Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Finding a Sovereign

smkunder

I always lurk on this site and am intrigued by the dedication to these Sovereigns, I am a Minelab person and have a CTX and Excalibur II, I keep thinking I might like to pick up a good Sovereign . So I assume the used market is the only way now. I did pick up the Deus, also and found out it is too techie for me so I will be selling that and stay Minicab only. So what is the best source for these machines and are there preferred models.

The only market for Minelab Sovereign machines is the used market. Minelab quit manufacturer of the GT which was the last Sovereign model Dec 2012. Occasionally one will be for sale on one of the forums. Some show up on the big auction network. Usually at fairly high prices for used equipment.

I purchased my first Detector in August 2012. Bought the Sovereign GT at the recommendation of my Brother In Law. I honestly thought that I had wasted my money as I could not understand what the machine was telling me. I was digging so much trash that I thought that I was going to have to purchase a garbage truck to haul it away.

I put a meter on the Gt and the light at the end of the tunnel got to be just a bit brighter. The machine continues to teach me what it is saying and how to use it. I mainly hunt coins and jewelry and the machine has paid for itself more than once in the past three years. Since Minelab saw fit to quit manufacturing the machine and some time in the future one will not be able to get them repaired I purchased a second GT to have as a backup when that day arrives.

George is correct,you'll have to buy a used one.I would stay away from the Original Sovereign.The older models can be a good bargain with extra accessories,but the older BBS coils don't add much value.I would go with a good clean Elite or GT with a Tornado coil. Sovereigns hold their resale value for good clean units that haven't been over modded out.Good Luck Ron

Well I will start the search, seems like you guys are really happy with these units.

Im not seeing what advantage you believe you might get from the Sov. You have a CTX and Xcal. Unlike the Xcal which I believe is deeper in PP mode I dont feel the same about the Sov. Dont get me wrong the Sov is a great beach machine IF you dont have a CTX. Otherwise. .... depth and sensitivity and waterproof may go to the CTX.

dewcon4414 said:
Im not seeing what advantage you believe you might get from the Sov. You have a CTX and Xcal. Unlike the Xcal which I believe is deeper in PP mode I dont feel the same about the Sov. Dont get me wrong the Sov is a great beach machine IF you dont have a CTX. Otherwise. .... depth and sensitivity and waterproof may go to the CTX.

You are probably right I just had the thought that if I sold my Deus, which I am not feeling the "love with" I might have some funds available to play with and the Sovereign was peaking my interest. Seems I have never had any complaints with Minelab other than the weight and how I feel after an all day swing.

There was some chatter on here a few years back about the ones made in Ireland being better quality than the Malaysian made ones.... there still seems to be a good demand for them as those that get advertised on here get purchased rather quickly...

There is aways going to be that argument .... much like people argue over newer and older brands. Why do people want Sovs for the beach? They are simple to use, deep, little better on lower tones.... and they are cheaper than a new machine. Im considering going the other route..... sell off my 8" moded Xcal and Sov GT to pick up a closet CTX. The Sov is just affordable beach power.

I have both also. I love my GT for the Dirt but my hearing (and the headphones on the Excal) is not good enough for me to dirt fish with the Excal. I do like to get wet when the surf allows so I use the GT for dirt fishing and the Excal for the beach and the two of them make an old man happy. Both of them have paid for themselves in less than three years.

A lot has to do with getting a little more depth with the Sov and its ability to choose your headphones or size of coil. The salt or IM setting on the Xcal is a little different than the Sov witch i believe costs it a little depth. BUT..... even after adjusting the tones on the Sov i cant quite get the clarity/separation i do on the Xcal. As far as those phones...... thats a non issue since there are several people who will do that mod for you including Kelleyco. Ole Beach Nut still has the BEST phones for the swap.

I believe more will go to the CTX because of the ability to adjust the tones and its depth for dry sant hunting. But its still a little heavy so for some hip or chest mounting goes to the Sov. Also, i like a longer swing for beach hunting and most dirt machine is limit to right in front of you or if you extend the shaft it throws you off balance. You just cant beat a straight shaft for covering a lot of sand.

I haven't used mine in about 5 or more Years. It was a Terrific Beach machine .I had 2 ( 550 Meters ) and wish someone knew where the Circuit Boards where made. I use my Excalibur with an 8 inch Coil and its also Terrific on the Beach-goldnugget-May Beach Finds attached Flat Buttons on the Left and Coins on the Right- The Plate is a New York Militia Plate 1820-1830's