Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

eyeball find turns out to be vintage 18K

larbear

Last Saturday afternoon I put the 5" coil on the F70 and went back to the park that I call "bottlecap park." My previous trip to this park a week ago, I had found a merc dime while using the 11" coil. So I was hoping that by using the smaller coil, I could another silver or two between the trashy targets.

It was a cold and windy day but no snow on the ground. I gave it a good shot for about two hours but all I could find was $1.92 in clad and a Spokane Transit Authority coin (51 on the vdi). I was nearing the end of my hunt, swinging the little coil, when a round metal object about a foot out in front of the coil caught my attention. It looked like it could be a ring, but I was thinking that if it was indeed a ring, it must be a child's play ring. It was very thin, no stone. I also thought that perhaps it was a part that had come off an electronic or mechanical device of some kind. I didn't even bother to pass my coil over it, just picked it up and put it in my finds pouch with the clad. No weight to it at all, or so I thought.

At home, I rinsed off the clad coins and the STA coin, and then put the magnifying glass to the ring like object, expecting to see nothing on the inside. Instead I saw BELAIS 18K. Really? This thing is 18K? Powered up my ipad and did a search on Belais jewelry. The company was started in 1870 and was in business until around the 1930's. Apparently their jewelry was very popular, especially their white gold jewelry, for which they were awarded a patent in 1920.

The ring weighs 1 gram and is a very small size. That is my size 10 titanium wedding band in the photo with the 18K ring so you can see how thin and small it is. What is it's value? I searched a little for an example of the same type, carat etc. Found one example which did not match exactly, but was similar in design, just a larger size. They had it for sale at $155. So maybe if I could find the right buyer, maybe a $100 price tag ? I don't know. Maybe a jeweler could give me some more information. By the way, I did air test the ring with the F70. I was curious to see what the vdi was. 19, 20 was what it came in at. Maybe I should dig more lower vdi numbers ? With numbers that low, I am usually a little hesitant to dig, unless the audio is really good.

Next day, Sunday, i went to an elementary school near my house and found $2.79 clad, a sterling ring with what looks to be a turquoise stone, and a '36 wheat penny. Gold and silver weekend, i like it! Mother nature blessed us with some snow last night, so it will be a few days before I get back out again.

Good luck out there guys.....................Larbear

Wow, Great find.. Good eye. Congrats..still waiting on my first 18kt

Very nice finds. The silver ring has a beautiful vintage look and nice patina.

I'm not surprised that the VDI numbers are so low on the gold ring. The smallest gold ring I found with my F19 had a VDI of 48 which is in the small foil range just above iron ( I think it weighs 2-3 grams). Gold can be found just above the iron range. When I'm in really trashy areas I tend to look for higher numbers because my time for detection is limited but I am well aware that I might be passing up some small gold items (a whole lot of small foil trash as well). In less trash I dig just about anything that has a stable signal past iron.

Doubt that I ever find a gold ring with my F5, I'm with Mike on not being able to run my disc that low, to much trash around here. Maybe if I keep my eyes open I'll find one that way.