Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Favorite Sovereign coil?

gfatizzi

Awefully QUIET around here so I thought I would start a coil thread: What is the all-time favorite coil for your Sovereign if you could only have one? Mine is, HANDS DOWN, the 'ole 8" Coinsearch coil (actual inner windings are 7.25"). It detects as deep as I want to dig and is versatile because it also doubles as my small trash coil when sensitivity is turned down. So far my favorite large coil for beach, field and deep clean park areas is the NEL Tornado 12X13. This coil is light, deep, easy to pinpoint with and above all STABLE! I have found other large coils to be effected in some way or another by EMI or impacts against rocks etc. NONE of that with the 12X13 NEL. I think I have FINALLY found my favorite two coil combo for the Sov but if I could only have one, the Coinsearch is it! How 'bout you? :) HH all and Happy (early) Thanksgiving! George

Last edited:
The 8” tornado. I believe it was actually 7 3/4”. It has super depth and separation of targets. I had a measured 10” silver dime in my test garden and this little tornado coil would hit it.

The 8” tornado. I believe it was actually 7 3/4”. It has super depth and separation of targets. I had a measured 10” silver dime in my test garden and this little tornado coil would hit it.
Actually it's also 7.25" like the Coinsearch coil. It's basically the waterproof version. Excellent choice!

Actually it's also 7.25" like the Coinsearch coil. It's basically the waterproof version. Excellent choice!
I thought so lol I knew it was smaller then the advertised size. That tornado is a super coil and the one I mainly used. I found quite a bit of silver with that little coil.

Like George my favorite coil was the 8 inch coinsearch for most of my hunting, did something to the one I had and it worked even better, but it should have made no difference, but it did. seem to get more depth from what I seen and maybe it was something differnt too, but it worked better for me. I cut the cable to the coil so it was shorter for changing coils faster if I wanted too as I didnt need all the cable to wind around the shaft and being I used a meter while hip mounting the control box. I had went back to I had worked hard before and came up with more silver and wheat pennies. This the coil I used in a old park I was challenged to find 1 old coin as the area was had worked heavy, well got over 76 with only 4 new coins. These were deep and had to work super slow and listen close as they were small signal.
The other coil that impressed me was the S12 of Sunray and also the 10 inch Tornado coil of Minelab which worked good for a bigger coil and did separate well even being it was a bigger coil.
When I had my XS2 it had the 10 inch BBS coil and went hunting with the fellow that bought my XS with a 8 inch coinsearch coil in a old park and he seem to better then me so we checked the signals and the 8 inch coil did see the coin easier than my 10 inch BBS coil as the 10 inch seem to pick up on the trash that was close I feel.
I now have a Sovereign GT with the stock 10 inch Tornado coil and a 8 inch Tornado coil on a separate shaft that I have never used yet as I didnt need it toward last as the 10 inch was doing good. No I dont want to sell it either at this time as this is the 5th one I got and wound up selling mine and got another, then some one bought that one and being they are very hard to find I decide I am going to keep it and try it out.

Good hunting to those that can get out

Rick

I liked the 10” Tornado coil that came with my Sovereign.
Although I did not make any super deep finds, it did very good at unmasking targets at an old park that I spent a lot of time at with it.
I never realized how many coins could be masked until I the started using the Sovereign there.
I later bought an 8” tornado coil and did well with it too.
I am now using an Equinox 800 at that same park, but have not made many additional finds with it…
That Sovereign did it’s job there well I believe.

I liked the 10” Tornado coil that came with my Sovereign.
Although I did not make any super deep finds, it did very good at unmasking targets at an old park that I spent a lot of time at with it.
I never realized how many coins could be masked until I the started using the Sovereign there.
I later bought an 8” tornado coil and did well with it too.
I am now using an Equinox 800 at that same park, but have not made many additional finds with it…
That Sovereign did it’s job there well I believe.
Maybe you need a tune-up on your equinox 🤭 when I complete it , you will see an enormous difference 🤭🤭

The stock 10 inch coil on an XS2APro particularly for low to moderate trash parks. I tried an 8 inch "open" Minelab coil and it worked OK, I also tried the white completely enclosed original Minelab Sovereign coil that folks were swearing by at the time - I really didn't notice any difference from the open 8 inch coil except that it was a little harder to pinpoint.

Awefully QUIET around here so I thought I would start a coil thread: What is the all-time favorite coil for your Sovereign if you could only have one? Mine is, HANDS DOWN, the 'ole 8" Coinsearch coil (actual inner windings are 7.25"). It detects as deep as I want to dig and is versatile because it also doubles as my small trash coil when sensitivity is turned down. So far my favorite large coil for beach, field and deep clean park areas is the NEL Tornado 12X13. This coil is light, deep, easy to pinpoint with and above all STABLE! I have found other large coils to be effected in some way or another by EMI or impacts against rocks etc. NONE of that with the 12X13 NEL. I think I have FINALLY found my favorite two coil combo for the Sov but if I could only have one, the Coinsearch is it! How 'bout you? :) HH all and Happy (early) Thanksgiving! George
Is there a small coil available for the sov like 5" ?

I'm loving the 13" ultimate coil.
Separates nicely on deep Targets
Hits shallow and deep silver very well.

I am curious if anyone has tried the Nel Snake ?

This Sovereign GT was a gift to my father in Alaska.
He tried it a few times unable to figure it out .
Sadly passing away shortly after receiving it.
Years later I was finally able to get it back home after his untimely passing. Little brother was really shook up. Couldn't even go near dad's stuff.

I have maybe 20 hrs on this incredible machine.

Though I must ask a little advice.
While in the discrimination or iron null.
Is it normal to still hit quite clearly on good targets?
I didn't believe it did this until the null went away. It did when I swung over a nearby coin immediately after going into null over a nail.

I said that for years on the Sovereigns and wish they still made them but a lot lighter.
I dug many of coins with iron next to a coin and one I will never forget is a well worked ball field and went slow with all the bottle caps around and other trash I got small signal in with a null. I wish I could have taken a picture as there was a Franklin half underneath an big bolt and had a nice big rust stain on it. Got a very nice old gold ring under and area loaded with pulltabs where a set of bleacher was sitting and was around 10 inches deep.
The secret is knowing your Sovereign and go slow and listen so you can hear the good target in with trash.

Rick

I said that for years on the Sovereigns and wish they still made them but a lot lighter.
I dug many of coins with iron next to a coin and one I will never forget is a well worked ball field and went slow with all the bottle caps around and other trash I got small signal in with a null. I wish I could have taken a picture as there was a Franklin half underneath an big bolt and had a nice big rust stain on it. Got a very nice old gold ring under and area loaded with pulltabs where a set of bleacher was sitting and was around 10 inches deep.
The secret is knowing your Sovereign and go slow and listen so you can hear the good target in with trash.

Rick
Thanks Rick
Thanks Nauti
I didn't realize how special this machine is.
Excellent info.
The only other machine I have that works in nails.
Is a Tesoro Mojave I picked up not long before they closed.
Darn I'd like a backup one.

Crazy how well it works an old shipping lane beach full of iron ore dust and nails.

After a 100+ years of unloading iron ore.
It loaded with iron like black sands.
Few machines get over a few inches there .
The Sovereign is King there.
Why I sent it to dad in Alaska.
For mineralization.
That iron Beach is in.
Fairport Harbor Ohio.

I want to try the Nel Snake coil for tiny jewelry and hopefully gold nuggets when I get to Alaska.

As to weight
I used an old shoulder purse of the wife's.
Perfect fit with the face just below the top of the purse
At least it Blue. LoL
I cut a hole in the bottom for the coil wire.
Only swinging the coil and 500 meter.

The 500 meter
I picked up used.
Is it worth it to do the 180 conversion ?

Is there a small coil available for the sov like 5" ?
Nel makes a 5" round
And a 3.5×6.5 called the snake.
I'm hoping to one up and give it a swing.

With the Sovereign I find when there is a lot of trash or iron I have to swing slower so I can hear that threshold come and go as it is seeing too much and takes time to see each target and as we know it hates iron more than any detector. This is a big problem for those that are new to the Sovereign I feel as they want to swing the coil too fast and it is a solid null and they walk over some good stuff.
On my GT I use a camera bag and chest mount it, but just dont feel right as my control box gets in my way when digging. I even put on a strap that holds the bag closer to me and trying different thing now. I used to use the SunRay hipmount bag before and did like it, but being heavy I had to keep stopping to pull up my pants as I have to wear a suspenders normally .
On the meter I learned on the SunRay DTI meter which was a 180 meter on my XS and when I got a XS2 it had the Minelab 550 meter, so I used it and didnt like how it wasn't as acurate as the 180 meter< what I mean is with the 180 my nickles read as 143-144 and the copper and silver read as 179-180 while the new zinc coated penny and some early wheatie and IH read 176-177 and the alum screw caps would read as high as 178. It was so much better for me than the 550 meter was, There was the instruction how to make the 550 meter into a 180 and had to use !% tolerance resistors and change the pot. I was able to get the parts and got extras for anyone that wanted a set to put in there 550 meter and I did a few for those that had no one to put them in. The Elite had a 550 of Minelabs that was the later model model that was more stable as the numbers didn't fluctuate as much.
The picture is a SunRay DTI 3 meter and wish I could have got a different picture as it dont show the whole meter and the 495 on it was a iron signal that comes on when you first turn the Sovereign on.

Rick

Attachments

• addon.jpg
    addon.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 159
With the Sovereign I find when there is a lot of trash or iron I have to swing slower so I can hear that threshold come and go as it is seeing too much and takes time to see each target and as we know it hates iron more than any detector. This is a big problem for those that are new to the Sovereign I feel as they want to swing the coil too fast and it is a solid null and they walk over some good stuff.
On my GT I use a camera bag and chest mount it, but just dont feel right as my control box gets in my way when digging. I even put on a strap that holds the bag closer to me and trying different thing now. I used to use the SunRay hipmount bag before and did like it, but being heavy I had to keep stopping to pull up my pants as I have to wear a suspenders normally .
On the meter I learned on the SunRay DTI meter which was a 180 meter on my XS and when I got a XS2 it had the Minelab 550 meter, so I used it and didnt like how it wasn't as acurate as the 180 meter< what I mean is with the 180 my nickles read as 143-144 and the copper and silver read as 179-180 while the new zinc coated penny and some early wheatie and IH read 176-177 and the alum screw caps would read as high as 178. It was so much better for me than the 550 meter was, There was the instruction how to make the 550 meter into a 180 and had to use !% tolerance resistors and change the pot. I was able to get the parts and got extras for anyone that wanted a set to put in there 550 meter and I did a few for those that had no one to put them in. The Elite had a 550 of Minelabs that was the later model model that was more stable as the numbers didn't fluctuate as much.
The picture is a SunRay DTI 3 meter and wish I could have got a different picture as it dont show the whole meter and the 495 on it was a iron signal that comes on when you first turn the Sovereign on.

Rick
I have that 550 meter.
Frustrating
Copper pennies
Dimes
Quarters
All come in at 500
I tune at 500 to a silver half.
Love to get a 180 meter.
Null.
I've found on my GT
It still hits hard on good targets while In the null.
Try it.

Minelab 11" Coinsearch coil, and a close second the Detech 14x10" Excelerator

I have a 180 meter on my GT. A Dime, quarter and a copper penny all will show up at 180.