Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

EZEmulator

Creating Minelab emulator target files is not too difficult, but it can be tedious and confusing. I have to re-figure it out every time I do it. So, I've written a Windows app that creates the target .zip files for you. You enter the description and one or both sets of coordinates (E-Trac or SE) and add an image (not required). As you create the targets you assign them to a target list (same name as target .zip file), then, when finished, click a button to generate the target file. It creates all the directories, text files, copies and renames the images, zips it all up (properly) and copies the file to the E-Trac and/or SE datazips directories.

Hopefully, I have uncomplicated this process instead of the reverse ;-) One of the benefits is that you have a running list of all entered targets and can mix and match for different lists, or easily add to or modify existing lists. There are a couple of forms that display all lists and all targets so you have a good overview of what's in there.

It is written in C# in VS 2008 using .Net 3.5 implementing Linq XML and a .dll from DotNetZip. All the data is in three .XML files which you can edit manually if you find it to be quicker or more convenient.

With the emulator, the spreadsheet and this target file creator you could probably pass some time during those snowbound winter periods.

Should be done within a few days (famous last words!...I know, but it already works)

HH!
Beep

ezemulator.jpg

What an awesome gesture. :thumbup: I don't have an ETrac yet but I bought Andy's book and will spend time this winter reading it and getting familiar with how to use it so I can get a jumpstart when I buy one. I would also love to learn your program so I can be just that much more prepared. Thanks in advance!

Thanks Idaho and Bill. It's almost there...some of this will change, but here's a couple of other screens.

It's been fun to work on and I think it has more benefits than ease of target file creation. You can import every target file you come across and modify the target data for your environment. Instead of just one target 'record' for a coin, for instance, you could have a whole file with different values for the same target at different orientations, depths, colocations, soil conditions, etc. The only thing better would be to have the emulator accept a more complex target definition. Having a big list to refresh your memory concerning TID's is cool too (as long as they're only used as a guideline).

eztargets.jpg

ezsettings.jpg

HH!
Beep

Awesome! I sent a link to my desktop and when I get a little time I will download it and see if I can grasp how to get it done.
Thanks a bunch!
Idaho PRB

i cant get the us coins or jewellery zips to work i downloaded them all added to emulator every time i try to load them the emulator crashes
any help pls french coins are no good to me lol

thanks the beep goes on i uninstalled it and reinstall works perfect do you know if theres any zip files with english coins?

thanks once again
martin

Thanks David ... I surprised myself when I thought about it as it is one of the more obvious things concerning E-Trac stuff that could be automated.

General question: The emulator takes the target coordinate and introduces some variability so the coordinates jump around within one or two numbers. If the emulator took a more complex target definition, like four individual coordinates and a percentage of time to spend at each of those coordinates (including the bit of existing randomness), then it may be possible to recreate some real-world tough calls. If you only used one coordinate, it would work as it does now. Just a thought.