Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

external battery

sargojim

Do any of you guys hunt with the external battery hooked up. If so how much additional hunting time do you get with it. Thanks

Do any of you guys hunt with the external battery hooked up. If so how much additional hunting time do you get with it. Thanks
I carry it with me but I do not connect it to the Legend, I have never had an issue with my legend running low on power but I generally only detect 5 hrs tops, and usually when I quit detecting I still have power and charge when I return home

Battery consumption depends on a lot of factors, so YMMV… but in my case, it easily lasted a weeklong camping trip.

Haven't used it since, as Legend's built in battery is more than adequate. I see a few possible benefits to external battery:
  • Battery capacity reduces with age. Replacing a built in battery on a waterproof machine could be pricy (once it's out of warranty), and an external battery would be a viable option in this case.
  • It nicely balances an 11" (and helps in balancing a 13") coil.
  • If you only charge the external pack, it will reduce wear&tear on charging/phone port of your machine.
  • You gonna look like a 𝔰𝔢𝔯𝔦𝔬𝔲𝔰 𝔡𝔢𝔱𝔢𝔠𝔱𝔬𝔯𝔦𝔰𝔱!

I prefer wired headphones to the hot blue tooth that come with the Legend and using the external battery eliminates that option. I have some ear buds coming soon and if they work I'll try using the battery to see how it redistributes the weight. It seems a little more weight at the forearm might be a real plus.

Ive noticed if you run 4khz (mainly have to in the real high EMI area we fight) then the main battery runs out fairly quickly. Ive gotten to the point if I decide to start in the EMI and the battery drops to 1 bar after awhile I can quit and move away and back to SMF. The battery indicator usually comes back up to half or three quarter on the gauge and I can finish out the day with no concern on power.
But to answer your question I have not had to install the spare. As we go camping and the campground is an old logging camp I can see me running out and using the spare to get thru the four days we are out!

I e hot one its nice not to worry about battery running screen light high, different frequencies, anything putting extra drain on battery.
Just be careful who you order from.
Bad boys Bad boy what they gonna do what they gonna do when they screw you too

Should i say
Big boys Big boys what they gonna do what they gonna do when they screw you too

I prefer wired headphones to the hot blue tooth that come with the Legend and using the external battery eliminates that option. I have some ear buds coming soon and if they work I'll try using the battery to see how it redistributes the weight. It seems a little more weight at the forearm might be a real plus.
Put the 6” coil on and it evens the weight put and balances nice

Battery consumption depends on a lot of factors, so YMMV… but in my case, it easily lasted a weeklong camping trip.

Haven't used it since, as Legend's built in battery is more than adequate. I see a few possible benefits to external battery:
  • Battery capacity reduces with age. Replacing a built in battery on a waterproof machine could be pricy (once it's out of warranty), and an external battery would be a viable option in this case.
  • It nicely balances an 11" (and helps in balancing a 13") coil.
  • If you only charge the external pack, it will reduce wear&tear on charging/phone port of your machine.
  • You gonna look like a 𝔰𝔢𝔯𝔦𝔬𝔲𝔰 𝔡𝔢𝔱𝔢𝔠𝔱𝔬𝔯𝔦𝔰𝔱!
To your point running the external battery not only lets you run all day at any settings but minimizes the wear on the internal battery.
Put the 6” coil on and you won’t notice any weight difference if anything actually balanced better

Put the 6” coil on and it evens the weight put and balances nice
I have little use for the 6" and the initial run with Tozo G! earbuds does not give me much desire to try again. NM may have screwed the pooch by making wired headphones not the normal standard anymore. Never have understood the need of wireless headphones , just more complications with pairing , charging and upkeep but some just seem to always need the latest "thing".

I have the bluetooth that comes with the Legend and can't understand why anyone would prefer those to nice behind the head phones. Over head ear smashers also give me a lot of TMJ discomfort and I prefer to wear a brimmed hat here in the desert , no sense wearing a brimmed hat if you have to roll the sides up. Ambient noise is seldom an issue , actually nice to have a little situational awareness these days , but you can still fake that you can't hear when a member of the curious public comes asking questions.

I have the bluetooth that comes with the Legend and can't understand why anyone would prefer those to nice behind the head phones. Over head ear smashers also give me a lot of TMJ discomfort and I prefer to wear a brimmed hat here in the desert , no sense wearing a brimmed hat if you have to roll the sides up. Ambient noise is seldom an issue , actually nice to have a little situational awareness these days , but you can still fake that you can't hear when a member of the curious public comes asking questions.
The utter lack of behind the head LL headphones (and bone conductors) is my pet peeve too. At the peak of summer and in the mountains, I want to wear my cowboy hat, not a friggin' shemagh!

I have little use for the 6" and the initial run with Tozo G! earbuds does not give me much desire to try again. NM may have screwed the pooch by making wired headphones not the normal standard anymore. Never have understood the need of wireless headphones , just more complications with pairing , charging and upkeep but some just seem to always need the latest "thing".
Well you can also not use any headphones as i do.
I think the biggest draw back to wired headphones is the obvious of being tethered to your detector by your head.
If that isn’t uncomfortable I don’t know what is.
I see the low latency bt headphones as
A long time finally resolution.
Never issues with pairing the headphones that come with it, i have heard problems with other brand detectors though.
Being bt the option of many other low latency headphones as well as the headphones that come with it, option to use wired if you like or non at all i think they actually covered all bases

The utter lack of behind the head LL headphones (and bone conductors) is my pet peeve too. At the peak of summer and in the mountains, I want to wear my cowboy hat, not a friggin' shemagh!
Get the wired XP backphones and you will never go back and they're like 25 bucks with terrific sound. Have gotten a half dozen folks to try them and none of them use the others anymore. I prefer to use real dealers versus supporting Amazon

Last edited:
Get the wired XP backphones and you will never go back and they're like 25 bucks with terrific sound. Have gotten a half dozen folks to try them and none of them use the others anymore.
Do they come in wireless lol
Like going back to a corded telephone after using cordless and cell

Do they come in wireless lol
Like going back to a corded telephone after using cordless and cell
Just get a bluetooth transmitter and plug the backphones into it , that's basically what the Minelab WM10 is and a number of brands have similar set ups but require a headphone port to plug into. NM screwed up by not having a dedicated charging and headphone ports on the Legend. I did nort use the Bluetooth headset tha came with the legend , just paired it and knew immediately I was not going to use it in 95 degree heat. The TOZO earbuds have 45ms "speed" but the lag is unacceptable even in the gaming mode , not to mention the complications involved in using them , another entire set of of "procedures" one needs to go through versus putting a set on and going detecting.

Just get a bluetooth transmitter and plug the backphones into it , that's basically what the Minelab WM10 is and a number of brands have similar set ups but require a headphone port to plug into. NM screwed up by not having a dedicated charging and headphone ports on the Legend. I did nort use the Bluetooth headset tha came with the legend , just paired it and knew immediately I was not going to use it in 95 degree heat. The TOZO earbuds have 45ms "speed" but the lag is unacceptable even in the gaming mode , not to mention the complications involved in using them , another entire set of of "procedures" one needs to go through versus putting a set on and going detecting.
I do agree that there should have been a dedicated charging port for the detector where you could plug the external battery instead of having to use the headphone port or dedicated headphone port. Either one would have made a better set up.

I do agree that there should have been a dedicated charging port for the detector where you could plug the external battery instead of having to use the headphone port or dedicated headphone port. Either one would have made a better set up.
I, on the other hand, disagree. More ports equals more potential points of failure, especially for a waterproof device. The fact that you can't plug an external battery pack while using wired headphones is just a mild inconvenience, IMO… acceptable sacrifice in the name of waterproofness and overall rigidity.
Now, about that external battery pack… I have quite a few questions. It's supposedly waterproof, right? Yet it doesn't have an IP(X) or depth rating. And since it's waterproof – why won't they implement a secondary headphone connector on it, so one can actually hear the machine while wading or snorkeling? It'll be a tight fit, but it's doable…

I, on the other hand, disagree. More ports equals more potential points of failure, especially for a waterproof device. The fact that you can't plug an external battery pack while using wired headphones is just a mild inconvenience, IMO… acceptable sacrifice in the name of waterproofness and overall rigidity.
Now, about that external battery pack… I have quite a few questions. It's supposedly waterproof, right? Yet it doesn't have an IP(X) or depth rating. And since it's waterproof – why won't they implement a secondary headphone connector on it, so one can actually hear the machine while wading or snorkeling? It'll be a tight fit, but it's doable…
Well I actually think its set up fine because I prefer wireless headphones to wired, so i would never use the port for headphones. It was more or less for someone that posted they can’t understand why NM is going with BT headphones standard as opposed to wired and not having a dedicated port for headphones.Something about NM “screwing the pooch” and doing it because people just want the latest and greatest in wanting wireless.
I look at it the opposite and can’t understand why people would want wired and be tethered by your head to the detector. Not sure if he ever used a cordless or cell phone as opposed to just a corded phone, i would think that would be similar to why most people would want the wireless version and why NM chose to go that route. I suspect the future trend is towards wireless.
He explained how the wireless is more complicated with having to charge, sync, etc again similar to having to charge a wireless phone and connection being more complicated but to me that is just a minor inconvenience as opposed to only having the option to making calls on a corded phone just like before cordless and cell phones.
Maybe I’m looking at it wrong.
As for the depth rating on the battery im sure they designed it to go as deep as the detector is rated other wise they probably would specify. I think the BT headphones although not waterproof still work if the detector is underwater.
If in the case you want to be completely underwater detector, your whole body and all they have waterproof headphones you can attach you just can’t have the battery connected as well at that point. At that point you are really diving. Although still doable up to 10 feet you can either use waterproof headphones or it’s vibrate mode which was partially designed to work in underwater situations. If you are planning mostly extended dives to hunt then really you should be looking at a dive machine specifically since you wont even be able to see the screen. I don’t think it was designed to really be a dive machine but still impressive that you can actually dive up to 10 feet, hunt the dry sand, the park, relic hunt the fields and prospect all with the same machine for $600