Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

False signals

togg77 said:
MarkCZ--you WV guys are full of---------great ideas.LOL I have been trying to figure out how to use my small powerful magnets and your pvc holder is fantastic!!!!!!! Headed to the hardware store now. THANKS for a great idea.
Maybe you would like to take a look at this thread!
This may also help to direct the innovations to another area which will help to keep this thread on topic!

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?18,2139019

Mark

INSTEAD of wrapping your coil wire around the stem as it comes off the coil, run it straight up the rod to the cam-lock at least, and then wrap it from there up to the control head. (leaving a little bit loose at the coil itself so it doesn't pull on the wire when the coil is moved or adjusted) You'll likely have to use a little electrical tape to pull it off, but it makes it quite a bit more "bump resistant". Here's why. When you wrap your coil wire around the stem close to the search-coil, the search-coil can see that coil of wire as a target if it moves a little bit. I mean, it IS a metal detector right? :thumbup: Taping the coil wire straight up the shaft eliminates this effect. We have been doing this with our pulse machines to improve stability and sensitivity for quite some time, and it works well on VFF's too. Try it....................

I pretty much exclusively hunt in 2F, mostly due to the fact that I am primarily a colonial relic hunter, and I'm not particularly concerned what the target ID's at. If I hear it, it pretty much comes out of the ground. I get virtually no high tone falsing with 2F, but do get it a lot using multiple tones.

NE Digger said:
INSTEAD of wrapping your coil wire around the stem as it comes off the coil, run it straight up the rod to the cam-lock at least, and then wrap it from there up to the control head. (leaving a little bit loose at the coil itself so it doesn't pull on the wire when the coil is moved or adjusted) You'll likely have to use a little electrical tape to pull it off, but it makes it quite a bit more "bump resistant". Here's why. When you wrap your coil wire around the stem close to the search-coil, the search-coil can see that coil of wire as a target if it moves a little bit. I mean, it IS a metal detector right? :thumbup: Taping the coil wire straight up the shaft eliminates this effect. We have been doing this with our pulse machines to improve stability and sensitivity for quite some time, and it works well on VFF's too. Try it....................

I form a short flex loop just above the coil, but I don't leave enough lose cable to flop or move when I detect.
From there I run the cable straight up the shaft and make a small "Hank" just below the control housing (this is a Dave_J suggestion)

Mark

foreign object said:
pvtcook said:
Foreign object I could be doing that but I don't think so. I will check. If I hold my detector up in the air over my head and shake it back and forward it goes of. If I wiggle the wire where it goes into my coil it beeps. It's extremely sensitive.

Well that is most likely a coil problem.
Does it do it with another coil?

I haven't tried another coil on it. And I also carry my shovel on my shoulder. I tried sweeping out to my right side to make sure it wasn't picking up my shoes. Hopefully I don't have a bad coil. I'll try it out tomorrow.

That wrap doesn't cause intereference ????????? I know if you coil a scanner antenna wire like that you actually create another semi antenna and this causes bleeding of some digital signals..

Now if the wire is well insulated then you don't have that problem.. So I'm wondering if Fisher d added some shielding in their wires if that configuration you show works well.
No arguments here..Just an inquiry fine sir..

Elton said:
That wrap doesn't cause intereference ????????? I know if you coil a scanner antenna wire like that you actually create another semi antenna and this causes bleeding of some digital signals..

Now if the wire is well insulated then you don't have that problem.. So I'm wondering if Fisher d added some shielding in their wires if that configuration you show works well.
Hi Elton!
For a long time I wasn't happy with the tight wrap from the coil up the shaft with the cable, so, there was a thread in which this topic came up and Dave Johnson chimed in and stated that on many (more than one) occasions he had brought up the very issue with management with concerns about the information in the manuals concerning the cable wrap and its added stress on the cable, but he said that they wouldn't budge on the issue. From there he gave his recommendations for what he felt the best way to wrap or not wrap the coil cable, in that post the phrase "Hank Coil Wrap" came about. I've used it ever sense on all my detectors, with all my coils!. Some of my extra long coil cables were really hard to retrain because they were so kinked up, they looked more like a telephone cord or a headphone cord! To get these cables to mind me (retrain them) it took extra Velcro straps, that was the case of my Coinstrike with the hip mountable control housing and the units LONG cable. (Pictured below)
I have never noticed any EMI differences one way or the other. But If remember correctly that question came up in that thread as well, I can't remember exactly how Dave explained it but the thread concluded that there were no interference issues due to the "Hank Coil Wrap".

Mark

Mark CZ and Ron--West Virginnie Bros. Thanks guys for your innovative posts,depth charts,etc. and the link to the idea posts. Good hunting.

I'm not posting the pictures in this post to reflect any brand of metal detector, many of these I no longer own, the pictures are only the differences in the "Hank Coil Wrap" on different detectors and different cable lengths.

Once the cable is trained, or if its a new coil then the process is a bit easier.
The overall shaft length is adjusted,
The starter loop is set, (flex loop at the coil)
Its up the shaft and a small hank is made and the best route from the hank for the connectors trip to the control housing. I try to keep the hank supported high to the shaft and then use a few nylon or Velcro straps to secure the coils of the hank, and then one or two Velcro straps to secure the hank to the shaft and when its coil change time the hank stays looped up, so its pretty much setup for when it gets mounted back to the detector. Also, on some short cables the hank isn't nothing more than just one small loop.

LOL! that EXTRA long Tejon cable is still in training! man what a long cable, and the unit isn't hip mountable either! I have thought about cutting off three feet of it.

Mark

MarkCZ said:
Elton said:

Hi Elton!
For a long time I wasn't happy with the tight wrap from the coil up the shaft with the cable, so, there was a thread in which this topic came up and Dave Johnson chimed in and stated that on many (more than one) occasions he had brought up the very issue with management with concerns about the information in the manuals concerning the cable wrap and its added stress on the cable, but he said that they wouldn't budge on the issue. From there he gave his recommendations for what he felt the best way to wrap or not wrap the coil cable, in that post the phrase "Hank Coil Wrap" came about. I've used it ever sense on all my detectors, with all my coils!. Some of my extra long coil cables were really hard to retrain because they were so kinked up, they looked more like a telephone cord or a headphone cord! To get these cables to mind me (retrain them) it took extra Velcro straps, that was the case of my Coinstrike with the hip mountable control housing and the units LONG cable. (Pictured below)
I have never noticed any EMI differences one way or the other. But If remember correctly that question came up in that thread as well, I can't remember exactly how Dave explained it but the thread concluded that there were no interference issues due to the "Hank Coil Wrap".

Mark

Thank you Sir !. Appreciate your great answer.