Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

F5 hits silver

I've used the 5 x 10 on both an Omega and on my last F 75 LTD and I loved the coil on those two detectors. On both it just seemed those 5 x 10's had a tighter sweet spot and ultimately separated better. The one I currently have seems to have about a 4" diameter sweet shop where one pin points up on its front. Anyway, loads of thanks for all your great testing info and keep them coming. HH jim tn

Guy's
After reading, with great interest I might add, your "Cherping Style" of detecting I first had to sleep on it and here is what I came up with. If I'm not mistaken, here in Ohio we call it "Coin shooting". I'll try to explain how we do it. First ground balance your Fisher as always. Then discriminate everything out up to and including zinc. Set your tone mode to 4, and Gain to about 65/70 as well as Thresh to about 0 or +1. With is setup you will NOT find any gold objects, but when the Fisher sounds off with a HIGH TONE 95% of the time it will be a coin. And YES Silver Rings will fall under the 50 cent range. I just had to add my two cents ( Vintage Two cents of course ) Trapper.

This is a cool topic...a guy has to believe that a strategic and understood program set up coupled with not considered 'normal' sweep coil manipulation techniques can open a place back up...:clapping: I'd say this is a form of an advanced understanding of how our gear works and how to use it...hard earned through years in field...:please:...

Hey John Zach!...welcome and tell us a bit about your finds and experiences hunting that deep Ohio old dirt!~!
Mud

Hay Mud thanks for the shout back.
I started detecting about 3 1/2 years ago and now it's really deep in my blood. I have found 8 silver rings in that time plus many other types of jewelry. Most of which, by the way, has been confiscated by my wife. I visit coffee shops where elderly farmers stop to chat. Sometimes I may ask one or more of them, if they know of any old homestead sites or one room school building sites. This has led to 2 old guns (pistols) and 3 large cent pieces with oldest being 1834. Well I'll get off my soap box for now. Keep the coil to the soil. Zack

Zach, the only thing I'm doing different than what you explained is I'm setting the discrimination down to zero and this keeps the rigg talking all the time which keeps me focused all the time. Another point of interest is when your running low discrimination and the rigg starts getting quite you know your in a low drop area and then you can move on and find a high drop area.it

Still Looking 52
Thanks for the come back. I don't pretend to know it all, but I try to help if I can. Me, I'm getting to old to dig up all my hits , so I like to "coin shoot". Some times I get a little zip in my step, and set my discrimination low as well, but not to often any more. Great luck and happy dirt fishing. Zack

For some reason we didn't have a lot of luck with this new method of hunting this past Thursday. My brother SL52 and I went to the same area and of course hunted different areas from the time before.
Our total for the day was 10 pennies and 2 of those were wheat pennies. My brother found the wheat pennies with his F5 and his 11" coil, and I started the day off with the NEL sharpshooter on the F75. Thinking the coil may be the problem for me I went to the 5" and hunted the other half day. Things didn't get any better so either the area is really hunted out or we just had a bad day.

My wife says I need to get rid of my F75 and get one of those F5's.

Ron in WV

I don't know much about the F75, but let me tell ya, I love my F5. I hit a small ball park yesterday and came back with a little over $8.00 in clad. Don't know why, and I ain't complainin, but sure found a lot of quarters. Here in Northwest Ohio the mesquites are terrible and the weather is hot and muggy. Kind of makes it hard to enjoy my hunts. Great luck.

The F5 runs on a lower frequency like 7hz. Correct?
A bit more sensitive for silver?
On my F75 Silver is in the the 80'same like 88.
I am in the copper mining ranges this week.
Much of the gravel roads here are crushed mine rock and contains a lot of copper nuggets. Took out my F75 and took a walk at sunset. There is copper at about every foot running at 80 sensitivity.
I noticed a pattern here via size of copper slug. The larger the slug the higher the ID number. A few larger prices were like quarters on id. 81 to 88
Small copper was starting at 68.

So I learned to dig the 80 numbers to find bigger pieces.
Up until this point I thought the higher number was due to conductivity but maybe it also is calculating size.
This is assuming the purity of the copper is consistant.

I think you are right there CRI...mass/size has something to do with it...I noticed that on small silver rings or chains...they can drop down below what a guy would think they should fall in....one of my Wife favorite silver rings is a real tiny one with a nice opal in it, and it sounded and TID like a zinc penny...one nice silver chain sounded and TID like low foil.. Good luck up there in the copper range! :thumbup: Report back what you find!
Mud

Yeah, and the same can hold true for dime size silver coins. I've dug a few well worn Barbers and Merc's that read 69/70. Always a pleasant surprise. HH jim tn

Thanks for sharing this style of hunting. I must admit, it takes great patience to hunt like this!!
Its a bit of a struggle holding back, I just naturally want to swing like a wild man with the F70 :blink:

diggindad

Not every outing, of course, with this hunting approach, or any other as far as that is concerned, is going to produce older coins. By the same token, you may go back and re-hunt that same area with the same coil four months from now and pull a silver or a couple older types of coins from there. Why? Maybe you are simple hunting more diligently. Shorter coil swing! Listening more carefully! Working those mid tone hits from different angles striving to hear a high tone tic/chirp! Maybe today your coil is scrubbing the ground which could give you an extra inch of depth. Which, with a small coil can be the difference of hearing a 7 or 8" deep coin. And so on! Meticulous ground coverage and just inching ones way along are two really key factors for me. And, being willing to re-hunt certain spots several times, regardless of how many coils may have been over the same ground.

This type of hunting isn't for everybody. Not many, in fact, probably have the patience for it. That's why, i m h o, such spots will never be truly hunted out. HH jim tn

I'm thinking our next hunt might be back in what we call the silver den, last year we pulled more silver from this spot than any other spot we ever hunted. Hopefully this new style hunting we can get between the trash targets a pluck out some more silver, I know one thing were going have fun trying!

Fun! That's what it is all about and the challenge of outwitting a elusive piece of silver. Good luck on you guys next hunt. HH jim tn

diggindad said:
Its a bit of a struggle holding back, I just naturally want to swing like a wild man with the F70

Hey Diggindad, I know what you mean when you say swinging like a mad man.The F70 will do that to you because of it's incredible recovery speed. Catch my self doing this all the time.

Jim said it all when he spoke of diligence.That's a big part of focusing and the reason we work a grid in more than one direction.The right coil is the one your confident you can decipher what it's telling you. Sometime Mudpuppy's coil hop along with the heal and toe wiggle will help unravel multi targets or masking when your using concentric coils that lack the separation of the DD.
I too have been jerked back to a focus mode style or chirping as you call it. Its now more like a game of "hide and seek" each time I go out and for me listening to the iron is a reminder of the hiding treasure I need to slow down to find. It's hypnotic the way we can fall into a "just swing and walk" style in a quest to cover more ground, always thinking about our next location instead of focusing on the situation at hand. Sometime less is more. Great topic you've raised here guys, thanks----------IB