Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Fanning paddle

Pr don

I've seen hunters use swim fins and plastic paddles for fanning underwater with some degree of success. Does anybody have an idea or suggestions on materials, size and shape for optimum fanning? I'd like to add this tool and technique to my arsenal.

Fisher CZ21, ATPro, XP Deus, Stealth scoop, Garrett Carrot, Lesche Sampson.

Mostly shallow water hunting, salt water beaches.

I have detected with others that use nothing but their foot or hand to fan, two of them did not even carry a scoop of any kind.
Others used a webbed glove, a cut down swim fin, a plastic "toy" shovel (about 5-6" long), a larger shovel or a sieve ladle spoon.
Each one was hailed as the "BEST" of course that was their personal preference.
Of the ones I tried I liked the stainless steel sieve ladle spoon, a kitchen aid and being stainless it had my vote; cost about $20.00
Once one the the detectorists that used only his foot and hand was introduced to a long handled water scoop...he never went back to fanning.
I can only theorize that he "cleaned" the beach after a year digging with the scoop he moved back to Florida and has not returned to his favorite beach!

Great. I myself like the long handle scoop as is the Stealth. But I have also seen how fanning could be helpful in certain situations. I'll have to look into kitchenware for ideas.

Ah...in coral where you can not push a scoop I have a device that is used for removing fish hooks that a fish swallow and you can not reach with your fingers.
It looks like a pistol with a trigger that operates a set of jaws at the end of the "barrel". I put a bit of RTV silicone over the teeth so I would not scratch a nice object.
They would come in handy after removing the sand by scoop or fan. I have carried them for years of travel into the Caribbean and have yet had to use them. I have been lucky I guess.

I fan with my hand period. I don't need any extra equipment to account for and I do very well. I use a knife in clay. If muck I pick up handfuls very carefully and wave them in front of the coil. When the target is in my had I place the whole handful in a mesh bag, hold the top shut and swish it in the water. Then transfer the target to another mesh bag.

I use metal digger ... and use hands and legs :)
when I need to dig a bit it is nice to have something that can do that
It depends what kind of material is on bottom.

You can watch one of my YouTube videos
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j97Epe2yPN0[/video]