Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

ferrous coin issues

tlazzz

ferrous coin ctx. in ferrous coin it seems the icon always gets red or a hit in the same area of the screen.and will seem to show a coin,how does the ctx 30 30 react in this mode? ,why does the icon hover in this area,i have dug so many false hits in ferrious coin 12 38 12 40 12 42.please help.is there a better explanation of this mode,doesent seem to get depth in many of the modes.thanks tom

tiazz,

Not entirely sure what you're asking, but I'll try to respond. (Unsure of the meaning of 'the same area of the screen' and 'why does the icon hover in this area?'...which area are you referring to?)
Also when you say 'false hits', do you mean a truly false hit with nothing at all in the hole? Or, do you mean iron junk?

FC (or Ferrous Coin) is actually one of the deepest and best modes to hunt in. And it's the only one that will properly show you multiple targets on the display.
(It really helps to turn 'target trace' on to see those being 'painted'.)

If you're 'painting' a consistent 12:40 / 12:42 on the display, then not finding anything, then I suspect one of a few things:

1. Especially if you're also seeing an additional 'blob' in the lower right hand corner, it's probably rusty deep iron. And you didn't dig deeply enough.
Because of the way tips of iron wire and nail rust into the soil, their conductivity will appear to taper of all the way from iron to highly conductive. It's worse when the ground is damp.
or
2. If it's just a clean 12:42 signal, it's a coin on edge, off to the side of the hole, and you just plain missed it.
or
3. It's a smashed aluminum coke can, and you didn't dig deeply enough.

You can do a couple of things to help:
Use the all-metal pinpoint mode to pinpoint and center the coil over your target from different directions.
Does your display still show a clean12:42 when directly over the target? Dig.
Or does it only appear 'good' after moving off center? Might be rusty nail.
Or do you have a smear from 12:42 all the way down to the lower right? Very likely rusty nail.
Or does the display show a clean 12:42 signal as well as another clean signal to the lower right? Probably a conductor plus a piece of iron. Dig both.

Does the pinpoint center change/drift depending on the angle you sweep when pinpointing? Almost certainly rusty nail.
Does the pinpoint give you two 'centers' from one particular sweep angle? Either: rusty iron (most likely) or coin(s) on edge.

If it's a clean signal, sometimes lifting the coil 6" or more while sweeping will help better center those 'on edge' signals.
A good pinpointer helps with the hard-to-find coins as well.

Good luck,
mike

mike thank you so much for responding to me,i use a good pipoointer ,I'm Farly new in this awesome sport.false hit= did mean iron in the hole. hovering over area means, that in ferrous- coin the icon hovers(bounces around) in the 12 40 area all the time weather lightly painted or not painted at all when in this mode when detecting, right now at home if i go into ferrious -coin as soon as it detects anything at all ,it will hover over 12 40 area with good color, with no interferances from me.and when i switch to high trash the icon will move out of this area,with no other interferances from me. ,i feel i am close to understanding the ctx, but coming from an all sound machine the Excalibur, it has been difficult.i need to have more faith in the machine and under the right conditions,and numbers .i was over at a friends house built in the 1850s my very first time out, i found in 5 minute a 1865 2 cent with my new ctx ,needless to say i was hooked,sense i have found Indian heads and more modern ,there are allot of iron nails and old parts off farm equipment,bolts and such.i know that there is allot of good stuff, it has never been detected before,i need the depth so in many cases i use manual sensitivity,in auto with +2or3 i still don't seem to get the depth and when i do, i get the painting in the icon over the good hit area in ferrous- coin.allot of times i will get a faint painting in the icon in the coin area,i was wondering in this mode will the icon generally stay in this area weather it is painted or not,it seems that in this mode ferrous-coin the icon is always in the good hit area weather painted or not,is this always the case in this mode?.is this when the numbers and the amount of painting comes into play.i have had the icon fully painted with good numbers and dug only to find more iron,so what i am hearing is that if the icon has decent color and good numbers i should have something there,mike i cant tell you how hard it has been for me coming from a strictly sound machine ,in this condition what settings would you start with and what coil?,i have used all of them 6"11"17" coils. the machine works well in all modes but it seems that I'm not getting any depth,most of the things that i have been finding where the machine reacts like it should are only about 4- 5" or so.in order to get any more depth i have to go into man. sensitivity.will this mode affect ferrous -coin.is there any way to see if the machine is working properly,and to make sure I'm getting maximum depth without interfering with its function.thank you for your help,i printed your page and will take it with me in the spring.thanks so much mike,this mode has been the most confusing for me to use,hard to explain, thanks for you help.

tiazzz,

If you're coming from an 'audio only' machine, I can certainly understand the frustration.
While some describe the CTX as a 'turn-on-and-go' machine, I found it to require quite a bit of time and familiarization before the light bulb in my head finally turned on. :)
And it's even more of a 'display info' machine than it's cousin, the E-trac.

One thing to make sure of, is that you double-check your hole after finding the iron. The CTX can 'co-locate' multiple items in the FC mode, and it's tempting to fill the hole and walk away after finding iron.
Check that hole again! Sometimes, you've just cleaned the trash out and left a coin for the next guy. (Even when you do find a coin, check that hole again!)

The only thing you've said that concerns me is your depth numbers...4"-5" is awfully shallow. What kind of ground are you working? and/or What part of the country are you in?
Severely mineralized soils will limit detection depth, but I'm in Colorado (pretty badly mineralized) and I still get 7"-9" regularly. Sometimes deeper, depending on the ground moisture.

Also, how is the EMI/RFI 'electrical noise' in your hunt areas? You want to be sure to always do a 'noise cancel' before hunting, especially near transformers and/or power lines. That can affect depth quite a bit.

The only other thing I might suggest, is that you give Minelab service a call, and mention the depth issue. They might have you send it in for a 'check-up'...that's the only real way to see if the machine is working properly.

Good luck,
mike

thanks mike will do,i be leave that there is something going on, ill sample your suggestions,i live in Michigan and the ground seems to be good as far as mineralization.it would be nice to know that it is totally me,and not the machine. to start..thanks ill call minelab Monday,maby a bug or something from firmware download.it seems to work fine,as suggested per manuf. just all at much shallower depths,ill mention the icon thing too.thank you so much, i hope that you have good luck in your quest to find the mother of all finds,or a just a find like a 20 gold piece te hee.ether way it is one of the funnest things that i have done,i find that it helps me mentally too,just focus on one thing and forget about the rest of the world ,even if it is just for a brief moment, its great.finding that 2 cent piece, you would have thought i found the lost arc,it motivated me to check out1865 all the things that were going on at the time,the history,what other coins that were minted at the time that could be lying in the ground from that time.im 62 and feel like a kid at times,all of the time detecting..... .thanks