Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

F5 HELP

SkipSC

I purchased a new F5 last week and have been trying to figure out WTF the manual says. It is really pathetic. I wrote Fisher a note of my feelings, but don't expect them to do anything about it. Even their videos are a joke. They are all geared towards the experienced, but as far as helping a newbie, they fall short. Anyway, I am happy with my purchase and have been very pleased with the so many positive reviews and feedback about it. I found a link to this site and joined because the link said there is a guy named Mike Hillin who wrote a thread about the F5 and how to use it. I have been through about six pages so far and haven't found his thread. If anyone knows about him or the thread please pass it along to me. Thanks. In the meanwhile I have written myself a "cheat sheet" from dissecting the manual, but I know it is not 100% correct. I have had some good luck searching my yard in an attempt to get used to the machine and have found a fair share of common coins, plus one wheat penny. So I'm stoked.

Welcome to the forum and good luck, Skip.

The gentleman you are referring to is Mike Hillis and he has made a lot of very infomative posts about the F5.

Do a by author search for all his posts and you will find he made a lot around late 2008 and early 2009 that should help you quite a bit.

Jerry, I am in Aiken. Is the "Ga" designation in your screen name for Georgia? Augusta? Skip

Thank you Marcomo. I had his name spelled wrong. I'll search for his threads.

Skip,
I did live in Springfield Ga. but now in S.C. just north of Savannah, a little over 100 miles from Aiken.
My thoughts were if you lived close by maybe I could help you out with your F5 in the field.
Jerry

n/t

This is my first ever message on a forum - so here goes.
I own a Fisher F5 and have decided to get into MD'g now that I am retired. I am reading a lot on your forum and have begun to watch Youtube videos to help me get started.
I am considering purchasing a Detectorpro Pistol Grip probe to replace the standard probe I received from Kellyco with my Fisher F5. The Fisher pointer will only beep if it is touching metal. Any comments pro or con would be appreciated.

Double post...sorry. See below.

Some pretty good info on using the F5 in this thread and these field tests.

Looks like a great detector...would like to get my hands on one, one day.

Didn't read all of the info, but I do get the impression that if you set the gain and threshold correctly on this thing, you can really find the good stuff!

HH

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?37,1178504,1179005

http://detectorstuff.com/2009/05/20/...res-breakdown/

http://www.minivideos.co.uk/ja/fisherf5.pdf

I have a F5 and love it! It's not a machine your going to learn in a week. I'm still tweaking with mine. Be patient, watch the numbers, experiment with the tones. In time I'm sure you will be happy. The chances of going out and hitting the Mother Lode are slim. Just go out there and have fun with it. Go to a Park or Playground. There is usually some clad around to find. This will help. Good Luck!

Oh and I bought a Garret Pro pointer last week and LOVE IT! It's cut my recovery time in half. I will never do without another one. I hear the pistol probe is good too.

All the comments about the f5 are true. i have had mine about two months and you learn more each time you go out. It is a little over whelming at first but don't let that bother you, just keep reading and learning and using the detector and you will be fine. Just don't get discouraged. After owning four detectors i have realized that each is different and it takes some time but you will look back and realize it isn't that difficult