Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Feeling a little Mexican today

After a very very long hiatus, I managed to get my hands dirty today by trying out my Nokta FORS CoRe for the first time in a local park I've hunted off and on since the late 70's.
This is one of those little, out of the way places that shouldn't produce some of the coins it does; and just when you think you've dug it all except for this season's pocket change..BAM ! you dig something unexpected. Today was one of those days...
And this find has a special twist because I almost walked away from it.
You see, I left the house without a pinpointer, but figured I wouldn't need it to find recent pocket change...
Anyway, I got this good reading and dug a plug about 3-4" deep, but the target was still in the hole...I dug a little deeper, but I was running out of room on my dirt cloth for the diggings and I was trying to be real careful about covering my tracks. The target was still in the hole, and I thought--screw it; I'll fill it in and come back later with a pinpointer...
A little later, I dug a 1900 Indian that was down about 6 inches,which was a surprise in itself. Then that started a little voice telling me I had better go back and check that other hole again !!
So I went back, cleaned out the hole, dug another couple of inches down,and presto...out pops a decent little 1/2 ? reale from the Mexico mint dated 1787. Amazing...
I was told this park only dates back to the 30's; so how a 200+ year old coin got there is anyone's guess.
Over the years,I've dug dozens of Indians, V-nickels, Barbers, and even a Flying Eagle cent out of this place ; but never anything this old.

Wow, Awesome coin for sure!!

Nice surprise. .. may have been a gathering place prior to being a park or the old stuff could have come in with fill dirt from a nearby property. ..

Congrats on a nice find!

too cool, what a amazing find and in really good shape! one day I hope to uncover a reale, but up in Washington, my chances are limited. unless someone's kid was "borrowing" his fathers and lost it!

Wow! That actually is a pirate coin. Excellent find. Keep posting and regards. Is going to be difficult to find something better than that coin though.

@kschae4, You may be right concerning the date being 1767 rather than 1787.It does resemble a "6" more than an "8".... Too bad it's not a stronger strike.
A quick search of King Charles III shows that he reigned from 1759 to 1789; so I guess the date could be either.
If a record of what years the Mexican mint cranked these out could be found, it might clarify the situation.
Either way, I'm happy to have it.
Friends look at it and say- OOOOH, what's it worth ???? On ebay they seem to be about $20-$30 ??? Worth more to me for finding it I assure you !

What A great find.