Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Farm Field Finds 06/12/18

C&RHunter

Yesterday I finally got the Nox back into the field. I went to an old home/cabin site that I hunted a few times with the CTX when I first got it in 2012. The site is out in a farm field near a stream. The beans are up now, so I may not be able to hunt this site again until fall. Yesterday days finds were typical of a farmed location. Lots of small and larger iron targets, but when a non-ferrous item was under the coil, the sound was crisp and solid. Among the finds were some small non ferrous items (I have found that this machine is a killer on lead), a brass thimble, what looks like the lever from an old powder flask, etc.
The interesting and curious find, for me, is the brass trigger guard assembly. I believe that it is from a 1849 Colt Pocket Model cap and ball revolver. The serial number indicates an 1861 manufacture date, but the .31 cal marking for appears to be worn off the left side of the frame. The main reason that this strikes me as curious, 6 years ago with the CTX, I found the same type of assembly, from an 1849 Colt Pocket Model. The serial number on it indicates a 1863 manufacture. Now that I have found two of these, approx. 150-200 feet apart, it makes wonder about the history of this site. The area atlas, from 1873 or newer, does not show any home site ever being here. I found the location during hunting season, when I saw a large number of stones scattered in a small area. I always keep an eye, out when in farm fields, for stones that 'do not belong' and bits of broken glass or pottery. Ones imagination can lead to many possible explanations for the loss of these two revolvers. This area was very active during and after the Civil War. I live about 15 minutes northeat from the childhood home of Frank and Jesse James, and 30 minutes or so from where Bloody Bill Andersen was killed. Who knows what may be in the ground around these old cabin sites. More than likely nothing of great value, but you just never know. For me that is one reason this hobby is so interesting.

Really cool digs!

Wow ... wonder if someone got bopped on the head with the one with the bent trigger guard.
If they could only talk what a story they might tell.

Really interesting finds. So cool you have the serial #'s to reveal info.

I’ve been back out a couple of times to try and find the main portions of the pistols. I’ve been using field 2 and have been digging the larger iron targets. So far I have only found old strap iron and other old implement parts typical to these sites. Maybe this fall I will get lucky and find at least one of the pistols or some more coins. When I found the first trigger guard I also found an 1867 Indian cent.