Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Finally! Silver with the Deep Silver program :detecting:

pulltabMiner

I went out this morning and decided to restore the Deep Silver program to factory settings. This put back the Mixed Mode audio. This time, however, I was not confused nor intimidated by it and I actually found it quite useful.

The signal was among iron and trash but the tone and VDI appeared consistently, albeit briefly, among the iron tones and the rejected VDIs. Having the All Metal signal present allowed me to locate the dime signal by very slowly, and I do mean VERY slowly moving the coil around all the other signals. I dug a 7 inches deep hole to get this 1940D Mercury dime out of the ground.

By the time I left the park, I was feeling very comfortable with the Deep Silver program in Mixed Mode.

Nice find David

Hi Miner: nice merc.I've struggled with that "deep silver" prog but believe it has potential in my heavily hunted enviorment.Can I ask what coil did u use,and what was the vdi of the merc in all that trash and iron.I have a tough time even when I 0 out the unwanted vdi and tones.The all metal seems to bury any good signal in my mixed mode operation,in spite of a very slow swing.I sounds like u solved your issue with a restore to stock settings,however I didn't notice any improvement when I tried it.I'll take another look based on ur success.........Thanks jack from penna

jack,

I use the stock 10' DD coil.

The VDI jumped from 75 through 77. It was the tone that was more consistent but the VDI showed enough to lead me to believe I was looking at a real target.

I know what you are saying when you say that the All Metal buries the good signal. It took me a little while to understand the relationship of the all metal signal to the real signal. I was expecting them to hit at exactly the same time but it didn't work that way for me. The All Metal signal starts before the discrimination signal.
Once I restored the program, I changed the following:
Sensitivity settings: Rx=10, AM=75, Disc=92

Now that I understand a little more, I see that the AM signal has the VCO On on the DS program. I really liked that too as it better helped me visualize where the targets were in relation to each other.

What I really liked about the Mixed Mode is that when I moved the coil very slowly, I could hear the changes in the AM as I hit the other signals in the hole, which incidentally were a thin piece of wire and a pulltab without the beaver tail.

I am still not sure if I can get deeper than 8 inches at the park. In my yard, I can pick out a 8'' deep dime easily with the DS program. I can get an iffy signal on the 10' dime with the AM part of the signal barely audible. I would dig a signal like that ONLY because I dig all iffy signals. In my city, that's all the signals that are left in our parks.

Last, the thing I really hate about the DS program is that I am back to digging deep, rusted bottle caps. With the C&J program I very rarely dig them anymore.

I hope this helps.

David

Hey Dave:thanks for the reply ,all of which makes good sense to me.I'll giver a try after the restore and see what turns up.I have a sense that I sweep too fast based on my old detector days, and have to make that mental adjustment,easier said that done with an old coinmaster tr guy.Thanks again...Jack from penna

In mixed mode, the all metal will sound until the disc channel becomes strong enough to sound. Then all metal goes silent. In stereo mixed mode the all metal continues and doesn't go silent. You continue to hear AM in one ear and Disc in the other at the same time.

Deep silver disc's out many VDI leaving only the silver VDI. As the 2.5kHz goes deeper the VDI shift down on the VDI scale. Also Discing out the VDI below 65 the detector becomes less sensitive to VDI above and below 65. For the very deepest silver it could be useful to except more of the rejected VDI.

Also raising RX [size=large]could[/size] get you deeper as well as an increase in disc sensitivity. Fine tune the 3 sensitivities, go slow, try both 5 Hz filters.

Rob (IL) said:
In mixed mode, the all metal will sound until the disc channel becomes strong enough to sound. Then all metal goes silent. In stereo mixed mode the all metal continues and doesn't go silent. You continue to hear AM in one ear and Disc in the other at the same time.

Deep silver disc's out many VDI leaving only the silver VDI. As the 2.5kHz goes deeper the VDI shift down on the VDI scale. Also Discing out the VDI below 65 the detector becomes less sensitive to VDI above and below 65. For the very deepest silver it could be useful to except more of the rejected VDI.

Also raising RX [size=large]could[/size] get you deeper as well as an increase in disc sensitivity. Fine tune the 3 sensitivities, go slow, try both 5 Hz filters.

Thank you Rob! I am excited to try this out again today.