Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

False signals

JHM

I've had several detectors in the past and I'm currently using an F75 for about 2 years. I've done fairly well with it. One thing I've noticed is frequent ghost signals. First is a good high tone In 3T. When checking the signal it disappears or turns to an iron tone. This is really bad in BP. So much that I rarely use it. Has anyone else noticed this and will the new upgrade help this? I feel the detector has more potential than I've uncovered.

The up grade will not help you there. Most machines will do the exact same thing. You can slow down on your sweep speed and get some help and/or lower your sensitivity some. Between the two you should see a significant difference.

Yes I was using my new one today. It's very annoying. What's weird about mine is it does it when I swing to the left and start back to the right. It never does it from the right. Only the left. It's very annoying though.

If I suspect that there is some big rusty in the ground that is high toning me, I will switch to AM and check it, a lot of times this will confirm its iron or not, with time behind the F75 you will be able to predict if its iron or not a little easier, though there are the ones that will just trick you and most other machines no matter what.

That is just part of the game, like digging foil and tabs to get the gold,

Lakota

JHM
If the good signal and the iron grunt very as u swing over the target...pump the coil up and down over the target if you get just the iron grunt...that what it is iron....but if you get grunt and high tone DIG.
Also Default process DE is very fast...faster than BP or CL...DE will separate the targets better...page 33 of the owners manual 2/3s of the way down (under While searching in BP or CL ) will ex-plane this
Gary

I had one like that the other day and I thought I am going to find out what this is, so I done the best I could to PP in disc and went for it. It turned out to be segment of a pulltab ring. I think the next time I will just move on and let it be.

Ron in WV

It's a false signal I think he's talking about. Mine beeps but when I go back over it there's nothing there. But it's only doing it when I go to the left and start back to the right. I thought it was picking up my shoe maybe on the left side but it's not.

This happens a lot..and causes false signals if it isn't tightened all the way ....

pvtcook said:
It's a false signal I think he's talking about. Mine beeps but when I go back over it there's nothing there. But it's only doing it when I go to the left and start back to the right. I thought it was picking up my shoe maybe on the left side but it's not.

If you are right handed I would suspect that you are tilting the coil upward when you come to a stop.
Couple that with an abrupt stop may be your problem.
Slow down and add control.

Could be that I was saying that not all false signals are false.

In my case my case I was able to get a broken weak high tone in one direction and nothing in the other. Thinking AM pinpoint would give me the location, but when I went to PP it was completely go.

Your detector will pick up movement of the coil wire close to the coil.

Something is triggering the detector.

Ron in WV

Well the title of the thread is "False Signals"
But in the body the reference is more about "Ghost Signals"

Now, for starters I'm thinking that defining these and a general agreement about them would help.

"False Signals" I'm thinking that in this term its more about non-repeatable signals, and most common causes are EMI and or to high of a sensitivity or threshold setting, or faulty equipment, like a bad coil! False signals can even happen while you hold the search coil up towards the sky, its random, it could be consistent but nothing that you can directly center over. Years ago on a hot summer day while detecting my detector just kept sounding off! I could lift the coil up in the air and just move it around and it would sound off (False) I got very upset in that I couldn't seem to do anything with it? I couldn't hunt with it like that, so in my upset I just set the detector down in the grass and got out a bottle of water and let it chirp, squawk, and carry on for a LONG time! no rime, no reason for. (Extreme Falsing)

"Ghost Signals" These for the most part are repeatable and maybe to the extent of being able to get a pinpoint on them, they give enough of a hint as to stop you and start the process of dig or not? These will sometime disappear while your early In the detuning/pinpoint process, or after you start actually digging and they just disappear!
I've found some causes for Ghost Signals but in many cases I've just filled in the holes and walked off :surrender: Some of the ones I have figured out it was a small piece of completely rusted iron that while still in the ground remained packed together, but during the digging it crumbled apart and I never even really saw it! here is where a magnet stick can help, take it and stir the hole and the dirt that you removed from the hole and if you find some crusty flakes stuck to the magnet, then its safe to say you can fill in the hole and move on.

Mark

JHM said:
I've had several detectors in the past and I'm currently using an F75 for about 2 years. I've done fairly well with it. One thing I've noticed is frequent ghost signals. First is a good high tone In 3T. When checking the signal it disappears or turns to an iron tone. This is really bad in BP. So much that I rarely use it. Has anyone else noticed this and will the new upgrade help this? I feel the detector has more potential than I've uncovered.

(When checking the signal either disappears or turns to an iron tone)

If you are running any disc. the disappearing signal is most likely a result of the target being disc.out Having said that Mark covered ghost signals and some of their causes.
The changing to iron tone is because it is iron and above your disc.setting.

If you are hunting in an area that has a lot of rusty nail and the like you have to adjust to the conditions.
The high tone is most likely caused by to fast a swing speed and/or to high of sens.

EMI causes unstable operation and you should be able to tell when that is causing problems but with what you described I don't think that is the problem.

Those high false at the end of your swing are most likely caused by the abrupt stopping of the swing and tilting the coil up at the same time.

Foreign object I could be doing that but I don't think so. I will check. If I hold my detector up in the air over my head and shake it back and forward it goes of. If I wiggle the wire where it goes into my coil it beeps. It's extremely sensitive.

pvtcook said:
Foreign object I could be doing that but I don't think so. I will check. If I hold my detector up in the air over my head and shake it back and forward it goes of. If I wiggle the wire where it goes into my coil it beeps. It's extremely sensitive.

Well that is most likely a coil problem.
Does it do it with another coil?

I lowered the sensitivity and the disc and slowed the sweep speed. I still get some high pitched chirps but I can definitely tell the difference between a chirp and a good target. And also I was lifting the coil at the end of the sweep. There's nothing wrong with the detector. Its just not what I'm used to running. I've found some good stuff with it. Found my first CW buckle with it along with some nice buttons. Thanks for the replies.

MarkCZ--you WV guys are full of---------great ideas.LOL I have been trying to figure out how to use my small powerful magnets and your pvc holder is fantastic!!!!!!! Headed to the hardware store now. THANKS for a great idea.

MarkCZ's brother here Ron. Mark made me one of his magnet sticks and it is pretty neat. Lots of times I have pushed it in the dirt and I can hear it snap when it gets close and pulls the iron to the stick, or a few times I have been pushing it in the dirt and I can see the dirt moving as it pulls something in. Kind of spooky seeing something coming back at you.LOL

Neat little tools.

MarkCZ's brother Ron also in WV

I found that most left falsing only was that I was dragging my Raven shovel to close to my body with my left hand and the coil was picking it up as a target. I started carrying it on my shoulder and the problem went away. I also had a problem with metal eyelets on my hunting boots - same thing, the coil was picking them up especially with the larger coils.

togg77 said:
MarkCZ--you WV guys are full of---------great ideas.LOL I have been trying to figure out how to use my small powerful magnets and your pvc holder is fantastic!!!!!!! Headed to the hardware store now. THANKS for a great idea.

Thanks!
For the magnets to actually fit inside the end of the pipe I had to ream the inside mouth of the pipe a little with a ½" drill bit, I like the ½" size but I would like to give a ¾" one a try. The ones I made I used two round rare earth magnets stacked together. For the handle I just used one ½" PVC collar, one very short piece of PVC pipe and one ½" PVC cap. And for a tool belt holder I just used a nylon tie drawn down just enough to still be able to slip the magnet stick in it. I also later on I found that the ½" cream colored PVC is a slip fit inside a piece of ¾" PEX pipe. (that's the newer soft flexible tubing that is rolled up) so that would also make a pretty nice belt holster/case.

"PryorCreekJoe" your post reminds me of an event that happened to me just last fall. On a last minute impulse one evening I decided to make a quick trip out for a short little hunt, I didn't change cloths or shoes I just took off. I got on location, got setup and started hunting, and every step the detector falsed, literally every step. Well it took me a few minutes of head scratching :starwars: to figure out the problem, then I looked down at my boots! (these I hardly ever wear) and got a news flash, they were steel toed boots! so every step the toe of one boot was just close enough to the detection field coming off the coil that the detector would false!!! I'm not sure just what toe pieces are made of but they set the detector off with a pretty high discrimination setting. In actuality I don't guess you could call my boot problem a "False" signal LoL but up until I figured out the problem that was what I was thinking.

Mark.