Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Explorer SE Problems

My serial # 16079 and I've had to reduce sensitvity to 18 or below to get it to calm down thereby losing a lotta depth. My EXP II never had this problem

I was reading a Ralph @ Sunray thread tonite dated Nov 29 2006. His comments were around the X-1 Probe and falsing, but wouldn't it be the same without it. Somewhere I read that the gain set at 10 is best so I set it there a few weeks back and his old post just made me realize it. Haven't tried reducing it yet...just found this and thought I'd pass it along.

"The X-1 is designed to be used in either disc or pinpoint. However, you should always be in disc mode when switching to probe and also when switching back to coil. If using pinpoint with the X-1 make sure you move the probe away from the target before switching from disc to pinpoint so as not to detune the target.

Your gain setting of 10 will definately cause falsing with the probe especially in highly mineralized or very damp ground as it will respond to every false very loud. Try backing off the gain - even 8 (factory pre-set) is quite high in most conditions). If you are running a high manual sensitivity you may also encounter falsing with the probe. If that happens, simply push the button to semi-auto while using the probe and then back to manual when finished. I personally use the X-1 in disc first to confirm the target ID, then pull the probe away from the hole (or target area). Then I push pinpoint and go back in to zero in on the target for exact location. I then push it back to disc while making the final retrieval to avoid the de-tuning affect you get if leaving it in the pinpoint mode too long. Hope this helps."

Ralph is correct on the probe, my X1 probes all false above a gain of 7 in our local soil. But then so do the main coils. On the SE I field tested the gain and found the scale to be no different than the XS or II. I turned my SE gain down to 5 and medium deep targets got way to quiet, I really had to pay attention to hear them. Since these same targets blast out loud and clear on my XS and II with my gain at 7 if someone told me I had to run my gain at 5 on an SE to reduce the falsing I'd say, forget the SE I'll use my XS or II. Keep in mind I have heard pip-squeak DEEEEEEEP silver signals with my gain at 7 that I almost missed so a gain of 5? Not happening.

I also tested the sens, again I did not see a difference between the XS and II regarding the sens settings. Sens 26 on the SE gave about the same performance as the XS and II in terms of depth. The SE WAS hotter on small targets than the XS, so I'm not saying there is no improvements. But again if someone said I had to run my sens at 18 or 20 to get the SE to operate properly I'd say no thanks, I'll use an XS or a II.

The last day I tested the SE, I tested the ML 8 inch coil on my SE. I had to turn the sens down to 20 and the gain down to 5 to get it to smooth out in terms of the falsing, never mind that is a much smaller coil than the stock coil. Depth went out the window. I put the stock coil back on, bumped my settings back up to sens 26 gain 7 and it falsed like nobodies business.

Then got a solid repeatable high pitched signal, silver quarter ID. It reapeated good and I mean really good from all angles except one. That is normally a 100% dig it signal on an XS or II and a virtual lock to be a good coin. I dig it up and...2 inch square nail. I was floored, I have dug litterally thousands and thousands of targets with the XS and II and I have never seen them fooled like that. It wasn't even bent, dead straight. I walked immediatly to the truck and put the SE away, been using my XS since.

Talked to Sandy at Minelab today. She acknowledged that there is a problem with my machine. She wants me to pack up the control box and coil and ship it to them in Las Vegas. Looks like no hunting will be done on my vacation. Sandy did speak to my local dealer and got them to agree to let me use an Explorer XS display model if I choose to, although I declined. I understand that nothing's perfect and things are produced with flaws, but it doesn't change the fact that I am disappointed about not being able to hunt with my new SE on my vacation. By the way, what's a used SE worth guys? I am going to need to insure it when I ship it back to Minelab.

Try using the SE as directed in the manual and see for your self if it helps. There are a scad of machines out there that all should be used with an inch of space between the coil and the ground. So to me it is not unreasonable to try what the company requests.

These are the same settings I have always used on all my explorers and try to duplicate as close as possible with other brands that I own.

I will be sure to let everyone know what happens. I am not sure of the turnaround time, but when I get news, you all will get news.

I have ESE 12480 it is a super machine unfortunately I just sold it on ebay. Haven't recieved payment yet and already kicking myself but need to pay down some bills. I just thought I should add my experience and the machines serial number to the mix since it is coming down to that.

Does anyone use the menue setting at options and use the accept or reject option for coins.ferrous coins , jewelery and so on?