Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

F2 iron bias settings and Recovery speed??

Capreo

I'm a long time seasoned and successful CTX user who thought I'd give the Nox a go. It just arrived and trying to determine what I feel will be good settings for the area (Chicago) and the hunting I do, mainly old trashy parks. While reading over the forums, different web sites, and youtube videos, am I wrong in thinking that the vast majority of users are using F2=0. I am not a fan of the 100s of rusty nails I've dug over the years to get that one barber, and would hope an F2 of 3, 4, or more would eliminate a lot of the iron falsing. Obviously if most seasoned Nox operators are at "0" there must be a good reason for it. Please explain why I want to keep F2 on the lower side.
For my next question....I've pounded certain areas with my CTX and am hard pressed to find much at those spots anymore. I'm hoping the Nox will open up some of these areas by finding coins my CTX couldn't because of its superior un-masking abilities . With that said, wouldn't I want my recovery speed at around 5 or 6. Otherwise feels like the unmasking ability will be lost . Please advise . thx!

My hunting is 99% Florida beaches and in that environment, I've found it best to "dial in" my EQX 800 to suit the conditions relative to sensitivity, iron bias(f2) and recovery speed. I've had to modify the settings from one beach to another to achieve the most effective performance.
I always carry 3 test sticks that I bury about 6" deep. These sticks have a gold ring, a bottle cap and and ferrous washer attached on the end. I test the EQX's ability to detect and separate then determine the best settings re: sensitivity, recovery speed and iron bias.
Just the view from my sandy foxhole...

Target separation where the Equinox is going to shine but it will go deep. Low and slow are the best settings you can use especially being a new user. I like Dan's comments about site specific, I change my recovery speed sens. during a hunt if necessary. Factory settings are what I would recommend for the first bit to get used to the machine and spend some time in the test garden. I tend to run wide open with no filters as I want to decide what to dig or not but then again I don't park hunt for the most part..
HH Jeff

The new iron bias F2 ran at a setting of 4 would equal the older FE iron Bias set at 0. I'm one of those Hunters that run F2 usually set to 0, but in your case, I'd start with F2 Iron Bias set at 2 or 3 and see how it works for you. Then you can add more or less once you determine how it works in your sites. Too many nails, go up on the I/B. Very few nails, go down on the I/B. As far as Recovery speed goes, the Nox is maxed out on its "Speed" at 3. Increasing the Recovery speed above that only shortens the length of the beep giving the operator the opportunity to hear separate beeps on targets closely spaced. For maximum depth you'd want to run the recovery speed at 2 -3 but you can sometimes run into mineralized areas that require a faster R/S to help keep the detector running smooth and quiet. A higher R/C will of course, help in separating targets but hurts depth. Again, you'll have to experiment with different settings for you site conditions. Unfortunately, nobody can give you specific numbers. You'll have to work your way into the best settings for your hunting style, and sites.

I’m in Ga and the red clay is pretty hot soil, but I have 2 yrs on my 800 and most of the time I Run f2 at 0. I turn the iron volume down so it not annoying and run with the horseshoe on. One other note is on nails and other small iron the pinpoint will be off to the side of the signal. In that case I pass on the target.