In fact, the first one I bought had to go back to them because it was really acting stupid.. They replaced it and I've hunted with the new one for about 30 or 40 hours now.. Yes, I've made some finds but all the falsing iron really makes it difficult to discern the good from the bad..

I've contacted Minelab about this issue and customer service told me they didn't think they could help. Then I asked them to forward my e-mails describing my falsing issue, to the software engineers. I'm still waiting on a response and hopefully an explanation.

I agree.. This is not an operator issue. Perhaps it's a software issue

Good Luck..
Joel

HELLO TODD called minelab today about this they gave me somthings to try but most of them i had done allready. I'm gonna try a couple more setting in the next week if that's no help it's going back . hh don

Joel,
Thanks for the reply. It seems there are some SE's that people love (like NH Bob's new unit) and then there are units that may have issues. Maybe certain units have a flaw. It is good to hear that Minelab replaced your unit. That shows they are trying to do the right thing. That is what everyone has always said about them. Sorry to hear that your new unit is acting up as well though. Maybe you just got unlucky twice. Does Minelab know your replacement unit is not up to par as well?

Take care,
Todd

I'm having similar problems. What is interesting is that two people now have reported these problems with their first machines, but their second SE's seem to be running fine.

I was going to trade my machine back to my dealer for a used Explorer II but now I think I'm going to send mine back to Minelab and have them look it over.

Hi Don,
Long time no see. Sorry to hear you're experiencing the same issues with your SE. Let me know how you make out.

Take care,
Todd

Charles,
VERY interesting that newer units resolved problems. I know that I got one of the very early units. Mine was from the first shipment that went to dealers.

Take care,
Todd

Well I Really wasn't going to Publicly Broadcast My Issue...

But I'm in the Same Boat... I Bought it 1/23/07

Since it's out in the Open ... You may as well add me to the List....

I'm getting some serious Falsing Myself Using Default settings...

I've even tried lowering the Sen's but it was still very Erratic.....
I've contacted Minelab and informed them of the situation and I'm currently awaiting a Response....

I'm not sure if I should take this up with my Dealer First... But I have asked Minelab to inform me as to How or who I should contact with this issue....

Thing that Sux for me is that I'm getting ready to leave for a Project in PA.. And I'm going to Be there for 10 weeks or soo....

It sure does "Blow" that I'm having this Problem... Especially when heading to such a History Rich Area.... with No back up in case I have to send it In.....

I do have a New Excalibur But I'll be inland mostly.....

I have Only had a chance to use my Explorer Se 3 times since the weather Broke here in Co...

And All 3 locations same falsing issues.....

Now there is Nothing in the Coil Cover No Interference above... No Metal on my Sneakers..

3 locations consisted of different soils.....

1: Area was very Grassy Undisturbed soil

2: Area Very Used Park area Undisturbed soil

3: Dry Stream Bed Sandy with small Rocks....

[quote Elevatorguy]Joel,
Does Minelab know your replacement unit is not up to par as well?

Well, Todd--
I'm not sure that my replacement machine is not up to par. But what I can say is that some of the SE advertisement statements so far are just not so...Like this one...

Improved Threshold stability in noisy / trashy environment. Less false signals; cover more ground faster.

You guys should all compare serial numbers, NH Bob is not having problems. Compare his number to yours, both good and erratic and see if there is a common factor. This would be good ammo to present Minelab with.

mtpockets,
Thanks for the reply. It seems like a good number of us have machines that are not working properly. Our specific problems also seem to be very comparable.

Take care,
Todd

The SE does seem more sensitive to the ground iron than the ex2 this is just my own opinion. I think the se is just a more powerfull detector no faults in the design its just the nature of the beast so to speak. I do find my self digging more iron with the se especially nails i am not sure why. Having said that i have been pleased with the depth on medium sized coins - better than the ex 2. Hotter on nickels too the se seems to be better than the ex 2 on nickel coins. .