Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Fentress, Texas, just a shell of a once thriving small town............(Part #1)

Kelley (Texas)

I decided to brave the heat today and ride the motorcycle to a small town by the name of Fentress, Texas, located in Caldwell County. This town was established in 1860 along the San Marcos River and was named Riverside. In 1892 it was renamed Fentress in honor of the town's first doctor, James Fentress. The Post Office was opened in 1893. This town never had electric service until 1902. According to the 2000 census, the population at that time was 291 folks. I do not know what it is at the present time...probably about the same.

The former business district was located about a half mile from State Highway 80. Just driving on the highway, you would never have known this town was here as per se. I rode around for a few minutes before I spotted a street sign for Main Street. I finally located what was once the main business district, and believe me, there is not much left of it. When you view the following pictures, you will have to agree with me.

I believe that this old building must have been a hotel. The second picture shows stairs leading to the second floor. The little blue sign on the front of the building is for the Masons in Prairie Lea, Texas which is a small town just a few miles to the east of Fentress, Texas.
[attachment 92260 OldBuilding_15-25-08.jpg]

[attachment 92261 OldBuilding_35-25-08.jpg]

This old building appears to have been a gas station, but I am not sure.
[attachment 92262 OldBuilding_25-25-08.jpg]

This old building may have been a grocery store or maybe a hardware store. There seems to be trash everywhere around these old buildings.
[attachment 92264 OldBuilding_45-25-08.jpg]

[attachment 92265 OldBuilding_55-25-08.jpg]

This appears to be the complete police force for Fentress, Texas. The Constable came out of his home and I said hello to him and told him that I was taking a few pictures of the town. He waved and said that was OK and to have a pleasant day. I was across the road and just about this time a couple of dogs made their appearance and I moved on to the next building.
[attachment 92266 PoliceCar5-25-08.jpg]

(Please go to Part #2)

I think that this could have been the town bank. If you look closely, you will see a small safe in front of this building. This could also have been an office for an attorney. It is very difficult to figure out what some of these old buildings could have been.
[attachment 92271 OldBuilding-Bank5-25-08.jpg]

These are two pictures of empty lots with the curbs still in place. Goodness knows what could have been here.
[attachment 92277 Curbsalongstreet_15-25-08.jpg]

[attachment 92283 Curbsalongstreet_25-25-08.jpg]

This is an old church located at the end of the business district. It appears to be a Presbyterian Church and the sign states 1924. The church was empty and there is a "no trespassing" sign in front of it.
[attachment 92273 FentressChurch_15-25-08.jpg]

[attachment 92275 FentressChurch_35-25-08.jpg]

[attachment 92276 FentressChurchSign5-25-08.jpg]

A short distance from the church was the San Marcos River. The heat was starting to take it's toll on me and I did not feel that it was in my best interest to walk the distance required to take a picture of the folks swimming in the river. While I was taking pictures of the old church, several people wearing swimming suits walked by me while heading for the river.

I decided to cut the visit short and head back to San Antonio because the heat was just too much for me at the moment. I did enjoy myself and would like to come back to Fentress, Texas for another visit. I do plan on doing some research prior to another visit. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

decades of people living and [probably] no person has gone over it yet!!!

Thanks Fred for the trip

Calm seas

Mikie

And I would be willing to bet that somewhere near the river would be some sort of a recreation area!!

Sunny skies

Mikie

where I live there is only one or two such towns,if I get a chance I will post a few snapshots.I always feel relaxed when I'm in these abandoned streets.I was at a ghost type town last month,I saw a magestic deer in the grass field,went to get my camera and in a second had no idea where it went.It was just getting light so could have been my imagination.Thanks for taking time and sharing your snapshots with all your buddies here.I will not say who ,but I heard one of the regullers here found a very very hard to find treasure type silver coin,I hope it will be posted soon,I don't think he will mind the little cliffhanger:)

in this small town of Fentress, Texas. I did notice that some of the folks watched me like a hawk as I rode up and down some of those streets. I would like to explore that swimming area down at the river, might be able to find some rings or other good treasure things. While I was taking the pictures of that church, two good looking women in swimming suits parked a car and walked down to the river to swim. As I was leaving, another car with a family pulled up to park and go swimming at the river. With so many people swimming there, surely rings and other good things have been lost down there. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Like stuck in a moment of history. How can any of the residents survive, unless your employed by government? Great shots Fred, You are on a roll!

beat the heck outta burger joints and malls! Thank you for the photos they take one back to a simpler time:thumbup:

it looks like there is an elevated foundation for another building that is gone now.fires and other things can take them out.i'm amazed how as i drive the back roads how many houses i see that are not lived in going to ruin that could probably be fixed up.no for sale signs, nothing.i think people by land around it and don't care about the house or some type of ownership dispute exists where someone may have died.enjoyed the ride fred.

They remind of a simpler life when compared to the "me" society that we now live in. I grew up saying "yes sir" and "no sir" along with "thank you." That has been replaced with "pizz on you, I want it, and I want it now!" Times have changed, small towns are dying while Wal-Marts are growing...eventually we will not have a name, only a number. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

I kinda wish those old houses could talk...would love to hear their stories. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

At the same time I experience sadness knowing that they will soon be gone forever. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Surely there would be some good treasure to be found there...also at that swimming hole. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Building materials cost lots of money now...you would have to do it yourself. I wonder if anything is hidden in that old building? Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

In the hotel and bank shots, it would seem like they could do a western there with a couple of guys flying out through the doors or shooting their way out of the bank. To me they have that western flare to them like I remember as a kid. I wonder what keeps these towns going for income, and if from just the residents, what they do for a living. I would think taxes are cheap, but then again, maybe not. Do these little towns have schools for the kids or do they all travel to a central school for a bunch of schools. Perhaps, even home taught. I'm betting a detector guy would have a great time wander around there or in the river. Even up this way, in the small brooks where there used to be river crossings, the farm people way back then would stop in the brook to swim, cool off, bath etc. I've found some nice silver coins and silver rings in them.

Sad to see it all go to rack and ruin for sure. I'm assuming they are so far between big towns that if some did try to revive one, that it would still be hard to attract people. Just seems like its time came and went and folks moved on and the big highways just by pass them.

I would really enjoy wandering your state. But not in summer. Your winter sounds more like our summer.....

I did get out today and will post some of the pictures later today or tomorrow...

Thanks for post, great job. George-CT

Fentress, Texas school children attend schools at Prairie Lea, Texas...I think it is called the Prairie Lea Independent School District. I think that some of the folks in the small towns seek employment in some of the larger towns or cities. Some will be farmers or ranchers living in the small towns, and some will even be retired folks looking for a low cost place to live. I suspect that the high cost of gas will cause some of these small towns to die even faster as folks will move closer to their place of employment. Yesterday while visiting Fentress, Texas, I did notice that many folks had large gardens in their yards...I even saw a few homes with horses in their yards, some with chickens too! These folks appear to live very conservative...just the old fashion way of living. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

through your state to go west. Dan, thanks for reading my story. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)