Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Fe-Co #

Does anyone else ever get decaying zinc pennies ringing up Fe-Co numbers of 11-44, 12-44, 11-45, or 12-45? It seems to do it more if I have the sensitivity turned up high.

Mike

yes I did for a while and I found out the leaching in wet ground it gets worse ( you will get more depth in wet ground than dry but the leaching gives off odd signals the remedy to that is to turn down the variability down to about low 20s and that will help )

detectorfreak74 said:
yes I did for a while and I found out the leaching in wet ground it gets worse ( you will get more depth in wet ground than dry but the leaching gives off odd signals the remedy to that is to turn down the variability down to about low 20s and that will help )

Thanks, I'll try turning down the variability.

I find them all of the time. We call them a lawnmower penny's because the look like they been hit by one, and have the high numbers too.

it could be, I set mine on 29 the day I got it, and have never changed it since, been almost a year and i have NEVER dug a zinc at numbers like you said......I wonder why you are getting that, that would be very frustrating.

I have dug COPPER memorials at that number but honestly can't ever remember a zinc at that number.

It is my understanding that variability dictates the degree of pitch from one tone to another. With a variability of 30 you get the biggest distinction between tone levels. I don't see how this affects the FE or CO numbers.

Goes4ever said:
I can honestly say I have never dug a zinc that has ever registered higher that CO of 38

I'll have to admit my ignorance of coins. I was looking at a minelab post on Fe-Co numbers for coins, and I didn't realize that copper pennies were made up to 1981. All the pennies that were giving me those Fe-Co readings fall into that time period. I just assumed that the zinc started in 1965, sorry, for my ignorance of the subject. Next time, I'll do a little research before posting something.

Mike

They made the switch to zinc sometime in 1982. Some 1982 pennies are still primarily copper and some primarily zinc. By 1983 all new pennies were made using zinc.

1981 and younger = copper
1982 = copper or the new zinc
1983 and later = zinc

An easy way to tell a copper penny from a zinc penny without even looking at the date is to bounce it flat on a hard surface like a counter top.

The copper penny will "ring" and the zinc penny will make a dull "thud"

If it is a valuable penny you might not want to do that. But if you are just sorting the copper crap from the zinc crap it doesn't really matter.

Memorial pennies run all over the scale....for me anyway...I hunted today and dug memorials from Cond.# 34 to 45 with FE # 09 to 13. It is really hard to tell what you got until you dig it up. Now Wheat's almost always hit 41 to 44 on the Co. I don't know if it is the machine or ground that is causing these numbers on Memorials. I have run sens. both auto and manual with no difference in numbers. I run variability at 28. Don't know really what else to do to get a smaller range for memorials. The rest of coins range as they should. As Goes says it is really aggravating with such a spread on these pennies.