Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

explorer to e trac

My new E trac will be here monday, for a coin/relic machine I have been using an explorer II. How easy is the transition? I have really enjoyed the explorer, but my wife has an e trac and when she asks a question I have not been able to answer. So now we will both be using the same relic machine. I am open to all comments and recomendations for the transition

claytargethntr

I swtiched from an explorer to the Etrac about a month ago. The first couple hunts were a little confusing, but after spending some hours with it, you should start getting familiar with the differences. The depth meter on the Etrac is a little different as a signal 1/4 to 1/2 way down the meter may be only 2 inches down depending on the size. As with any machine, just make sure you dig lots of targets the first few outings so you can get familiar with what each good and bad target sounds like and also their ID readings. As with the explorer, if it sounds very good and has a consistent repeatable signal that is probably a good target. Broken sounds or targets where the numbers bounce around generally turn out to be junk. All I can say is I was skeptical about the switch but after my first month I only wish I had bought an Etrac sooner. It is a great machine. HH- Eric :)

Personally, it was easier for me to become more proficient with the E-trac than it was with my Explorer SE. I guess it depends on how your ear / brain connection is wired. I found more in a much shorter period of time with the E-trac.

You have a GREAT advantage. Your wife already has one. Use hers for awhile and if you start getting "hot" with it, make the switch. You easily be able to tell whether you'd be better off with an E-trac or if you've become so good with the II that it isn't worth the money for you to upgrade.

Thanks for the info. I do wish I would have taken the. Chance to use my wife's machine. I just never took the opportunity this past winter. On of the biggest reasons for me moving to the e trac is she would have a question about her machine and there was enough difference in menus and such that I could not answer. I found a decent price on an e teac and decided it would be much easier if we were using the same machine. I am looking forward to an update in technology. And have a pretty cool plan for my explorer II ( a good friend that has been working an entry level BH is going to get a surprise package in the mail). Monday can't get here fast enough

Claytargethntr

The transition is almost non-existent from an Explorer. You will love your ET. It is a great machine and the fact that you and your wife will have one will make you both progress very quickly as you can teach each other tricks as you go along. You will be very happy with your decision, of that I am sure. Let us know if you have nay questions as we are always here to help and I look forward to seeing your finds very soon. Sounds like you are a very good friend, that will surely top up your "hunting karma" for your new ET. HH -Marc

Just wanted to say, I ran an explorer se for 2 1/2 years and made outstanding finds with it. It was a heck of an upgrade from the whites xlt I had been using.
Then got an Etrac about 8 months ago, using it at least 10 to 14 hrs per week.( had a very mild winter)
Also followed the boards for tips and tricks and studied Andy's book when not hunting or working.

Deepest coins with the etrac was a merc at 11 in. and a walker half at the same depth. Also found my first morgan dollar with the etrac.
I took the etrac back to places I had hunted with the pro and was basically disappointed. I had this one site in particular I wanted to hunt.
Anyhow about 3 weeks ago I decided to get the pro back out and hunt the particular site again and found an old wheat and barber dime. and then 2 hunts later at the
same site pulled out an indian and another barber dime.And had found diddly(couple wheats) with the etrac at this site on numerous hunts.

Got to thinking about what I'd found with the etrac and decided if I'd been using the pro I'd found them anyway. I have pulled 11inch dimes with the pro also.

I feel like I give the etrac a fair chance and did find a nice little pile of silver but I'm going back to pro.
I suppose if I had gotten the etrac first it would be my detector of choice. To me there is a transition between the two machines, When I got the etrac I didn't use the pro at all,
I put it away in the closet until about 3 weeks ago.

Different coils make a big difference also

. I ain't trying to hack anybody off but for me the cost was not worth it. It comes down to preference of what you want to hunt with
and how slow or fast your willing to swing the coil.Some people will only drive fords and some will only drive chey or cadillacs and by God wouldn't be caught in anything else because that's the best there is.

Some of the Etrac's settings trash high and ground difficult, smaller coil size, sweep speed, and possiably the 15khz frequency of the At Pro and the angle of the direction your hunting/sweeping at then coming at it from a different 90 degree angle all make a difference especially the last stated one the direction of sweeping.

I have both machines and a couple of other detectors and haven't found anything with my At Pro that I missed with the Etrac except a double stack of 2 wheat pennies that were corroded so I may have not liked the signal with the Etrac and a silver dime that I may just have outright missed from not slightly overlapping my sweep or detecting direction.

Going from an EXII to the Etrac the main thing I noticed is that Minelab rotated the screen 180 degrees, or in other words, turned it upside down. Where rusty nails came in at the upper left of My EXII, they now come in lower right on my Etrac. Other than that, the Etrac is a silver magnet!...........NGE

I got it today and only got to go out for about an hour after work. Minimal discrim lower right corner. Right now it feels like chatting with a Britt. I recognize the language but not quite the same. A little time in the field will fix that though

Thanks for all the info

Claytargethntr

Just wait till you put it in multi-tone quick mask. Can you say "calliope?":yikes:.......NGE

This machine runs better with discrimination so try at first the stock coin program and set it to Auto +3 and Trash High and Ground Difficult run up the variability to 30 and volume to 30 and then later on you can go open up the discrimination pattern if you like but I still after 2 years am using the stock coins pattern and haven't really missed anything much. Nickles sometimes will just give off a blip of a hint of a sound and after your brain recognizes that tone I stop to investigate it better. No mistaking the good high tone sounds though.