Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ferrous 2 tone Smooth

DAN03USMC

Some of you may have read my other post on the regular E-Trac forum. I was saying that all the talk about ferrous sounds got me thinking. I had also watched the video on the Minelab Owners site where the guy was hunting a plowed field with these settings. His name was Editor. There is another one by Gary S.....Thanks guys. Anyway, you can take a look if you have not already. I wanted to talk some more about it, but feel this is a better forum to do so.
I set out today with my goals set small. I was hoping to hope coax out one deep/iron obscured silver from a place I had already detected with my "go to" program. I went to part of the area and pulled a couple of wheats and noticed a little area that I had over looked. LESSON # 1 don't over look the obvious. I was able to pull a barber dime and a merc along with wheats and clad before I was done. Not a real test, for I had not detected this little patch before. I really do like running the ferrous 2 smooth, it makes the coins sing. LESSON # 2 I am not a big fan of Smooth sounds in a place that has alot of conductive trash. It sounds too busy, and I think your ears will become numb to all that sound. It is better suited to those site that have been cleard out, little or no modern trash, or mostly iron old sites.
It was very hot and muggy today, and it looked like some t-storms were moving. I thought I better go over to the area that I had pounded in the past, and to the test. On the way over I pulled a rosie. I got to the area and moved slowly though it. I got two wheats and some small brass thingys, and was happy to get the clear signals from a place I thought I had cleared out. I then got a good but broken signal. it would have been a very good signal in normal tones, but was short for smooth. Definitely a dig signal, everyone would have dug this signal for sure. just not the looong sound of smooth. I dug a nice deep plug, and when I flipped it up removed the loose dirt and probed the hole. I got a beep and it was a very small bullet casing. I thought to myself that is not the tone and/or #s I was digging for. I probed the loose dirt on my towel......nice beep and out pops a 1875 seated dime. Ferrous worked very well.
I do think you could use thees settings in "hunted out" parks etc. with great success. I was running Andy's coin program slightly modified. Ferrous 2 tone smooth. I will have to try all metal next time. I have the perfect spot too. A late 1700's early 1800's old home site that just hasn't produced.

http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac137/dan03usmc/001-1.jpg
http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac137/dan03usmc/002-2.jpg
http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac137/dan03usmc/003-2.jpg
http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac137/dan03usmc/004-1.jpg

....good skills Dan.

I only ever use 2 tone ferrous. I prefer Normal sounds because it gives a nice crisp end to the signal. This way I can pinpoint at a 90 degree angle without having to hit the pinpoint button.

Gaz.

Thanks for the story and pictures. Thank you also for telling us how your settings worked for you!!

NebTrac

SilverEagle, I think you can use it anywhere. It's just that with smooth/ long sounds conductive trash sings all the time. If there is alot of conductive trash, it is just too much.... (for me anyways). I think NebTrac wrote a response saying the same thing in another topic. He articulated it better than I can. It has it's place. I live in New England. There are lots and lots of sites around here (old) where it works really well. Hope this helps. Dan

i havent tried the ferrous 2 tone in local parks but,do you think it will work if the park is somewhat trasy?i use pitch hold alot so i am thinking normal 2 tone?

I am sure it is worth a try. Look at goesforever's posts...he is using it with great success. I think where it will work is in those spots where other detectorist have left items because they were masked by iron. I believe the Etrac to be the best at this already, but this gives you another edge. Maybe if you went with 4 tone you would be able to dope out the good targets a little easier. Dan

oh ok so use the ferrous 4-tone?i will try it out how about in the setup of 2 or 4 tone ferrous,what are the filters set at for the best depth?i mostly use fast-off,deep-on, trash high,and difficult.am i filtering to much?

I think that question would be best answered by someone who lives in your neck of the woods.....In the same state or even better, county. what I do here in Ma. may not work as well where you live. As a rule, I run deep off, fast off, trash high, ground difficult. Cond sounds, 4 tone. gain 30 Lately I have been going over previously hunted spots with Ferrous sounds, 2 tone smooth. There are lots and lots of square nails around here and when you use the latter settings you get short falses on the iron trash. ( A quick broken beep) I feel it allows me to swing more consistently with out having to go back and check every possitive note I would get in normal tones with cond sounds. It is really nice in a plowed field where you are going along at a good clip. If you are going for the deepy's in a hunted out park, I do suggest that you slow down and do the wiggle etc.
I also think that alot of the settings especially audio, is user preference. I also think it is what you are used too. I think that is why the explorer guys stay with their machines. they have learned the subtle things about them that are the difference between a newbie and a pro.
The one thing I do know for sure is that my silver count went way up when I switched from my old brand to the Etrac. It could be that it IS a better unit or maybe just a better FIT for me. I hope this helps. I am by no means a pro. I have access to alot of history and even a broken clock is right twice a day. Dan

I absolutely love the 2 tone ferrous in areas I think I have hunted to death, and even more in area where I keep loosing threshold from all the iron, it is absolutely amazing how fast the etrac's processor is when using this method

Terry, Have you tried long or smooth sounds? I would be interested to hear what your thoughts are on them as opposed to normal. the other question I have for you is on manual vs auto, and how it relates to sweep speed. Have you done any comparisons? I forget which post it is in, but someone mentioned that there is a difference. Lately I have been letting the E find where it wants to be in auto, then going into manual at the same #, or maybe that # +one. I feel like I have stepped up my game.. I haven't been able to get out (wanted to get out ) because of the weather. Tooo dang hot. I am itching to try it out to see if there is much of a difference.

DAN03USMC said:
Terry, Have you tried long or smooth sounds? I would be interested to hear what your thoughts are on them as opposed to normal. the other question I have for you is on manual vs auto, and how it relates to sweep speed. Have you done any comparisons? I forget which post it is in, but someone mentioned that there is a difference. Lately I have been letting the E find where it wants to be in auto, then going into manual at the same #, or maybe that # +one. I feel like I have stepped up my game.. I haven't been able to get out (wanted to get out ) because of the weather. Tooo dang hot. I am itching to try it out to see if there is much of a difference.
I play with auto VS manual and I can't really form an opinion. I guess I don't see any big difference yet. So I have just been trusting the machine and always run auto +3
I have not tried any of the long or smooth, have always used normal.

i always used concuct multi tones in pitch hold,i started using the ferrous 2 tone in normal,istill mostly use deep on fast off low trash and normal when i can get away with it i will experimant with other settings when i get used to the ferrous 2 tone,for the most part it is faster and a lot more stable now,i have found my share of silver no gold tho,but it is amazing so far i am huntin old school yard with alot of trash and the etrac goes right past the rubbish.awesome.where do you guys like to keep the threshold pitch?i am down around 1-2 also the volume gain when using the ferrous 2 tone? thanks

Nice tri fecta.Thats great!

LabradorBob

Bob, I actually got a dime grand slam. (4 different types one hunt) as opposed to the super slam which would have included a capped. I'm not sure if that has ever been done on one hunt. the kinda weird thing was I DIDN"T find a clad dime on that particular hunt. go figure...

Steve, sorry had hadn't looked at this forum in a bit. My settings that I have been using as of late are 2 tone ferrous-smooth. deep off, fast on, high trash-ground difficult. fairly open screen. I made a mistake on my last hunt by not doing setting comparisons on my deeper targets. I had a couple that was giving me a 9-14 / 43-47 signal. with the depth gauge maxed. I should have used it as a learning tool. You know how it goes....when you get that signal at max depth you lose focus. hope this helps HH, Dan

hi goes4ever,i read in an old post by you,that you add discrimination to relic mode or quick mask to make hunting in two tone ferrous more stable.how do you do that?i have read the manual and andies book and i can't figure it out.obviously i'm missing something,but what?okay i'm only new at this,wet behind the ears,so to speak and i thought you might be able to steer me in the right direction.bye for now,blowfly

If you have your two-tone ferrous in relic mode loaded go to your discrimanation setting, select edit, select small cursor size toggle up your target cursor all the way up and all the way to the left to 01-01 then reject that and move the cursor along the top rejecting everything through 01-31 hit your detect button then go to your save function and save it in any mode slot you want.