Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

F75 with the Ultimate 13 coil anyone?

Do a search for that loop on this forum for all dates.
Comments I recall is that it prefers 'bigger' coins/objects, and its a little heavy, though most people were positive. NEL & Mars are two others
that are also mentioned. Look on youtube as there are many comparisons there. (I use a Nel Storm for both my F-75 and SE Pro; it is light, quiet and hot.)
:twodetecting:

I also do not use the F75, although I have had three or four of them. My personal preference is the Technics T2 and I have a new T2+ and they are comparable Weight and Balance to the F75.

Regardless of some claims you might read about, the 13-inch ultimate just like other coils that are 12in in diameter and greater are typically at their best for locating larger sized targets and not small size coins and jewelry like rings.

I have used and compared the ultimate, other oversized coils, and compared what I use against friends who we're using the 13 in Ultimate coil. Seldom did they have any improve performance over what I was getting on located targets.

If I were hunting for large targets or a known hidden cache, then I would consider a larger than stock coil. One problem I had with the 13-inch ultimate was the nose heavy weight. It also seemed a little cumbersome to handle in some site environments.

He didn't clarify the purpose you had for your interest in that coil so it's hard for us to give an answer specific to your particular needs.

Monte

Monte said:
I also do not use the F75, although I have had three or four of them. My personal preference is the Technics T2 and I have a new T2+ and they are comparable Weight and Balance to the F75.

Regardless of some claims you might read about, the 13-inch ultimate just like other coils that are 12in in diameter and greater are typically at their best for locating larger sized targets and not small size coins and jewelry like rings.

I have used and compared the ultimate, other oversized coils, and compared what I use against friends who we're using the 13 in Ultimate coil. Seldom did they have any improve performance over what I was getting on located targets.

If I were hunting for large targets or a known hidden cache, then I would consider a larger than stock coil. One problem I had with the 13-inch ultimate was the nose heavy weight. It also seemed a little cumbersome to handle in some site environments.

He didn't clarify the purpose you had for your interest in that coil so it's hard for us to give an answer specific to your particular needs.

Monte

"Monte" could we add to this and say that in at lest urban settings with detectors like the F75 and trying to deep search for smaller objects that the larger the coil, the larger the antenna, which most times increases problems with EMI and solar radiation
in mid summer, mid day hunting. Some naysayers will say that solar radiation doesn't effect metal detectors, to which that is a false statement. Solar Radiation does effect sensitive electronics. Case in point, I was hunting this large field in a urban setting,
I started off in the morning around 9:00am and I was running the detector pretty hot, and all was well, then around 11:00am the detector started getting noisy, so I adjusted for the EMI type interference and kept on hunting, then by 1:00pm I had to adjust
again cutting back on sensitivity settings. By 4:00pm and 90 plus degrees and not a cloud in the sky, the detector interference was out of control and I had to just quite hunting and go home. I've had the same thing happen on many other occasions
over the years.

MarkCZ

I am seeing better results with stock and smaller coils where I live now. It is no longer the big open farm fields of back east. ..now it's the rust laden old houses and ghost towns...may need to even get a shrew coil...smaller is better out west for so many reasons. So I will hang on to the ultimate 13 until I make a trip back east where I can use it.

MarkCZ said:
"Monte" could we add to this and say that in at lest urban settings with detectors like the F75 and trying to deep search for smaller objects that the larger the coil, the larger the antenna, which most times increases problems with EMI ....
Things to consider when there is a discussion about "deep searching' for smaller-size targets such as coins first calls for a description of what someone considers 'deep' to be. Another thing to consider is the type of ground make-up being searched. Then factor in what causes there might be to create a coin or other smaller-size object attaining a 'deeper position' as, naturally, we also can't forget to consider the ground mineral make-up and the presence of any nearby metal targets that can cause good-target masking. After that we can look at the particular metal detector being used and control settings. Finally we might take a look at the search coil being used in the mix with the above considerations.

In order, here are my opinions on the above:

What is a 'Deep' Coin-sized target?: Most lost coins, trade tokens, jewelry and other popular lost keepers are typically in the surface to 4" depth range. That's been the common average depths I've been finding these targets for over 5 years. If over 4" and to about 6" of honest depth, in some ground environments and conditions, those might be considered a 'DEEP' coin to me. If 6" and over, those are genuine 'DEEPER' positioned coins-sized targets. With over five decades of very avid detecting, I have found coins and comparable targets to 8" and even 9" of guaranteed depth, but it's not a regular occurring event to find them that deep. I have recovered a few, perhaps 10-12, down to a serious measured depth of 10" and 11+", but that's all. Very rare.

What are the most common reasons for a coin-sized target to end up being positioned down to 4" or especially a greater depth?:Displacement, or we could say 're-positioning' caused by human or animal foot traffic, especially in wet or muddy conditions; erosion that has caused a build-up over time; and other deposition of a site such as grass clipping, leafage or other vegetation build-up or from human caused actions like adding fill or even digging or tilling a site.

MarkCZ said:
... and solar radiation in mid summer, mid day hunting.
An issue that, for me, has never existed or caused any issue of note.

MarkCZ said:
Some naysayers will say that solar radiation doesn't effect metal detectors, to which that is a false statement. Solar Radiation does effect sensitive electronics. Case in point, I was hunting this large field in a urban setting, I started off in the morning around 9:00am and I was running the detector pretty hot, and all was well, then around 11:00am the detector started getting noisy, so I adjusted for the EMI type interference and kept on hunting, then by 1:00pm I had to adjust again cutting back on sensitivity settings. By 4:00pm and 90 plus degrees and not a cloud in the sky, the detector interference was out of control and I had to just quite hunting and go home. I've had the same thing happen on many other occasions over the years.
Over five-and-a-half decades ago I started using metal detectors ... avidly! Since then, I would say that 95% of the time or more I have operated almost every detector I have owned at or near 'Full Sensitivity.' If I used a lower than maximum Sensitivity, it was still as high as possible without unstable chatter, and I tend to own and use as many upper-end models that provide the performance I need for different site environments. I started in March of '65 when I lived in the greater Portland Oregon area and that meant I was dealing with a large city with ample EMI potential. In the summer of '68 I moved to my home town of Ogden, Utah where, once again, I was living in a larger city with ample EMI sources.

Over the following 55 years I have lived mostly in Oregon but a good deal of time in northern Utah where the high plateau desert provides ample sunshine and temperature highs. Even the NW Oregon area gets into the mid-to-upper 90's in the summer and it is also a more humid atmosphere. For the past 5½ years I have been living in Eastern Oregon where there isn't a lot of humidity but we do enjoy some long, hot, clear and sunny summer heat in the 90's and triple-digits quite often. Add to that the fact that while most of my urban Coin Hunting has been in the two generalized larger populated locations, I spend the bulk of my detecting time in the desert regions of Eastern Oregon, Utah and Nevada where many of my days afield are hunting in direct sunlight as there are no trees for shade, and quite often the temperatures are in the mid-90's and up. I've devoted probably 85% to 90% of my hunt time to Relic Hunting ghost towns, homesteads and other forlorn locations in the high heat of the summer since July of '83.

I wouldn't still be enjoying this greet sport if I hadn't been successful all the while, and hunting on those very hot summer days has produced an impressive amount of finds for me for decades now, and it has done it without me dealing with a loss of detection capability or performance, and I certainly haven't had to deal with any increased EMI of any kind working at or near maximum Sensitivity during the blistering hot summers.

"Solar Radiation?" Absolutely not an issue for me, with any make or model, during all my searches. But I am most often in out-of-the-way locations and away from the many urban-area EMI sources.

Also, I seldom use the 'standard' size coils, Concentric or Double-D, on any of my detectors. I prefer the proven performance I enjoy from smaller-size cils, like the 5" or 6" sizes, or a mid-size coil like a 7" round coil or an elliptical shaped coil of about 5X9½, give-or-take a little on each measurement depending upon the manufacturer. I don't like the added weight of the bigger-size coils, and they are, as you mentioned, more prone to EMI due to their increased size.

Monte

and the type of mode, (such as non motion) I have had problem with drift from the coil heating up from the sun.
Solar radiation (infrared) is not absorbed by air but the ground and objects do.
(And if the loop is other than white it can be extreme.)

I had the Ultimate on my F75 LTD2, tried it at several sites, wasn't a fan. I know it works great on some detectors, just wasn't doing anything better then the stock 11" DD coil IMO at the sites I tested it at. YMMV.

GL&HH,
Cal

I haven't been on the forums in some time ( real life throwing fast balls at me) . But I have run the wheels off this combo on two different occasions. And like Cal Cobra , I was never left feeling that the 13" found anything the 11" wouldn't find. In my area (Arkansas) my coins are in the 5"-9" range (old coins that is) and on average 7" is the norm. I will also mention, do not underestimate the power of the 5" coil. My first Barber was found by the 5" coil running wide open at 8" .

Good luck with your hunting,

Lakota

I have one I use when hunting CW relics. You can cover a lot of ground and the coil is a little heavy. As far as depth I don't think it goes much deeper than the stock 11 but you can cover a lot of ground.HH:fisher::minelab::teknetics:

The ultimate 13 on my T2se is the deepest setup I have. It is a touch deeper than the stock 11” in my dirt. It just doesn’t do well in trash, which is more abundant than good deep stuff. Ground grab is weird with it. I do really like it in pasture and parks. Also around big fields. It has found me some very deep lead and brass. No good coin finds yet or buttons. It’s no heavier than a stock coil to me.