Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Extreme Detecting between storms of the decades OR Testing the 15" Equinox Coil on the Spanish Trail :thumbup:

Cal_Cobra

Just returned home from a crazy road-trip. We had a work event in Las Vegas last week, and we had some equipment to haul in.The company said they'd pay my gas, so I decided to drive it, and take a few extra days off and go to one of my old Spanish trail sites to detect on my way home. What a trip it turned out to be!

Snow blizzard on the way to Vegas. Then from Vegas to California, was one of the worst rain storms in like 50 years...I was out on a little two lane, twisty, curvy road that routes you though the mountains and it started out as just small oozes of mud filling areas of the road, or wet slicks as water filled the roads, but as I progressed higher into the mountains, it was progressively worsening, now small streams and creeks and boulders were taking over the road, then massive mud slides onto the roads.

The road would worsen. The roads were washed out and flooded with white water rivers now taking over, filling the road with a debris field of rocks, small trees and brush, and tons of sand. One one occasion I was blasting through what amounted to a massive river flowing across the road, and while trying to blast though it a massive sand bar under the water attempted to trap the car, but luckily the FJ is a very capable off road vehicle, and it was able to make it though this and many more obstacles to come. So after all this, I get to my destination and the motel had canceled everyone's reservations because they had no water or power. Great, now I'm out in the middle of BFE with no place to stay and I'm not driving back through raging water flash floods. I ended up spending the night in my FJ Cruiser in the middle of the desert. It was a weird night, to be made even more strange by the fact that the only radio station I could pick up out there was playing Indian chants all night - LOL

Between storms, I managed to get in a day of detecting, but with an even larger storm system nipping at my heals, I decided to head back before it hit the fan!

I managed a good day testing the 15" Equinox coil at a site that's been stingy lately. Tom and I hunted it the last time we were there, and neither of us dug a single coin, but for whatever reason the Equinox lit it up :hot:

Enjoy!

Flickr account is buggered up, else I'd post a still pic, but here's the video:

https://youtu.be/PnTvEx6tOgY

GL&HH
Cal

One more for the cache, well done Cal!! The 15 is working out well bringing an old site back to life. You probably needed the stress relief after the Armageddon weather you have been thru. Care to share your modes and settings?

Jeff

laplander said:
One more for the cache, well done Cal!! The 15 is working out well bringing an old site back to life. You probably needed the stress relief after the Armageddon weather you have been thru. Care to share your modes and settings?

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Thanks, yes I'm enjoying the Equinox at all but the most iron infested sites where I switch to my iron sifting detector. Up to this point, I've pretty much left the machine on Relic2, no disc, often hunt in the "all metal" no target ID notched out mode, and I forced myself to get used to 50 tones, and I think it's paying off as I'm able to pick out conductive squeakers from sea of nail environments. I've noticed that the Equinox has a pretty forgiving swing speed, I seem to be able to crawl at a snails pace if needed when I encounter a lot of targets, or swing much faster without (apparently) missing targets in less target rich areas. I like to run it hot @ 22+. I've found some super deep silver coins with this detector in Relic 2, which is ironic as it's weighted towards lower conductors with Relic 1 weighted more towards higher conductors, but for me, apparently I've bonded with Relic 2 :detecting:

One of these days, I need to experiment more with the other modes and settings, but this thing has been performing so admirably as a turn on and go detector, I haven't had a need to delve into the unknown.

GL&HH,
Cal

Liked the story, sounds like one of my adventures... Perseverance though!

It sure did!

Cal_Cobra said:

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Thanks, yes I'm enjoying the Equinox at all but the most iron infested sites where I switch to my iron sifting detector. Up to this point, I've pretty much left the machine on Relic2, no disc, often hunt in the "all metal" no target ID notched out mode, and I forced myself to get used to 50 tones, and I think it's paying off as I'm able to pick out conductive squeakers from sea of nail environments. I've noticed that the Equinox has a pretty forgiving swing speed, I seem to be able to crawl at a snails pace if needed when I encounter a lot of targets, or swing much faster without (apparently) missing targets in less target rich areas. I like to run it hot @ 22+. I've found some super deep silver coins with this detector in Relic 2, which is ironic as it's weighted towards lower conductors with Relic 1 weighted more towards higher conductors, but for me, apparently I've bonded with Relic 2 :detecting:

What is relic 1 and relic 2. My Equinox does not have those modes. I feel cheated!!!

One of these days, I need to experiment more with the other modes and settings, but this thing has been performing so admirably as a turn on and go detector, I haven't had a need to delve into the unknown.

GL&HH,
Cal

Yes this is a special prototype Equinox with a new Relic mode! haha sorry, I meant Field1/2 :drinking:

\"Carolina\" said:

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

What is relic 1 and relic 2. My Equinox does not have those modes. I feel cheated!!!

GL&HH,
Cal