Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Finally found my first silver coins for the year

I wasn't even expecting it.On Tuesday I decided to go back to a location that I haven't been to in a while, but in the past has yielded more finds than any other place I have hunted. When I got there I went straight to an area that has yielded a TON of old coins (including my walking liberty half). Id's are really messed up here, probably because there is a layer of tap rock gravel about an inch under the soil:rant: that makes digging a pain. I started out by getting an iffy signal bouncing from the 40's to the 60's hoping for an old nickel but expecting a rusty nail,(I don't know how many of these I have dug in the six inch range here, they give good high tone signals) to my surprise I pulled out a 1930 wheat. The first coin I have found in this particular area in a long time. That made me pretty happy, but I was even happier when about ten minutes later I found another wheat. I then waked a little ways to an area I hadn't hunted as hard and quickly found two more wheats in the 6 inch range and the got another signal exactly like the wheat penny signals. Hoping for silver, but expecting another wheat, I dug down and saw a silver rim. I reached down hoping for a barber or maybe my first seated but pulled out a 1953 Roosevelt instead. Oh well, at least i found a silver coin, my first since last September. A little while later I got a bouncy reading in the 60's that I was hoping would be an old nickel. The coin in hat hole was a nickel, only a dateless buffalo though. I didn't get any more signals in this area so I started walking to another spot at this location. On the way I found a another wheat. The area I was going to hunt has a ton of copper memorials. I think these are more annoying than zincs at this particular location because thy have a bad habit of showing up as a silver dime. I started hunting and found the usual copper pennies and a few nickels, then I got a nice high tone giving a repeatable 82-83-84 signal. This is usually a silver dime signal and I wasn't expecting a memorial because there is usually an 80 every now and then in their signal. Out pops a memorial. Then, right before I left, I got two mid tones. The first was a pencil eraser, and after I dug it I realized there was a high tone signal right next too it. Since it was reading 79-80-81 I assumed it was going to be a memorial. Since I "knew" what it was going to be I dug the other mid tone signal first. It was the ring off an old pull tab. I then dug the high tone signal and got a strong hit with my pro-pointer in the bottom of the hole. I pulled out a hand full of dirt and saw a silver rim. Only another Roosevelt (1950) but I was just happy to find some more silver. This is actually only the second time I have found more than one silver coin in a day. The other time was at this same location. I finished with 5 wheat cents, one buffalo nickel, two silver dimes, 81 cents in clad, and a pouch full of junk:rofl:
Considering those are only my 20th ans 21st silver coins metal detecting, I am pretty happy. In its price range I don't any other detector will beat the AT Pro for coin hunting. At any rate, if someone offered to trade me any detector in its price range, I would refuse.

Sounds like you had a great hunt. Great write up as well. Congrats.