Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Find log with readings and settings...???

Roland58

As a newbie to the CTX, I have been giving thought to carrying a little notepad with me, to write down the readings I dig and what was found. I plan to keep it as detailed as possible, i.e. multiple targets, settings, environment, etc.

Would anyone else be interested in seeing something like this? I have seen the "sample signals" for all the different coins and rings, but, for the most part, all of my 12/08's have been can cabbage and others have returned the same thing or similar. A 12/13 is about the only signal I am comfortable putting money on.......it will be a nickel just about every time. Dimes and pennies runt he gamut from 12/32 up to 12/43, mixed in with a lot of the can slaw, gum wrappers, etc. A 12/45 is a pretty sure bet for a quarter, but, I wouldn't bet the farm.

I know the only way to be sure of what you are hearing is to dig it. But, it would be nice to have a better idea of what to expect. What do y'all think? Waste of time because we need to dig every signal anyway?

It's not a bad thing to do. Like you said, it can give you a better idea of what to expect before you dig. But, we all know that so many conditions can change id's that you can't depend entirely on what an object came in last time to show up again every time.

Another thing I've noticed is that IDs change based on geographical location, also. Out here where I hunt in Idaho, zincs are almost always 12-37 (unless they're severely corroded), Wheats are 12-39 or 12-40 95% of the time. Modern copper Lincolns are usually 12-44. My clad dimes are usually at 12-43, but silver dimes are almost always 13-45. Quarters are 12-46 and sometimes silver ones will be 13-46. You're right about the nickels being very consistent at 12-13, but they will vary a little. I have that bin set from 12-10 to 12-16. I've dug over 400 nickels this year compared to 24 total last year. I've just gotten to the point where I dig almost all signals that are consistent from several sweep angles and I'll even dig one-way signals if the numbers look good. I dig some trash, but I dig silver, too.

Roland58 said:
As a newbie to the CTX, I have been giving thought to carrying a little notepad with me, to write down the readings I dig and what was found. I plan to keep it as detailed as possible, i.e. multiple targets, settings, environment, etc.

Roland, If you use the Find Point feature when locating a find, each item is assigned the next number, for example: FP003 then FP004 etc. (I make a note in my cell phone FP 1 is a 1898 dime or whatever, or take a snapshot of the item with the phone, just so I know what is what.) The date, time, TID numbers, depth, lat and lon, and mode settings are all tagged on the FP. (See Picture) Once down loaded into XChange2, you can open each FP and rename it from the number that the CTX assigned to it. Also, you can then add any notes or add pictures of the item if you have any from the field or taken later. The FE/CO numbers and Depth cannot be edited. there is also a "snapshot" of the disc settings and Tone ID Profile being used at the time of the FP creation......Sometimes notes are helpful. I have found that my cell phone eliminates the need for a pad and pen, however...

C&RHunter, that is a super idea and Masonjar, your readings are right in line with mine, even though I'm in NE Texas. It's just going to take me a while to learn a new "language"......the CTX is a different animal than my F75, for sure!

Ditto on this procedure it works great. I have had only one problem, as soon as I turned my pin pointer on the settings changed. I started hitting the find point option before digging and would wait to save it after I recovered the target.
HH
Mike

C&RHunter said:
Roland58 said:

Roland, If you use the Find Point feature when locating a find, each item is assigned the next number, for example: FP003 then FP004 etc. (I make a note in my cell phone FP 1 is a 1898 dime or whatever, or take a snapshot of the item with the phone, just so I know what is what.) The date, time, TID numbers, depth, lat and lon, and mode settings are all tagged on the FP. (See Picture) Once down loaded into XChange2, you can open each FP and rename it from the number that the CTX assigned to it. Also, you can then add any notes or add pictures of the item if you have any from the field or taken later. The FE/CO numbers and Depth cannot be edited. there is also a "snapshot" of the disc settings and Tone ID Profile being used at the time of the FP creation......Sometimes notes are helpful. I have found that my cell phone eliminates the need for a pad and pen, however...

Gold can come in at so many different readings. This one was showing 12/02 18k[attachment 277178 phpHvGvmZPM.jpg]
This one was reading 12/19 10k[attachment 277179 phpnUTRVPPM.jpg]
This one was hitting at 12/29 14k[attachment 277180 phpRbRaJEPM.jpg]
And this one was at 12/39 22k[attachment 277181 phpmsXipcPM.jpg]
I have dug a lot of pull tabs and can slaw and expect to dig a lot more.

2ndoldman,
Your pics and readings have given me a new realization of what to dig with the CTX.......everything! It is no wonder that people find more good stuff with the CTX, its' incredible depth ability. coupled with having to dig everything with 10, 11, 12 or 13 for an Fe reading, we are bound to hit some good stuff at some point. So far, however, all of my good 12 Fe reading have turned out to be can shrapnel or some other worthless booger. I have nailed down the nickel signal and pretty much, the quarter signal (12/13 and 12/46 respectively) and with the Target Trace, it is pretty easy to pick out a good signal from amongst a lot of trash.
I've had this machine less than a month, so, I have a LOT of learning left to accomplish. My determination exceeds the difficulty.....I WILL get there!

Roland if you are in the states you are lucky with your modern coins. Here in canada our modern clad is 90+% steel and it can and does run the full spectrum (depends on how rusted it is) and The only way to get it is to dig EVERYTHING. HH and you will get it sooner than later.

2ndoldman said:
Roland if you are in the states you are lucky with your modern coins. Here in canada our modern clad is 90+% steel and it can and does run the full spectrum (depends on how rusted it is) and The only way to get it is to dig EVERYTHING. HH and you will get it sooner than later.

I had no idea your coinage had changed so much....when did this take place? That's worse than our pennies going from copper to zinc with very thin copper plating! They don't last long in the ground, especially if the plating has been nicked....they just crumble away! I used to live in Sault Ste. Marie, (Michigan, not Ontario), many moons ago in the mid 60's and you had beautiful coinage then. Are your pennies still copper? I always liked a new Canuck penny with that big maple leaf on it....thought it was one of the prettier coins.

Look at the good side, old man.....you can set your machine to silver and just find the old coins!!

Check out this link.http://www.bcscta.ca/resources/hebden/chem/Coin%20Compositions.pdf and look at what happened in 2000.

2ndoldman said:
Check out this link.http://www.bcscta.ca/resources/hebden/chem/Coin%20Compositions.pdf and look at what happened in 2000.

Oh, man, I had no idea. You could probably do pretty good with nothing but a magnet~!!

After concerts some people do go over the ground with those industrial magnets they use for removing nails from the grass. Thinking of getting one myself.

You need to borrow an MRI machine from the local hospital. Just set it up in the middle of the concert field and turn it on. Make sure you are well protected first!! :clapping:

......and when you can no longer pick your feet up, it is time to "change" your boots?