Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Fake detectors

They are trying to break into the US market. This just broke about 3 hours ago.:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-01-05/alibaba-seeks-to-work-with-new-yahoo-ceo.html

Teknetics has this on their site. Unfortunately you would need to be buying in person to check or ask the person and hope you get an honest reply.

[video]http://megabytevideo.com/clients/firsttexas/Teknetics4.mov[/video]

Protecting the Rule of Law, Online

Dear Michael,

In our society governed by the rule of law, we don't allow stores to sell illegal goods, stolen merchandise or counterfeit products.

So, why do we allow rogue websites that rob Americans of their intellectual property and deal in illegal, fake and, sometimes dangerous goods to continue to cheat the American economy out of billions of dollars every year?

Currently, thousands of websites with billions of visits annually are dealing pirated music and software, counterfeited products and goods, knock-off pharmaceuticals and more. This is all while skirting laws, dodging taxes and robbing the American economy of jobs that would be created by the legitimate creation and sale of these products.

Writing recently in the Daily Caller, former Senator Don Nickles highlighted the costs of these rogue actors:
"U.S. businesses of all sizes and fields lose $135 billion in revenue annually due to these sites, according to a study by brand protection firm MarkMonitor. The Institute for Policy Innovation estimates more than $58 billion is lost to the U.S. economy every year due to copyright theft alone, resulting in more than 373,000 lost American jobs, $16 million in lost employee earnings, and $3 billion in lost tax revenue."

The dangers are more than economic

In great economic times it was easier to not move on this issue. Now....we all need to and at the very least, bring it up in conversation. With the economy's starting to tighten up in places that produce this stuff "in a cultural bubble of acceptance", it will only get worse. Tell your congressman to behave like our borders mean something and move on this. Make countries that are the worst pay for "offload" inspection at the very least? We are buying/selling a rope to hang ourselves if we don't (and watch out for "back door" lobbying on this one especially).

I bought my VX3 used off Craigslist. I was able to look at it and try it out before buying. It had only been used a couple of hours. Before buying it I called White's in Sweet Home and asked about the existence of fake VX3's and was told by the lady that answered the phone that neither she nor anyone at White's knew anything about Chinese fakes. It kind of disturbs me to find that evidently they do exist and Whites does know about them. Is there any obvious way to tell if a detector is a fake or not?

Not to get off the subject but I have also heard where China is behind the altered Gold bullion bars. The use genuine gold bullion bars and remove the gold from the center of the bar and refill it with tungsten. gold( and serial number) on the outside and tungsten on the inside (as a fried pie would be filled)

There are fake Whites, I have never seen a fake VX3 ot V3i. I have seen the GMT. This is all old news as you see by the date of the post. Minelab and Fisher both exknowledged fakes. Just call the serial number in to Whites. They are now faking Coiltex coils.

Thanks Rob. Everything Whites is new to me. I did read of the fake machines on the internet, that is why I called Whites. I wanted to know if there was a way to identify a fake before I bought it. I am not concerned so much now that I have it. It is as advertised.

Don't forget to register it with Whites.

I work at one of the 10 White's Distribution Centers in the US and we have not seen any reports from the factory about fake VX3's - so whomever you called would have been correct in their statement about Chinese fakes. We've only had one report from the factory about a fake White's detector and that was the GMT (which was quite a few years back). If you read one of my posts (earlier in this thread) - We attempted to order a "DFX" for $750 from the alibaba site, but nothing was ever shipped. We had used Paypal and after an investigation we were able to get our money back, others that may have sent a check or money order probably weren't so lucky. They are just stealing money from people. At any rate the fake GMT didn't work and White's has since implemented additional security measures (can't disclose this info though) to protect their products.

Calling White's is one way to verify the authenticity of your unit. You can also go here and enter your detector serial number (located inside the battery compartment): http://whiteselectronics.com/index.php?option=com_formgeneral&task=goodbarcode

I hope this helps!
Andrea

I appreciate the clarification. I will do as you recommend.

If you actually want to try again with alibaba, use &&&&&&&&&.com. It's their official retail (ebay) type outlet. Most of the items sell in the 1x quantity and they escrow everything (meaning they don't release funds to seller until you have received the item and tell them it is as advertised).

I use them periodically to buy disposable lapidary equipment (grinding and polishing wheels) every one of which I found locally was always made in china. Figured I would save a couple of bucks and skip the middle-man.