Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Favorite Sovereign coil?

To those who own a Sunray DTI III meter, would you please tell me how to calibrate it?

I know, an embarrassing question, seeing that I own it and a Minelab Sovereign GT that haven't used in 10+ years.
Now that I'm retired I'd like to get back into the hobby... and unfortunately over the years I got away from using the detector and meter.

Thanks in advance,
NEBeachcomber

The DTI III is by far my favorite meter and very easy to calibrate for me as I check it often which a person should do.
The one way I use is to turn on the detector and run it in disc and either use a new dime or even a copper penny, run it across the coil and , or coil over the coin and try to get it to lock on 179-180 as it can vary just a little, by the control on the back of the meter. Just remember it dont take much to make a big difference. in the numbers. I try to get it to 179-180 and not 181 as it is too much for me. when I get it to those numbers I am ready to hunt with it and every once in a while I will check it again and throw down and new dime and scan it to see I get the 180 as i then know it is still calibrated. The knob on the back for calibrating can get bumped while transporting and can get out of calibration and when I get what sounds like a good signal and the meter read lower or higher than it should I will check my calibration.
the meter is sensitive and is very accurate when it is correctly calibrated . For me when I get a 176-177 it is a new zinc coated penny, IH or even some of the early wheat pennies, a 179-180 is a copper penny, dime of quarter while a 143-145 is a nickle and a 140-141 seem to be a beaver tail off the old pulltabs. normally a 145- 150 and sound like a nickle as they do have a tone a little different than a pull tab they do seem to be a war nickle..

Good luck as you have one of the best detector with the best meter when you get to know the GT

Rick

8" coinsearch

The DTI III is by far my favorite meter and very easy to calibrate for me as I check it often which a person should do.
The one way I use is to turn on the detector and run it in disc and either use a new dime or even a copper penny, run it across the coil and , or coil over the coin and try to get it to lock on 179-180 as it can vary just a little, by the control on the back of the meter. Just remember it dont take much to make a big difference. in the numbers. I try to get it to 179-180 and not 181 as it is too much for me. when I get it to those numbers I am ready to hunt with it and every once in a while I will check it again and throw down and new dime and scan it to see I get the 180 as i then know it is still calibrated. The knob on the back for calibrating can get bumped while transporting and can get out of calibration and when I get what sounds like a good signal and the meter read lower or higher than it should I will check my calibration.
the meter is sensitive and is very accurate when it is correctly calibrated . For me when I get a 176-177 it is a new zinc coated penny, IH or even some of the early wheat pennies, a 179-180 is a copper penny, dime of quarter while a 143-145 is a nickle and a 140-141 seem to be a beaver tail off the old pulltabs. normally a 145- 150 and sound like a nickle as they do have a tone a little different than a pull tab they do seem to be a war nickle..

Good luck as you have one of the best detector with the best meter when you get to know the GT

Rick
Rick (ND), Thank you for taking the time to respond and answer my question. I felt a little foolish asking it as I used to calibrate this meter many times during an outing. After ten years of not using this system (or any of my other detectors, for that matter) I plain old forgot how to use them. I guess the cliche is true... "if you don't use it... you lose it."