Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Finally Getting to Hunt and Hitting a Grand Slam!

Gonehunting

I know it is been several months since I have been able to post anything. We are still in the process of moving and the internet service here is none at best. I haven't time to get out much and the hunts I have went on there was not much left. So I went back to my old way of hunting instead of hitting the large old two/three story homes built around the turn of the century, I am beginning to hunt pre1940 homes. These don't look that promising, but are in the older areas of town and have the original sidewalks.
I gained permission at a house that was built in 1948. I knew the landowner well and he was more than happy to let me detect a little. There wasn't much there but I found several wheats, a pocket knife, a no date barber dime, and a good for 5cents in trade token. It was a maverick(no town or affiliation). We discussed the other homes on the block that were all built about the same time and I started getting permissions. One spot in particular was a vacant lot in between 2 homes. They both appeared to be built in the 30's and 40's so I headed there. Immediately I found 3 wheats'(one a 1920) in the same hole. All told I found 16, ranging in years from 1909(VDB) to 1947.

msPw6.jpg

16 Wheat pennies 1909-1947
FUtvj.jpg

1909 VDB No S

The first silver of the day came as a 1947 D Roosevelt.
cooeP.jpg

'47 Rosy

I really expected to find several of these because of all the wheats that were coming out of the ground. Nothing, and I mean nothing prepared me for the next couple of finds...

I had grided the area closest to the road and was working up the west side that had a gravel drive the encircled the lot. A couple of planted bushes and lined the drive and I started going around them and the first couple of swings the tones were all over so I slowed down and bam! mid 12-40's. I was using the combined/ferrous coin setting to get the good clear tone, then switching to 50 tone/low trash to see what type of coin it was. This target was promising to be silver but... well...
KsHyB.jpg

1887 Seated Liberty Dime

I dug another wheat and got a lower 10-38,39. I wasn't thinking Indian Head but was certainly glad when he showed..
0KMSI.jpg

1881 Indian Head Cent... My oldest IH to ever...

I still was working around the bush when the very next target was a low 12-12, 12-11.
HaBST.jpg

1928 Buffalo Nickel

I moved around some more and dug more wheats, I kept coming back to the bush and this time a the silver was back to back... First was this 1943 Mercury Dime.
PNyH7.jpg

3rd Silver of the day 1943 Mercury Dime

Getting excited that I had gotten my first trifecta(sorta) with the CTX I wasn't expecting the 4th silver... and the Grand Slam...
MCXF0.jpg

1912 Barber and a Silver Grand Slam!

I was pretty much done but had a lot of daylight left and a few minutes left on the camera so I dug a few more wheats and got this really neat Modern Health Crusader Pin. I had found one of these before in this same town a few weeks earlier.
wyQOt.jpg

Modern Health Crusader 19-20 made for the National Tuberculosis Assn. NY by the Greenduck Co CHI.

I really can't call it a good coin hunt without finding at least one foreign coin and I wasn't disappointed lol.
npcHw.jpg

1900's Chinese Tai Ching Copper Coin
fRhrb.jpg

Chinese Coin Obverse

I was able to get all of these on film, and is posted on my YT channel. I hope you enjoy and will try to post more frequently, but until we get settled it will be difficult..
Thanks for reading
Evan
Gonehunting for History

Just curious what mode you were in when you got that Indian head reading? I thought they were supposed to be in the 12:33-36 range in ferris coin mode? Were you in high trash mode? Or am I missing something? Awesome finds though man!

neicebdog said:
Just curious what mode you were in when you got that Indian head reading? I thought they were supposed to be in the 12:33-36 range in ferris coin mode? Were you in high trash mode? Or am I missing something? Awesome finds though man!
I just reviewed the vid and in combined/ferrous coin it was a 12-38, I switched to 50 tone/low trash and it was a 12-39.. It could have been because of the corrosion on it.. I have found quite a few IH's and never have seen one that had corrosion like this one.. kind of reminds me of a zinc penny the way it looks...

WAY TO GO MAN!!!!!! What an exciting way to get back at it. You really scored with that GRAND SLAM!! So how often are you going to get out there now? We missed seeing your videos and finds. I am still using your mode. It is truly easy and very productive to use.

HH
Rocco

Great group of recoveried GH. It's always nice to dig silver. But hitting a Grand Slam of dimes is a GREAT hunt! Plus, a foreign coin, a cool token, 16 Wheats, an IH cent and a Buffalo nickel.......I'm guessing you'll be doing some more detecting in those pre-1940's homes! Nicely done. Thanks for sharing the pics. HH Randy

rjfjedi said:
WAY TO GO MAN!!!!!! What an exciting way to get back at it. You really scored with that GRAND SLAM!! So how often are you going to get out there now? We missed seeing your videos and finds. I am still using your mode. It is truly easy and very productive to use.

HH
Rocco
Usually only getting to hunt once a week.. I am glad the mode is helping you.. I use a lot plus a 50tone setting.. It is helping to identify the coins more accurately.. Good Luck.. will try to get out more. Planning a return trip to that spot plus a 30's home that is next door. Should be good.. taking Caprock with me.. got him fired up when he saw the finds.. lol

Digger said:
Great group of recoveried GH. It's always nice to dig silver. But hitting a Grand Slam of dimes is a GREAT hunt! Plus, a foreign coin, a cool token, 16 Wheats, an IH cent and a Buffalo nickel.......I'm guessing you'll be doing some more detecting in those pre-1940's homes! Nicely done. Thanks for sharing the pics. HH Randy
Lol yeah for sure.. I was doing that quite a bit in Durant.. One of my best yards I found a couple of Indian Territory tokens and the 1914D wheatie in a yard that the house was built in 1938 so you never know what your going to find..

GH, that was a great hunt and outstanding finds. That shows me that you really know what your doing with the CTX. I also downloaded your program, but have been waiting until I learn the machine a little more before trying it. Hope I can get as good as you someday in the future. I am still looking for more silver and would love to fine some of those Indian Heads also. Keep those pictures coming.

Great job Evan

Thanks Sir. The combined/ferrrous coin should be one of the easier ones to learn. I started using it when I got frustrated using the stock coin program on the CTX. I was an experience E-Trac user and it was hard to get what the CTX was saying. With the combined I was able to Learn the new language the FBS2 was throwing at me and was immediately 100x more successful with it.. I was to the point that I was ready to get rid of it...thats how much it helped me...
I have had a lot of users first time Minelab'rs and experienced ones use the program and tell me how much it has helped them. Give it a try. Pay special attention to 12-39 to 12-44 this is where most of the good targets will hit.. now not all but most... Quarters, dimes, Pennies, Halves, Dollars... At least in time that I have been using it. Now I have been using the Combined to locate the targets and the 50 tone to figure out which coin it is.. I think if you try the GH program you will like it.. Good Luck! Evan
dadzjunk said:
GH, that was a great hunt and outstanding finds. That shows me that you really know what your doing with the CTX. I also downloaded your program, but have been waiting until I learn the machine a little more before trying it. Hope I can get as good as you someday in the future. I am still looking for more silver and would love to fine some of those Indian Heads also. Keep those pictures coming.

It seems I used to always find round coins with a square hole in them when I first started out. Nothing in years for me. Nice pics.

G..

Thank you sir..

Crusty said:
That's some good hunting......great selection of coins dug:clapping:

Dave
Thank you sir..

Big Boys Hobbies said:
Great job Evan! I still hate you! :poke:
:nopity:
Caprock and I are going today back to that same street so hopefully you can hate me some more..:rofl:

Awesome hunter there Evan - I'm hoping for another CTX seated soon! Huge congratulations on that grand slam, VDB and other goodies. You just never know what's gonna turn up in some of those lawns.

doc1964 said:
Awesome hunter there Evan - I'm hoping for another CTX seated soon! Huge congratulations on that grand slam, VDB and other goodies. You just never know what's gonna turn up in some of those lawns.
Thanks Doc.. We hit another smaller house today and it produced two IH's 1890 was the oldest.. Also found a sewing machine token from Whites sewing machines.. its the second one of those I have found...