Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Eyeballed Victorian Cent

cjc

It's quite early at least by Canadian standards 1888. There's an area here that old incinerate was dumped along a shoreline. It often contains coins, gold scrap copper, brass and lead and other nice relics. Last year we did some "boarding"--putting a board up on shore and bringing material up on to it to sort though. We each got a gold ring, six or eight silver coins and $150 in scrap copper and brass.
Still frozen here--a nice old coin kinda takes the edge off!

cjc
clivesgoldpage.com

Clive! Thats a great find!:clapping:

I remember your 'boarding' method you employ in serious junked up full of trash swimming holes, and filed it away in my mental bag of tricks, and intend to engage it this year! ...

Question: do you run a strong magnet of some sort over the general area or even over the board? Perhaps a post detailing this method is in order? :shrug: I've got a few spots in mind..been thinking of making a few passes with one of those contractor magnet brooms to sweep out the iron flakes, nails and whatnot...What do you use?
Mud

I do use a rare earth magnet prior to scrapping out keeps them from whining! A lot of the brass at this site is melted slag hard to sell becasue it is hard to tell what it is. Here's a shot of some of the other scrap material from the site. It's industrial junk, pre-recycling--from cast iron right through to the stainless period--an interesting study. Also, its not everywhere you can pick up money--that's about 7 bucks worth in ten minutes. Several gold coins have been found mixed in with this stuff by two old fellows who put screens balanced up on rocks and sift the material. The heavier stuff that will have coins, lead and gold in with it is all classified to a few areas, which has taught me a lot about detecting for gold--how material is moved around on a grade--pretty much like a gold pan. Also got a big silver chunk of a cigarette case last year.
cjc
clivesgoldpage.com

Very cool Clive! Good mention about scrapping and finds from incinerate.
Thanks for the post.
HH-Bruce