Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

fe-co readings

I personally don't know, and I understand that the numbers might change before release, but I believe, based on what I've seen, that the Equinox is not FE-CO. I could be wrong, but even if it's true, we don't exactly know how the machine arrives at its Target ID, so we don't know for sure if lacking FE-CO is bad.

In the early video Brandon Neice put out, he is showing the screen and he points to a couple different indicators and says, ferrous and non-ferrous. Not sure exactly what that means. Looks like a single number (like the AT Pro etc) and not the dual numbers like the CTX or Etrac, but I think we'll need to wait and see the final version (or they post the manual online) before many of these type of questions are answered. If you look at the retailers web sites who are offering pre-sales, the specs are completely blank still.

I thought I seen that to John.----Wasn't that the way the Xterra was also as far as ferrous #'s? (negative=ferrous)
sprchng said:
FWIW , in some of the videos I saw negative numbers.

It has 1 set of numbers like the X.Terra series.

But there are more of them. They start in the Iron ferrous area and that is what he meant by negative numbers and go through to high numbers non ferrous . It isn't much different to the Garrett AT Pro/Max i think in that way.
I used the Terra 705 and found over 7 years probably half my coinage i have ever found on beaches with that type. If the Equinox is anything like that in Single freq then with Multi freq its going to be brilliant and also on the wet too but need testers to do tests on that one.
It is not a high end machine in price but it will most likely be quite high in capability , just wont have as much target info as the top enders and i think wont need it.

Stop looking at numbers and use your ears , use numbers as a confirmation but dont rely on them . Mk 1 ear hole is the best info gatherer you have.

It'll be quite a thing if they can make target ID as good as the CTX in a mid priced lightweight waterproof machine! The CTX in my mind is the absolute BOSS of target ID. Hopefully this Equinox will be AS good. I'm looking forward to Minelabs newest creation but we are needing and expecting that the ID is on par with the Explorers and CTX. If it is not up to the task upon release,it will show very quickly,because I believe that's what most people NEED....even more so than lightweight and waterproof,which are nice incorporations! But,to hunt the sites that most US hunters hunt, we NEED the accuracy of the FECO readout that we've become accustomed to.
For the guys who dig it all...it doesn't matter what kind of readout it has,but that's not me or hardly anyone I know. This new machine could be a real show stopper but it needs the most accurate ID in the business,bar none.

no, the video clearly show this detector DOES NOT use Fe-Co display.

IDXMonster said:
It'll be quite a thing if they can make target ID as good as the CTX in a mid priced lightweight waterproof machine! The CTX in my mind is the absolute BOSS of target ID. Hopefully this Equinox will be AS good. [size=large]I'm looking forward to Minelabs newest creation but we are needing and expecting that the ID is on par with the Explorers and CTX. If it is not up to the task upon release,it will show very quickly,because I believe that's what most people NEED....even more so than lightweight and waterproof,which are nice incorporations! But,to hunt the sites that most US hunters hunt, we NEED the accuracy of the FECO readout that we've become accustomed to[/size].
For the guys who dig it all...it doesn't matter what kind of readout it has,but that's not me or hardly anyone I know. This new machine could be a real show stopper but it needs the most accurate ID in the business,bar none.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!​

Well stated post, IDX.

Hopefully, it will be reflected in the type of 'Tone ID' implementation that accompanies the VDI.

Minelab's blogs imply that the Equinox's ID at depth, will be better than any other competitor's machines,

so we can only wait for some tester's reports and demos on that point....keep posting your thoughts..much appreciated....matt

What I got from what I've seen is only the CO numbers are displayed. FE is represented on the wheel at the beginning numbers to around 40. Just a guess here but that is what I see.

IDXMonster is dead on as far as my expectations on TID.

martygene said:
i see a lot of talk about fe-co numbers but has anyone spoke of tones? just wonderin'.

Marty,do you currently use a Minelab with FECO coordinates? Tones aside,and I saw they're rumored to be similar to the etrac,the dual axis numbers are indispensable to many. They are one of the things that sets the CTX on top of the heap,IMO. I also hope the tones are very descriptive, as they have been with the Explorers on up.

I believe as a general rule the detectors I've seen have the same amount of tonal ability on par with the number of target ID segments. I.E. a tone for each segment. The E-Trac has like 1500 ID segemnts and a very high variance in tonal ability. I'd love to think the Equinox would have the same tonal ability, but I don't see that happening.

Southwind,

I wouldn't be too sure that we won't have a very nice tonal ability on the Equinox.

While the E-Trac might have that many "segments" (actually, there should bet like 2500 unique FE/CO pairs), you don't need a tone for each "segment." Let me talk Explorer, since that's what I use most often. Explorer CO numbers run from 0-31, same with FE numbers. Thus, the smartfind screen is a grid that is 32x32 "segments" in either direction (vertical and horizontal, or "x" and "y") -- thus a "grid" with 1024 "segments." HOWEVER, you don't NEED 1024 tones, or even 1/2 or 1/4 of that. You only need (and the Explorer only has, I believe) 32. Since you set the tones to correspond to either conductive or ferrous ID numbers, then you really only need 32 tones, one for each ID number (either on the CO side, or the FE side, depending upon whether you are running conductive or ferrous sounds).

SO, along those lines, it seems to me that even if you don't have "FE" numbers on the Equinox, but -- say -- 40 segments in the "non-ferrous, conductive" range, that 41 tones would be plenty. One for all iron IDs (an "iron tone), and then 40 for each of the conductive ID numbers. I would think that would be plenty...

Steve

Don’t think we’ll be seeing Fe/Co numbers on the Equinox. I’ve not seen hide nor hair of anything looking like it in any of the preliminary videos.

Consequently, I’m worried about one of the benefits of the fe/co system; disc’ing out bottlecaps. Always hated digging them. Rarely dug them with my minelabs. Have dug lots of them with other detectors. Pernicious little buggers.

Hoping this new IQ system has great ID ability for iron and foil and bottle caps.

Rich