Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

F5 Nickel test done today and i'm impressed!!!

I set the F5 to full disc and notched in nickels. I set the gain to 90 and the threshold to -3. In my soil, that was almost silent and I tried a load of other settings, but that worked the best for depth and steadiness.
It's simple really, if the F5 says 30 and maybe jumps to 29 it's a nickel.{ No 31-35 and no 27-28 numbers! } { I had 1 piece of aluminum amd 1 piece of copper read the same and that's unavoidable }
In the picture you will see I found 7 nickels, 1 quarter, 7 copper pennies and 5 dimes.
The top 3 junk items fooled me at 1st, but all 3 went from 29 - 31.
The bottom 2 junk both hit just like a nickel 29-30 and of course, there's always something down there with an identical reading!
In the end, after allthese years of testing every detector I could get my hands on, the F5 and MXT ID a nickel the best!
The F5 is considerably deeper in general though and the MXT is far better built, with a much better warranty= transferrable!
On the other hand, the F5 is lighter and cheaper!
I really need to test out a Gamma 6000 and Omega 8000 and maybe a V3?
I am not interested in the complicated Explorer / DFX type units.
I had my fill of them!
This is supposed to be fun, not a computer litteracy class!
There ya have it!
The F5 is just peachy at finding nickels!
NOW, I'm sure someone taotally disagrees? :)
I doubt it really.
Of course, a really deep coin, with any detector, just makes a faint sound-no proper ID or tone. So, if you want those deep, deep coins, start diggin'it!
For every 40 pieces of junk, you will get a silver dime!
Make that every 60-70 :)

If you feel the DFX is complicated, you will not want to try a V3. Trust me I have owned both.

I owned 2 Explores ard 2 DFX's and never felt comfortable with them, nor felt that my adjustments actually improved anything?
I'm just not smart enough I guess? To me, they became a chore, rather than fun!
Thanks for the heads up-you can bet it's appreciated!
Chuck,Diggin'it in Florida

dave5710 said:
If you feel the DFX is complicated, you will not want to try a V3. Trust me I have owned both.

On the V3, I started out with preset programs (C&J first), then started to tone it down a little (i.e. Rx) because it's a little on the hot side for a factory preset program on many areas. Yes there are tons of adjustments and combination of adjustments, but those can come in later. I find it quite intuitive that one can grow into. The V3 (I have the Vision) for some reason gets me more nickels than what I have been used to.
I also like my simplistic detectors also (Compadre...Silver uMax).
I find the F-75 also intuitive plus simplistic with horse power.

interesting reading here

http://detectorstuff.com/2009/03/13/information-on-the-new-teknetics-omega-engineer-dave-johnson/

You will dig nickels that are not 29 or 30. Maybe not often but you will. Bent, on theie side, funny soil patch, dryer ground, wetter ground, next to dog poo. I have had some surprising results for two dollar coins here in Australia. So you reckon the F5 is deeper than an mxt?

[size=medium]I imagine there would be a bit of variation under certain conditions. But i'm digging 29-30 for mow. :)
IN MY GROUND there is no question that the F5 will go deeper than my MXT with it's stock coil. I tested them side by side per hit![/size]

Alimo88 said:
You will dig nickels that are not 29 or 30. Maybe not often but you will. Bent, on theie side, funny soil patch, dryer ground, wetter ground, next to dog poo. I have had some surprising results for two dollar coins here in Australia. So you reckon the F5 is deeper than an mxt?

:ausflag:i have a chance to get a MTX for $700 AUD with three coils. i'm not too sure on it. Its a good price, but i'm only a coinshooter and ring collector. no interest in relics. I know they are good machines but for my application what do you reckon? I hate to pass up a bargain but i guess there are better coinshooters out there. The F5 needs some more coils in the range:ausflag:
some of those teknetics are looking nice as well

[size=large][/size]As much as I like my F5, I have had an MXT ever since they came out and have no intention of ever being without one!
The F5 will go deeper, but it will not ID any deeper than the MXT-so the extra depth stuff is guess work.
If you have a chance for a good deal on an MXT I would unquestionably say BUY IT!

[/b]
Alimo88 said:
:ausflag:i have a chance to get a MTX for $700 AUD with three coils. i'm not too sure on it. Its a good price, but i'm only a coinshooter and ring collector. no interest in relics. I know they are good machines but for my application what do you reckon? I hate to pass up a bargain but i guess there are better coinshooters out there. The F5 needs some more coils in the range:ausflag:
some of those teknetics are looking nice as well

[size=large]Well, that's the perfect package! The headphones aren't worth a crap, but the coil package is super!
I don't know what hunting is like in Australia, or what is considered a good price on this deal down there, but this is a good package.
I believe if you get an MXT, you will not be sorry!
That 6x10 coil alone is worth $179.00 new! It's also a coil you will want!
I say GO FOR IT![/size]

Alimo88 said:
@CHUCK

here is the link http://forum.kimbucktwo.com/index.php/topic,995.0.html

@ chuck last question. what is it like to pinpoint, i do like the F2 where it just zones in. do you find you have to X pinpoint? buy that I mean move 90 degrees and work out both lines for true pinpointing? that coil in AUS is $295 plus postage about $350 USD the machine alone is $1772 USD. I just looked the 5.3 up. also $350 USD.
Total USD $2427 or $2200 AUD

The MXT pinpoints very easily! No, I never have to walk around a target to pinpoint.
Sounds like you should jump on that deal, while it's still available, if those are the prices in Australia!
You will like the MXT. It's a good solidly built-yet not heavy- reliable detector!
Chuck

Alimo88 said:
@ chuck last question. what is it like to pinpoint, i do like the F2 where it just zones in. do you find you have to X pinpoint? buy that I mean move 90 degrees and work out both lines for true pinpointing? that coil in AUS is $295 plus postage about $350 USD the machine alone is $1772 USD. I just looked the 5.3 up. also $350 USD.
Total USD $2427 or $2200 AUD

"What does it pinpoint like" Because of the fast retune, I just X the Target like my tesoro machines. It hits dead on every time unless there are multiple targets or some anomaly to the target

Chuck - Good writeup, I'm glad you're enjoying the F5. I think it's an excellent machine too.

One thing I find differently than you is that, for me, nickels deeper than about 3-4" don't ID as definitively as higher conductors like copper, clad or silver. It could be a difference in our soils or even our individual machines.

I'll have to disagree with you when you say Whites has a better warranty than First Texas. Whites warranty is transferable as you said, but it's only two years. First Texas has a five year warranty. The only time Whites would be a better warranty is if you're buying a detector used and less than two years old.

Have fun with that F5, I'm looking forward to hearing more of your reports.

As to depth, I said in my original post "Of course, a really deep coin, with any detector, just makes a faint sound-no proper ID or tone. So, if you want those deep, deep coins, start diggin'it!
For every 40 pieces of junk, you will get a silver dime!
Make that every 60-70 :)"

I didn't dig a nickel over 5" deep and I assume that's because I only dug 29-30. Deeper nickels were no doubt detected, but did not ID at 29-30
I found dimes at 6" and a quarter at 7-8" that ID'd properly. That's not unusual. Most any detector stops definitively IDing at those depths. When I said the F5 goes deeper than the MXT-I didn't necessarily mean it ID's any better, it will simply hit targets hard that the MXT barely signals !
As to the warranty thing. I do buy new detectors occasionally, but I buy a lot of used ones to try. That's why to me, the White's warranty is better.
It doesn't really even have to be transferred. White's told me so on the phone. The detector itself is warrantied-not the owner and I think that's the way all warranties should work! If a detector stops functioning after 2 months, the manufacturer should fix it-it's defective-no matter who owns it now?

White's Warranty

This is a transferable manufacturer warranty, which covers the instrument two years from the original purchase date, regardless of the owner.

marcomo said:
Chuck - Good writeup, I'm glad you're enjoying the F5. I think it's an excellent machine too.

One thing I find differently than you is that, for me, nickels deeper than about 3-4" don't ID as definitively as higher conductors like copper, clad or silver. It could be a difference in our soils or even our individual machines.

I'll have to disagree with you when you say Whites has a better warranty than First Texas. Whites warranty is transferable as you said, but it's only two years. First Texas has a five year warranty. The only time Whites would be a better warranty is if you're buying a detector used and less than two years old.

Have fun with that F5, I'm looking forward to hearing more of your reports.

I'll agree, if you buy a detector used and less than two years old, Whites would be the better warranty.

I guess it depends on whether you buy new or used and how long you keep the detector.

For me the FT warranty is better, for you apparently the Whites is.

Good luck with your F5, I'm sure you'll continue to be impressed with its' performance.