Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

false signals...

Lodihunter

Hey all of you fellow MXT-ers... I hope everyone is gearing up for summer! I know I am. Here's a quick question for some of you:

When I'm out hunting, I am always on the lookout for silver coins. However, what is your experience with VDI's on this? I know silver coins in my area (high mineralization) will be a few numbers above what a clad coin will be but do the deeper ones jump around on ya? I'm just never sure when to dig. I mean, I will get a VDI of say, 83. But when I pass over it again, it drops to 14. And then to 83, and then to -36. Will a silver coin stay at the same VDI even when your machine is whispering to you? Too many rusty nails and scrap metal dug this year!!! Thanks in advance for your replies...

Have you ever hunted the Legion park there? I have found silver dimes the gophers have brought up to the surface and found them in a gophers tunnels there also. The signals are pretty consistent. Sounds like you are hitting some slag from some of the foundries from days past. They used to have dime toss games there every year since way before I was born. The things I hated was the aluminium cans flattened and down about a foot. The ring up as a perfect quarter.

Hi Lodi, I have found that if something is close to the dime or quarter, you will get the jump around. Like VDI 85 back to iron back to 85, if it keeps jumping and still has the 85 in there, sometimes it is a quarter. If you are at the max deep of the coil, it will jump some, but if it still keeps going back to dime or quarter i dig it, most of the time it is a deep coin. Let us know how it works out. Good Luck Flintstone

I just dug a silver dime a couple days ago that was in a lot of junk and the signal bounced from -0 to +38 or so. It wouldn't lock and the pinpoint suggested that there was several randomly scattered targets close together. With the information the MXT was able to give me I knew this much.....
#1: there was definitely junk in that spot.
#2: there were multiple targets.
#3: there was 'something' trying to produce a higher VDI amongst the junk.

Since several junk targets make the good ones so hard to see, even a shallow silver dime can easily be masked. Investigate any possible +VDI if you seem to be getting masked from junk in with the good target. This same silver dime would not produce a +VDI if I turned 90 degrees, so a lot of people may not have even dug it. This dime would never be seen with a concentric coil. It was a difficult target for the D2 to separate and even then was barely giving me enough to decide to dig. That coil cuts like a knife through trash but sometimes targets overlap, ect, and you still have to dig junk signals.

Dig em all for a while and you will learn through that experience which ones to dig and which ones to pass on. The first silver you find as an "iffy" signal, will make you listen closer and dig some of the less desirable signals.
Don't get me wrong, I pass on a lot of iffies, but sometimes I go back over them when I have more time on my hands, or when I don't have a better place to detect. I also dig a lot of trash targets, but I do get that occasional surprise.

HAHA!!! I just finished hunting Legion. Came out with a bunch of quarters but no silver or gold. I know that there are a lot of guys around here that hunted pretty extensively throughout the 80's. They said the silver coins were nearly every other step. I know there are more out there; just fewer and farther between. Thanks for the info everyone! Good luck this Spring/Summer!

Lodihunter.
I am only assuming there are still gophers in the park. They always were when I hunted there. If you listen you can hear their tunnels as you are detecting (change in mineral density of the soil I guess) but check them frequently if they are still there. They are your friends bringing stuff they can't eat to the surface. Check the irrigation canals when they dry up people have been swimming in them for a hundred years.

Hey Aaron, today i had a lunch break hunt at trash park and the signal kept bouncing in a very small area 4 inch x 4inch max. but all ++++ up and down numbers- iron all around it, and foil.but that little spot all positives and repeatable. so i dug the signals, it was sounding good in all modes. in the same hole a zinc penny- a brass game token-modern no value thing- and a German 10 Pfennig coin-its bronze or brass something like that. the size of the token. all in the same pocket. the machine was trying to seperate all of them i believe. the penny was deeper. the tokens side by side. i was impressed with the machine. today i was using the 950 and the coin mode. carey

Listen to your machine. I've had a current high tone in relic mode and most always silver is in the 79-and up. Depending on if it's one thing dime. Also I've found that a half dime is at a 60 in the past. Deep and accurate also. IF by chance you hear that high tone, dig. It could be masked by another alloy. Better dig than leave it for someone else. I've always said, "Trust your machine". HH, Nancy

oh i am blown away already with meager finds only. really liking this old school new machine --lol! its really not complicated after all, just have to break my old habits of fast swing of tesoro and xp350. let the signal saturate i am told. i go by tone repeatable then check the meter. i am learning not to FORCE a signal--make the machine take it-- Tesoro beep and dig you can do that and get junk. its motion--move it-- at the right speed. just having a pinpoint machine AND a handheld Bullseye is pure luxury to me! i am getting spoiled.

this is also a nice forum good advice without smart remarks. i know what i ask has been asked somewhere before and i am trying to research old posts too.

i think this machine has stood the test of time and will keep giving!

by the way-- i have aWW1 ID tag of Gottfried Thulin. research shows Cook County Illinois--Swedish decent. he died in 1965 i think. found it on lot downtown in Macon, Ga where i work. at the WW1 time had train depot for troops and nearby bootcamp --actually during both wars- camp dismantled and now gone. i guess he lost the tag passing thru. WOULD LOVE TO GIVE IT TO FAMILY MEMBER ANY HELP APPRECIATED!

Hope you find the relatives of the tag. I have done the same with a WWII dog tag and they were very overwhelmed to say the least. HH and good luck, Nancy