Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Finding coins in the null

Big Boys Hobbies

I read several posts of finding coins in the null of the threshold. If my old SE was "nulling" it would not sound off on a coin at all. Any and all info/findings on this would be appreciated!

Could be that no coins were in that null, on my explorer II with only the top right corner opened I had many nulls and I would stop the swing and when the threshold would return I would move the coil an inch every two seconds then I would get a coin signal, but not all the time, maybe one out of every 20 nulls or so.

It depends on the sweep direction.............iron first ....coin second.....Possible null, and no coin signal

or coin first and iron second. Then the signal possibilities depended on sweep speed and coin to iron mass / orientation...etc.

So many variables.....That's the enigma of metal detecting.....and the E in E-Trac..?????????????

MattR.UK.

The "sound off' off of another metal(coin) coming through the background threshold null is what is sought within that threshold null.

If you were to run All Metal SOUNDS FERROUS so that most iron was represented by a low tone ( no discrimination patterns) on both the E-trac or (the SE in Ironmask and Smartfind) then there there will be NO threshold null.

Two things I'd look for in the SE was where the location and the behavior of the cursor and the possibility of at least a tone, other than the low tone . There have been cases where I only had a bouncing cursor and no tone differential and that to me, meant it was worth investigating what causes that. Some times it was a deep coin, so on that case the null was irrelevant and I could not rely on a coin sounding off or coming through as a tone differential.

Soon as you include a level of discrimination , a null will occur when you pass over an object that is comprised of the material that's been excluded within the realms of a detectors setup..............therefore it will null over that excluded material.

The ability to separate the excluded material(the stuff that is using the null abilities IF you have set the detector to do so) and the material you want to hear(eg: coin) at a depth and with in certain ground conditions is where a detectors abilities mainly lie.

If we're to use absolute AM setting in the E-trac or SE then there is NO nulling of the threshold, not even momentary, when you pass over a desirable or undesirable target. Depends on what you want to find I guess. Not all "desirable" targets are non ferrous.

The E-trac , Explorer's and some other detectors will see through this "appointed" null and depending on a number settings or two, will also determine, in some detectors, what it MAY or most likely MIGHT be that is laying nearest to, under, above or next to the included object/s mass that is causing the null.

Set up the detector so that you can bare with all that background noise of AM sounding of (lower all the volumes and increase the gain) "Tip" sensitivity slightly over the edge(HOT). If the detector was able to see the coin in the other stuff most likely it will..................BUT........................only if it can and there is no "black art" to this fact.

The E-trac can see quite well through this stuff. It's the latest design that takes into account some things that the others do ....but SEEMS to do this better.

I hope this helps.

David E Di

it depends on what your running your disc at.. I am almost always in a null, at the cellar holes.. but still get coins coming thru, and everything else that is not iron or completely masked by iron.. It is why i run with so little disc, just iron mask one notch.. only thing nulling it is iron, and less chance of a blend of iron and other disc to not let the coin come thru the null