Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Finally got to try a E Trac for myself

Rick(ND)

I did some air testing and it was impressive and building a program was better then the Explorer. I also see a problem but nothing you cant fix in the preset coin mode. I took and stacked some quarters and think it was 5 and I could not get a signal on them tried 4 no luck tried 3 still no luck so I went to 2 and got a great signal. Now went back to 5 and put it in the iron mask mode with no disc and it picked them up no problem. Went back to the coin program and it still would not pick up the quarters, so I just went to edit and in the coin program I accepted the 5 quarters and seen where it took a little bit of the black in the top right hand corner off that is for the hot rocks and tried it again and it worked excellent. We also had a silver dollar read 1-44 which is odd that high of a conductivity number and it too would not pick it up unless you went to a iron mask wide open and after we did the accept for the 5 quarters it worked fine in coin mode, just got to take a little off of the hot rocks on the black on the top right so it is nothing serious unless you are hunting for a pile of money.
Now I got a chance to try it in the field for a hour and if it keeps working like this I know I will be seeing some great coins and I am sure we are all going to see some great find that have the E-Trac and get to know them a bit. I have been over this one yard with the SE Pro with my X-8 coil on it as I borrowed out my 11 inch pro coil to a guy waiting for a new coil to get here. Any way this area is a bit trashy with nails and other junk as I seen with my SE Pro I always run in ferrous mode, but got a 1906 IH and a 1916D Wheaties in 2 hours plus a bit of trash. Went back again a few days latter and got 1 more Wheaties and a token. Well Friday I put the 8 inch Sun Ray coil on my E-Trac to try it out and run the coin program with the factory setting, but bumped up the auto sensitivity to a +3 and run fast and run the trash to high trash, everything else was the same. Did my noise cancel and away I went right over the same area I was before as my tracks were still in the grass. It ran so smooth I thought it wasn't working and had to wave a coin across the coil to see it was working. Got a nice high pitched tone and read 12 ferrous and 41 conductivity I believe it was and it pinpointed real loud so I thought it was a new penny, but the depth gauge showed 3/4 down so I dug a plug and went in with the X-1 probe and and seen it was a bit deeper with a nice tone. Dug out a Wheaties at around 9 inches, went in the hole again and it just nulled of iron. Didn't move more than 3 feet and another one that sounded good and it too was a Wheaties at around 8 inches and after the penny come out it only nulled of iron. Now that was 2 Wheaties in the first 10 minutes and my first 2 targets i dug. I did notice it wasn't nulling as much as my Explorers do and when they did it was a short null and back to a threshold.I then dug my 3rd Wheaties that sounded so good and the ferrous was running at 11-12 that too was over 8 inches deep and I was very impressed how it worked so good. I then got another signal that was iffy so I went to my iron mask which is wide open so I hear everything and got a better signal, but the ferrous numbers where going from 18-35 while the conductivity was in the 40s, but this one was a weaker signal so I decided to check it out more. I dugout a deep plug and no signal in the hole or the plug so I dug out more dirt and still no signal so I had to check it again with the 8 inch coil and it was till there, so I dug deeper until I got a signal and it was still iffy sounding so I dug more out and finally found it as it was a rusty nail and my hole was a good 12-13 inches deep witht he 8 inch coil. I just couldn't believe it was that deep. Went on a little more in the coin program and got a fair reading that wasn't real repeatable, but yet enough to know it was seeing a target that also read 41 conductivity and ferrous was jumping 11-14 so I thought it maybe good and switch to my iron mask and the signal got much better but the ferrous now read 20-35 so I thought it was iron and switched back to my coin pattern and it still read,but not as good of a signal, but repeatable with the ferrous at 11-14 so I dug it and got out a Wheaties at 8 inches again and there was a nail too about a inch away i seen with the X-1 probe and when I checked the hole after the Wheaties come out with the coil again only to get a solid null of iron, so there was more iron under the penny. I dug a couple pieces of can slaw and another small nail and one pull tab that was iffy and just had to see what it was.
My trash count was much less than before, the signals that read good were good targets while those with the ferrous jumping from around 19-35 seem to be all trash targets.
Very impressive detector for the first time out and depth was excellent and it seem to separate well, so I am going to try it at another place on Saturday if I can get out where I have got some IH pennies and barber dimes and there is iron there too so it should be interesting.
The E-Trac does seem to run smoother and I can swing the coil faster too and seem to tell the good from the bad easier too than the Explorer.
Like I say it is going to be interesting when we get to know it even better and start seeing some great coins found.

Rick
Great post I really am getting to like the Etrac its killer on Nickles I have been going over area that me and my Buddys have pounded and still finding old coins HH RonC

I tried the same experiment with the 5 quarters and got exactly the same results. I also edited me coin program to except it and it worked just like you said.