Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

extreme capabilities & performance - Garrett ATX

JimmyCT

Interesting detector. However, I am baffled by their statement of "No extreme pricing. Just extreme performance." In the video (3:15 mark) they state that with the extreme capabilities and features one could pay 2-3 times more but not with the ATX. With an MSRP of $2,495, to me this would be "extreme." I couldn't even fathom paying $2495.00 never mind $4990.00 or $7485.00 for it.

http://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby_garrett_atx_video.aspx

http://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/pdfs/garrett_atx_introducing_lowres.pdf
ATX KEY FEATURES
 Maximum Detection on all targets at the same time. No
need to switch modes to enhance detection of one target while
degrading another.

 Advanced Ground Balance: has wide range to ground balance
from heavily mineralized ground (ironstone) to saltwater without
switching to special modes.

 Exclusive Design DD Searchcoil: enhances detection of small
items without having to slow down the scanning speed of the coil.
 Motion and Non-Motion Modes: provides optimum performance
based on your hunting preference and conditions.

 Fully Collapsible: the ATX can be operated with its stem fully
extended, fully collapsed, or anywhere in between.
 Quick Iron Check feature and adjustable Discrimination

The ATX specs state that it has discrimination adjustable 25 settings.
Is this something new to PI detectors?
My limited understanding of PI and how it differs from VLF is that a PI really doesn't have discrimination, which is why I hear its not the best for trashy locations with a lot of iron.
Thanks in advance for any information.
HH

No doubt a reference to the Minelab GPX 5000 which has an MSRP of $6995 and is commonly discounted to $5795. It is a big seller for Minelab at those prices and Minelab has pretty much run away with the premium high performance market. Garrett seems to believe the ATX compares favorably to the GPX, therefore the reference. However, that is setting the bar very high, and I admit to being skeptical. Still, if the ATX addresses some of the shortcomings of the Infinium, especially the problems with EMI and instability in saltwater, it will be every bit worth the price to me.

This detector s a niche detector. It's not meant to replace the ACE or AT Series. It's strengths lie in hunting for gold nuggets, hunting for deep jewelry and relics in well thought out places. It's a PI and will punch through very highly mineralized soils where VLF's struggle. I have several years experiences of hunting with the Infinium (also a PI), hunting mostly fresh water lakes and woods. My first year using the Infinium, I got these rings. I got these in hunted out lakes. The Infinium, due to it's excessive depth, found a whole new crop of rings that other detectors missed. From reading the specs so far, it appears that the ATX is an Improvement over the Infinium. Some examples are an improved coil, both motion and non motion hunting modes, an auto frequency scan, a volume control, an external speaker and a quick iron check.

If this is as good as they say its going to fit my bill perfect ,pack it on my back and hit the tracks on my trail bike ,I Will get to all the spots now ,hope the coils arn't made out of that that brittle resin that's not good in extreme country hunting even with coil covers they get knocked about,Waiting Waiting BAZZ

IF it does everything stated on the box well, it will be a good machine and well worth having.

bik-il said:
My limited understanding of PI and how it differs from VLF is that a PI really doesn't have discrimination, which is why I hear its not the best for trashy locations with a lot of iron.
HH

I want to know the answer to the Disc. question too. Also wondering about how slow you have to hunt with this machine.

bigfootokie said:
bik-il said:
HH

I want to know the answer to the Disc. question too. Also wondering about how slow you have to hunt with this machine.

We will just have to wait until the ATX is available......

Steve,
I suppose this was the post I was looking to read. This puts things a litte more in perspective for me. If this machine excels as well as the GPX 5000 then I would agree with their statement, "No extreme pricing. Just extreme performance." Thanks for posting - Jim

steve herschbach said:
No doubt a reference to the Minelab GPX 5000 which has an MSRP of $6995 and is commonly discounted to $5795. It is a big seller for Minelab at those prices and Minelab has pretty much run away with the premium high performance market. Garrett seems to believe the ATX compares favorably to the GPX, therefore the reference. However, that is setting the bar very high, and I admit to being skeptical. Still, if the ATX addresses some of the shortcomings of the Infinium, especially the problems with EMI and instability in saltwater, it will be every bit worth the price to me.

I have to admit that just looking at that machine has really got my OCD kicking in.....big time.

They have changed their epoxt resin recipe...its not briitle or as heavy now.

The adjustable 25 settings of Discrimination has my attention.............:bouncy:

When I first saw "no extreme pricing", I was thinking somewhere around $1500.00 or so. Yikes....

Thanks Bearkat that was a good move on the coils,I lost 2 days out of 5 with EMI spikes on the ML 5000 last trip,couldn't tame the beast no matter what,this detector should run much more stable in that situation and not having an umbilical cord attached to me will give a lot more freedom,would have been good if they added wireless headphones but that can be sorted,one would feel at home with the iron audio if they own the AT ,I like that.every thing seems so simple on the controls ,just turn on and get down and get dirty ,no spending waisted time programing this and that,seen some funny sights with people walking around with laminated cards trying to work different programs for their detectors,When does it hit your stores,they say in mid October here in Aus ,good luck Bazz

those of us wanting one will find a way to justify it, no matter what the price.
200 hunts over, say, 2 years, about 12 bucks per hunt.
Throw in a gold ring or two and you know the rest. . .

"See, Honey, its actually not really a hobby, its a sound investment that pays for itself. . ."

Now go tap the kids' college fund and get swingn'!

bik-il said:
those of us wanting one will find a way to justify it, no matter what the price.
200 hunts over, say, 2 years, about 12 bucks per hunt.
Throw in a gold ring or two and you know the rest. . .

"See, Honey, its actually not really a hobby, its a sound investment that pays for itself. . ."

Now go tap the kids' college fund and get swingn'!

Good point, but basically all detectors pay for themselves if you use them long/often enough. At least all of mine have over four decades or so. These prices are getting nuts though. Then again, if nobody buys them....

You know you're getting one! LOL
I'm still waiting to understand the operation of the adjustable discrimination.
Prices have gone wild as you say.
Oh well, the waiting...

Form follows function B-)
Field test please?
Will it replace my TDI?
Love the compact nature and puddle prowess.
Hope the new features out weigh the 5.5lbs land use penalty.
Did I mention Field test please :)

Its very rare that i get attracted to a new machine but this one certainly has,of course i wont part with my wonga untill i start to see a minimum of 6 months reviews and videos as i am not one of these folks that go out and must have the latest super duper detector,but if it does as someone else has mentioned what its says on the box then i may try and find the combination lock to my wallet.

Its not the case that i cannot afford one,but i look at it in as a long term expenditure and do i really need one,as you can tell i am very tight when it comes to spending money :thumbup :

[attachment 274296 DSC02375.JPG]I think good car ATX, anxious to see in operation when you/he/she is sold in Italy
I attach photo it chases of today
Algerio